My 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV Means the world to me. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV Means the world to me.

Reaction score
City, State
Victorville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hey guys , new member here. I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 OHV And 5R55E Trans , with 255,000 on her. Body and paint are still damn near immaculate. The truck gets most of my attention not only because my love of all things automotive but because shes getting older. Im a mostly self taught mechanic ( thanks dad, who had me doing brake jobs at 5 years old) and also a self taught welder (flux core and arc). I look forward to being a part in this community. Im also quite knowledgeable in 98 to 03 ford rangers so if anyone has any questions involving those years dont hesitate to ask!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wicked cool
So if you know 98-03 Rangers then you should know 04-11 rangers also
And the 95-01 Explorer and mountaineer are ALOT like the 98+ ranger, so are Sport tracs and 2 door sports up to 2004
So you should know a great deal about those vehicles also!

Welcome to the community!!
Lets see your 99!

Pictures!!

Welcome. X2 on some pics. Here is a pic of my 00 Ranger that I swapped the 00 lights & grille for the 01 grille & lights. Also my wife's 99 Sport & my 69 Mustang in the garage.

100_1434.JPG

yeah buddy! Looks so familiar!

Ford family!!

Honestly dont many current pics! Cant believe that but the side shot is most recent. She has since gotten a new bumper and head lights (upgraded to LED) . New 2wd grille cause i like the look more than my stock 4x4 grille, new emblems all around, 2" lift in the rear to even it out and a few others i cant think of off the top of my head. I like the stock look but with my own personal touches i feel it just looks clean. And yes same goes for 95-01 explorers except the 5.0 models but i didnt know about the sport tracs . Good to know! Do either of you happen to know a thing or two about rebuilding a 5R55E?

20190307_165632_HDR.jpg

20190311_205914_HDR.jpg

Also mike65, the mustang in the garage looks sweet. Me and my pops restored a 73 nova ss not long ago , and soon enough itll be mine ( when i can afford it and the gas mileage) lol

Who needs help rebuilding a 5r55e? There is a plethora of info on this site about reman the 5r........
That is one clean white Ranger! I love it

Who needs help rebuilding a 5r55e? There is a plethora of info on this site about reman the 5r........
That is one clean white Ranger! I love it
Thanks alot man! I try. But my main worry is will i be able to accomplish rebuilding my 5r even though I have very little knowledge into automatic transmissions well into rebuilding them at least

Not a good trans to learn on
the 5r55e is one of the most complex automatics there are from a rebuilding stand point. Not a good trans to learn on unless you have lots of patience and $$$, be willing to install and remove it a few times before you get it right. There are special tools involved and lots and lots of know how.

IMO better off buying a known good low mile unit from a later model and swapping it in

Did you know the 5r55e is actually a 4 speed automatic? The computer creates a false second gear by combining 1st gear with overdrive. This is one of the reasons it is not an easy re build........

the 5r55e is one of the most complex automatics there are from a rebuilding stand point. Not a good trans to learn on unless you have lots of patience and $$$, be willing to install and remove it a few times before you get it right. There are special tools involved and lots and lots of know how.

IMO better off buying a known good low mile unit from a later model and swapping it in

Did you know the 5r55e is actually a 4 speed automatic? The computer creates a false second gear by combining 1st gear with overdrive. This is one of the reasons it is not an easy re build........
I did know the false second gear thing but what later model years are compatible with my 99? Im quite short on $ and gotta get the truck running right in less than 2 weeks now

5r55e behind the sohc engine until 2011 will work just fine. (OHV will work too but the last year of pushrod OHV engine was 2000)

98-01 Explorer, 01-04 sport or sport trac, 98-11 Ranger, mazda B4000 will work also
The later model trucks 02+ have a nice 5r55e, I have two downstairs both from 07 Rangers....you can find these things on Craigslist, local wreckers or even Ebay

Well I went ahead and rebuilt it with much success. ATSG followed to a Tee was the only way it was possible . Also learned that the false 2nd gear has nothing to do with transmission internals it's just computerized that way so it made no difference from a 4 speed. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back