My 99 XLT 5.0L Gibson Stainless Exhaust Sound Files | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 99 XLT 5.0L Gibson Stainless Exhaust Sound Files

99explorer5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0L
Sup,

Someone sent me a PM asking me about my exhaust and how it sounded so i made these sound files for him to hear and decide if thats the sound he was looking for and i figured i would let the rest of you enjoy them as well.

At this time i cant contribute to the site and become elite but i know alot of members of this board are curious as to how the Gibson Exhaust sounds on a 5.0L so here you go this is my contribution.

I installed it myself with the help of a friend that works at a dealership. I needed a lift becuase I wanted to take my factory exhaust off in one piece so i could have it in case i wasnt happy with how it sounded. The hardest part was taking the factory exhaust off. The Gibson bolted on nice and there was no trouble at all installing it. When i was looking for an exhaust i wanted something that was a factory bolt on and stainless so it wouldnt require any modifications and would last. I have had friends get custom piping done and the pipes rotted out quick.

There was also another question on a previous post about the pipe being smaller than 3". I couldnt measure my pipe because i had the Gibson tip on it but the tip itself measures 3 inches across and the pipe is probably around 2.5 inches.

I think that the Gibson uses chambers and not packing in their muffler (correct me if i am wrong) but it seems to be a little louder now than it was when i first installed it. When i first installed it i thought it was really quiet now that i have a few thousand miles on it the exhaust seems to have a differnt tone to it.

The exhaust can be heard the most around 1500 - 2500 rpms. Anything after that and it gets quiet. I had my truck packed one weekend with 5 people and luggage and while the engine was under load it seemed to be alot louder inside the cab than it normally is but still wasnt annoying.

When i was looking for an exhaust i was simply looking for something that wasnt annoying and would let people know that i had a 5.0L under the hood and i am happy with my purchase of the Gibson.

I think i covered just about everything but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. As promised the links below have the sound files.

Click Here For a clip of the engine starting up and at idle. This was recorded a few feet away from the pipe.

Click here To hear me giving my 5.0L some fuel to drink.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great ;)

Sweet, now I know what the Gibson stainless steel exhaust will sound like on a 302, and it's pretty much what I'm looking for--not loud yet ballzy! I guess this summer I will have to get one, and it will probably be the first project when I buy a house hopefully this spring.

Originally posted by jjue
Sweet, now I know what the Gibson stainless steel exhaust will sound like on a 302, and it's pretty much what I'm looking for--not loud yet ballzy! I guess this summer I will have to get one, and it will probably be the first project when I buy a house hopefully this spring.
just make sure you want it that quiet lol;) 99explorer5.0 is right, you can only hear a gibson exhaust between about 1500-2500rpm even on the outside. I've heard both a Tundra and F-150 and they both went absolutley silent to like stock levels after about 2500rpm. Even when you do hear it, it's just way to quiet and not aggressive enough for me, otherwise it does sound pretty good for a very quiet exhaust if thats what your looking for as you can hear from that recording.

anyone know why Gibson's go to stock levels after like 2500rpm or so??? both the Tundra and F-150 had their dual exhaust setup, Gibson said you'll recieve a big-block sound:rolleyes: , you heard a very slight exhaust rumble at like right off idle and that was it. Just sounds funny b/c somebody might not want to race after they hear you when you take off for like a sec or two and then wonder why your vehicle just went silent:confused:

99Explorer,

thank you for taking the time to do that. I think it sounds great. It sure doesn't sound stock to me above 2500 RPM's!!

It sounds nice and throaty, which is exactly what I want on my 2001 V8. I don't want it too loud, just a nice rumble to let the V8 sound out.

If I want loud, I will fire up my 1984 Mercury Capri, 331 B50 block, Alum. heads, 2 chambers flowmasters, and the Ice crushing, straight cut geared Vortech blower.

Again, I think that sounds great, especial since the exploder is my daily driver. I did some research and it appears the 96-98 V8's up until June 98 were the 3 bolt, flat flange, and the Mid 98 to 01 were a combo slip flange and ball & knuckle joint..

thanks again.

Your welcome, I wasnt looking for anything extra loud either because this is my daily driver and a few of my friends have exhaust systems that make your ears ring after a few hours drive and with an SUV the exhaust usually echo's alot more than regular cars inside the cab. I just wanted a little rumble and thats exactly what i got.

I forgot to mention, has anyone seen the exhaust for the V8 Explorer from Jardine Industries?

Dead Link Removed

They have a cat back for the V8 Explorers which supposedly comes with a true 3" exhaust pipe. I saw the advertisement on truck performance website, for 98 Explorers..

they have two kits, one for the early 96- june 98 3 bolt flange, and the other is june 98-2001 slip flange.

http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...s&sf1=FORD&sf2=1998&sf3=EXPLORER&sf4=302/5.0L

if anyone has heard this exhaust, please let us know.

thanks

Well, thanks for that. As you can see from my sig, I pretty much have the same X as you and am currently looking for a cat-back exhaust myself. I have been considering a Flowmaster but, honestly, now that I have actually heard a Gibson exhaust on the same vehicle, I can make a better decision. I think I may go with the Gibson.

How much did it cost, btw? I know you did yourself but do you know approx. what the labor would be on that?

Thanks again.

I think i paid around $380 because it was stainless from my local auto parts store. I cant remember the exact price i paid. I know there were places online that sold it cheaper but the parts store had it in one of their warehouse's and i got it in a few days. Summit racing was back ordered and it would have taken at least a month for it to come in but i think they had the stainless for $330. The regular one that isnt stainless is a little cheaper.

Personally i wouldnt pay anyone to do it especially now that i know how much work is involved. It requires practacally no work at all. It just slid right in place and bolted up. It also used all of the factory hangers. If you have to cut your factory exhaust off then that might be a big pain in the arse.

There was only one problem with my kit but i was able to make it work anyway. I am going to have to take a pic of it for you guys to know exactly what i am talking about but one of the hangers that hold up the canister was welded wrong to the C clamp but i was able to still use it because i am like MacGyver (old 80's TV show). I'll post pics up soon.

Excellent post, 99explorer5.0. Sounds great.
I wonder how much throatier the sound is with FMS shorty headers? Hopefully I'll find out before too long. :p

Lou.

ATTN: 99explorer5.0

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think we have the exact same explorer:

1999 5.0L V8 AWD 4door correct?

if so, which Gibson stainless system did you get? the one with the weld on 3 bolt flange or the slip on flange? i want to order my system today but not sure which one to get.

get the weld on one.. welding will probably be better

sorry, let me clarify....it's not a matter of choice. only one will fit properly and the other won't.

I have two stock cats with two seperate pipes coming out of them going into two seperate inlets on my stock muffler. on one of the pipes i have some sort of clamp with 2 bolts on it. on the other pipe i have a hose clamp looking thing.

when i go to look at buying the gibson kit i need to know which one i need, the weld on kind or the slip on kind? and i'm not sure which one i have.

I got the slip on one. It looks exactly as you described. I had the same trouble when i was ordering mine. I didnt know what they were talking about so i had one of the parts guys come and look under my truck to see what i had.

Back