Finually installed my Gibson Cat Back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finually installed my Gibson Cat Back

99explorer5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0L
I was finually able to install my Gibson Cat Back which i purchased last month three days ago. I have the 5.0L and i was looking for something to give me a little rumble but not overly loud.

This Gibson is quiet ... very quiet. Under idle it sounds stock. The only time you can notice that you have an aftermarket exhaust on it is between 1500-2100 RPM's because it resonates. Any RPM's beyond that or under hard acceleration you cant hear a thing. What you can hear is my engine because of my KKM filter.

Plus they sent me the wrong braket to mount it. I already had my factory exhuast off so i hand to temporarily make it work until they send me the right bracket. I was also able to get my factory exhaust off in one piece by using a lift. Without a lift that is impossible to do.

Also everyone says that all these mods make a difference in gas millage. So far i have seen none. I disconnected my battery cable to reset my computer and have not noticed any difference at all. You guys might say yea you are flooring it to hear the exhaust note. But that is wrong since i can not hear my exhaust unless i keep my truck at low RPM's so i am not flooring it.

I guess i am happy becuase i have a stainless steel exhaust that will last for a very long time and it has a low but deep sound as i crawl away from stop lights. But if you guys want noise from your exhaust when you floor it this is deffinatly not the exhaust for you. Unless you get headers or something.

I am going to try to make sound files with my camcorder either later today or tomorrow so you guys can hear what a v8 sounds like with the Gibson exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be patient, though I have the 4.0 mine gets better sounding as time goes on. Like a fine wine..LOL

No increase in mileage here either. Better hill pulling and towing though so there may be a bit of a saving there as it doesn't have to shift as much...

Actually i did notice that my shift points changed a bit. Maybe it is in my head but i think it stays in the gear because it doesnt need to downshift on certain hills in my neighborhood anymore. And does seem to have more low end torque which is what the Gibson was designed for.

I just wish i could find the mod that would get me better gas millage. I already tried synthetic fluids, KKM, now this exahaust and nothing has changed.

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0

I was also able to get my factory exhaust off in one piece by using a lift. Without a lift that is impossible to do.

Ya i hacked mine off w/ a dremel...bout three pieces...

99Explorer5.0- Do you reccomend this exhaust for me? I am tired ....really tired of open headers...(go figure). I am getting exhaust soon and am unsure on what to get. Appreciate what you have to say...

Well i only put about 100 miles on my explorer since i put the exhaust on so it is too early for me to give any accurate opinions. But i can tell you that it is exactly what i was looking for. I wanted a stainless steel mandral bent cat back system that was cheaper than the Borla and that is exactly what i got.

When i had my mustang i tried aluminized and whatever the local muffler shop had and they both rusted out. The junk that my local muffler shop had would rot out every year and aluminzed lasted a little longer but still rusted out. I travel up north often to ski which is why i think my exhaust systems rusted out quickly because the roads were heavily salted.

I have a friend with a firehawk with headers and a "loud mouth" exhaust system. Now that exhaust lives up to its name. That thing is so loud it is unbearable. I wear ear plugs everytime i go for a ride with him even though i have a 1000 watt sound system in my explorer i still can not go for a ride in his car without getting a headache.

I just came back from a 1 hour drive and went over hills down hills on the highway all with different pressure on the gas pedal and i have decided this system was exactly what i was looking for. It is not loud enough to piss you off but you can tell that there is a v8 under the hood. Especially with the KKM my truck sounds pretty mean at certain RPM's under acceleration. It does resonate around 1500-2100 RPM's but that sound is expected with any performance aftermarket system. If you turn on the radio you can easily drown out the sound of the exhaust.

Like Fischer said this exhaust will probably sound better with time. When i got a V&H pipe for my motorcycle it sounded better the more i rode it.

I am studying for my last final exam before i get my Associates Degree ... WHOO HOOO .... so i might not get a chance to make a .wav sound of my exhaust today but i will tomorrow after i take my exam.

Alright man you gotta tell me. How much did all of this cost? Did you run it all the way out? Did you dual it all the way out or just dual in single out? I'm really pumped about getting rid of the "noise" that my car makes (the open headers) but anyways did you use any of the stock cats? Let me know man....thanks

any performance changes? I want a loud exhaust, but aluminized rusts.. stainless would definatley be the way to go

I didn't notice anything with my flow50 catback except the sound

I plan on getting a gibson or flowmaster exhaust/muffler but also a electric cutout...now THATS how you get a mean ass sound.

Well I just got my exhaust the other day. I got a 40 series flow and had them make me a custom y pipe to a single inlet dual outlet. I love the sound, yet i actually think that going from open headers to having exhaust i actually lost power. It doesn't matter to me, i love the sound and it's still mean...

Nice ... how is the 40 series? IS that really loud in the cab? Mine is pretty quiet but at certain RPM's its loud inside

Originally posted by explorer4x493
Well I just got my exhaust the other day. I got a 40 series flow and had them make me a custom y pipe to a single inlet dual outlet. I love the sound, yet i actually think that going from open headers to having exhaust i actually lost power. It doesn't matter to me, i love the sound and it's still mean...

holy ****, I'm definitely having my installation shop do that for me when I get it installed next weekend, awesome idea...thanks! How much did it cost you for installation + custom y pipe?

I love the sound that it makes. It's noticible still....but is awesome sounding. The shop charged me 75 total: that's $45 for the y pipe and i guess the rest for install. But you have to realize that i had my friends 40 series w/ about 3k miles on it only. So he gave it to me for a carton of cigarettes-$33.

99explorer5.0-It is not loud enough to piss you off but you can tell that there is a v8 under the hood.......exactly what i think about mine.

Back