Upgraded exhaust review - JBA/Magnaflow/Gibson | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded exhaust review - JBA/Magnaflow/Gibson

malohnes

Reaction score
City, State
SE Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl m5 4x4
For those of you who are looking into a new exhaust system for your Explorer, or need to replace some components, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like the JBA/Magnaflow/Gibson combo I have now. I replaced the stock manifolds, cat and a Walker muffler that were rusted and falling to pieces.

The headers are the simple non ceramic coated set. The headers themselves were a bit challenging to install as they are tight fit. Because I had to replace head gaskets I put them on the head, before I reinstalled it on the engine block and made that part a whole lot easier. Several of the bolt heads are very hard to get to, but patience is king. The 2 piece Y pipe was both easy and hard. Easy because there was more than enough room to align and adjust the fitment, but hard because that same ease of movement made for lots of floppiness getting things just right...another patience thing. I bought all new hardware because the headers did not come with any, other than the header bolts.

album.php

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=720&pictureid=6570

[IMG]http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=720&pictureid=6571

picture.php

The Magnaflow cat was a direct replacement piece and was a easy install as well. They did not include new nuts to replace the rusty froze on stock ones. The stainless looks good and should last.

picture.php

picture.php

Finally, the Gibson cat back exhaust is quite nice. It too was the aluminized version, not stainless as with the Magnaflow. Not knowing how much of the sound comes from the individual components it is hard to quantify the sound of this muffler on it own. As a set, I really like it. To those who know little about performance auto's, it raises no flags. For those who know it is readily apparent it is not stock, but not a hot rod either. It has a mellow, throaty sound and isn't boomy at any RPM, though it is much louder at resonance than I would have hoped for, it wasn't excessive either. It was also much quieter than my blown Walker muffler it replaced. We can carry on a conversation easily when cruising the road and the kids are fussing like before when the droning was killing us.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As for the rest of the kit, all the hardware was included in the Gibson set so I used them, a big plus since I could not and would not reuse the old rusty nuts and bolts. The exit is after the rear wheel and the tip is a nice chromed stainless piece. Nice without being flashy. My wife likes the mellow sound, though she did ask why it sounded "tinny." I told her it was because it was a tubular design without the cast manifolds and the free flowing cats and mufflers. She said, "Oh." If Momma approves I'm doubly happy!

The most difficult part of the whole project was honestly, getting the old stuff off. The cast manifolds came off quickly with no fuss after a shot of PB Blaster the night before. I cut the Y pipe and cat off since the bolts were way too rusted and tough to get at. Lining all the pieces up to tighten things was a chore, but I simply started from the headers and worked my way down keeping things loose enough to move the sections around with some effort, but snug enough that they didn't flop. I did all the work without the truck up on stands, or jacked up, though it would have made some parts easier, I actually would recommend doing the way I did instead since I did not have to block stuff up so high. I'll post some pics soon, I need to become a full member anyway to pay back to the community for all the work contributed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As for performance, I can't say how much power I had before and since I did a bunch of other things while I replaced the exhaust, like new water pump and radiator. My truck was running pretty good prior to this, with the exception of blown head gasket and major carbon build up in the heads and piston top. I can say that my seat of the pants feeling is that the engine is very noticeably stronger, but not night and day better. I pulls a lot harder and seems smoother. While on cruise control in 5th, it pulls without struggling on all but the largest hills, something I could not do before.

Anyway, I got all three kits on Amazon, with free shipping and didn't spend as much as I was preparing to spend. This was a good purchase and one I'd do again, especially if I could score the deals I did on shipping in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Wood, it was easier that I thought, but still a pain enough to remind me wrenching on trucks can really tick you off!

Yeah I will post images, but I did not take many pictures of the exhaust install itself as I did things in stages and when I got frustrated with one part, I jumped onto another project to cool off and stay productive. I'll post all that I have soon, though my soon and your soon may not be the same! Maybe by the weeks end! Still have an alternator I'm waiting on...

Ha ha ha, you obviously haven't read too many of my threads. soon to me is a few weeks at best. Took me 4 years to install the winch and bumper...

I just wanna see pics of the SC you have listed in your signature .i don't see any tuning listed and see a 5.0maf also....:rolleyes:

Wood, got some pictures taken today!

JD, I put a period after the stuff I have on and the rest is the items I am looking to put on in the future.

The SC install is still in the planning stages (most of my work is in figuring how and where to route the plumbing) and I have a lot to work to do to make it to the point where I can buy and actually install one in my rig. The 5.0maf will go with the SC, kinda a given for FI. I need to wait until I am willing to entertain a full rebuild and that will require a long and hard search for a HD 5 speed tranny! Shoot, I'm still trying to get my TB and MAF modifying projects fully done! Too many fun projects and no time...got a family to feed, play with and other hobbies to share my time and energy with.

Wood, got some pictures taken today!

JD, I put a period after the stuff I have on and the rest is the items I am looking to put on in the future.

The SC install is still in the planning stages (most of my work is in figuring how and where to route the plumbing) and I have a lot to work to do to make it to the point where I can buy and actually install one in my rig. The 5.0maf will go with the SC, kinda a given for FI. I need to wait until I am willing to entertain a full rebuild and that will require a long and hard search for a HD 5 speed tranny! Shoot, I'm still trying to get my TB and MAF modifying projects fully done! Too many fun projects and no time...got a family to feed, play with and other hobbies to share my time and energy with.

Ok in that case..jba headers are way over priced and will hurt performance on a stockish motor and the 5.0 maf is garbage .it hurts performance no matter what is done to the motor,especially if a sc is added.the rest of the exhaust may add some tho,it is the start of any build;)

Made a video that I'll post with photo's. Won't be a great video, as I don't have a proper video camera, only a still camera but it will give one an idea of the sound. Perhaps this weekend, if I get a 3 day weekend as promised.

Photo's posted now, in the first post of the thread but the video didn't take, gotta try something else so you can get some idea of the sound.

Enjoy!

Thanks Wood1!

Yeah Briwayjones, I hear ya on the Fram - it is gone now. I needed something to plug the hole while some Wix filters were on the way.

malohnes Question for ya. Did you find the O2 sensors easier to install with the new set up or about the same as before?

For some reason mine are pain to get to well the one is. can not get a wrench on it to were I can get a swing on it and a socket is a real pain but about the only way I can get to it with a very long extension back to the tranny and past the tranny cross brace.

By the way I like how nice and clean that install looks good job there!

Huntsman,

Thanks for the compliment, I have a long way to go to but steady progress is fine by me!

The O2 sensor...Its a pain, much worse than before. However, if you don't over-tighten and use anti-seize, it isn't too bad since you don't have to reef on it with no leverage. The worst is getting a wrench to line up and meshing it to the O2 to turn it, oh, 20 degrees. Luckily, one doesn't change O2 sensors too often.

The driver side one is a lot easier and I am not sure if the connector reaches there or not. I concluded that since this truck is a OBD 1 truck the the passenger side would be receiving the aggregate signal of both banks versus the drivers side only signal. The better versed guys on the forum could confirm that one better than I.

I'm not the most patient and I absolutely hate smashing my knuckles...one reason I am not a great mechanic...but again, it isn't the worst job.

Back