My brakes damn too hard pls help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My brakes damn too hard pls help!!!

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
I have just changed front passenger side caliper, changed the pads and resurfaced the discs on both sides. But when I hit the brake pedal only a little I almost slam my head on the steering....even at 3 mph ..i know its a big problem
Can it be ..
1-Too much brake fluid?
2-Rear brakes adjusted too tightly?
3-Brake booster defective?
4-Satan dont want me on the highway...to hell??

Maybe parling brake cable out of adjustement...but its damaged and have some rust on the adjustment parts so can i just cut off the cable and still have brakes in the rear ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Safety issue... bump and run! Does this qualify for a 911 posting?? Can't roll w/o brakes.

I have brakes donner i slam my face on the steering because my brakes are too much working thats why i ask if its the fault of the jammed parking brake cable and if i can cut it..if not whats the problem

If you look at the cable running down the frame near the front there is a thing there that connects the two cables together (Main cable and one from the cab). I would try there before cutting the cable.

However im not sure that it is related. I would wait till someone better qualified post

Ok I will try tp unjam it and slack rear pads a little bit to see if its still block ..then i will cut the cable

Ok The cable move freely but wont engage. Maybe i need to slack the rear pads a little bit so thw parking brake cable could be engaged. I will try this tomorrow..unless this time continue to give me your advices. Thanx

Do you know if it's the front brakes or rear brakes that are doing this?

From what I understand, the rear brake shoe adjustment controls pedal height, which seems like the problem in your case. HOWEVER, did this just mysteriously start? As the rear shoes won't "over adjust" to a too tight state on their own. Maybe your adjuster screws need replacing. Pop off the rear drums and take a look around in side to see if things are moving correctly.

Front brakes as just been resurfaced so i dont think so. Sure the rear but i never seen over-braking car thats why im confused in this case ...thank you

How about this...

Found this:

# Brakes Grab:
When you lightly step on the brakes, it feels like you pressed it very hard. Sometimes the car will pull to the left or right when this happens, or one or more wheels will lock up. It usually happens suddenly but may get worse over time.
Possible causes:
# Parking brake not releasing: See [below].
# Brake pads and/or brake shoes are worn out: Replace the brake pads/shoes as required.
# Bad front disc caliper or rear drum brake wheel cylinder: Replace or rebuild both front calipers. Replace or rebuild both rear wheel cylinders.

# Parking Brake Won't Release:

You see smoke or smell burning brakes, or the rear wheels are abnormally hot, after driving. It feels like the car is dragging when going forward and rolls easily in reverse. The parking brake moves very easily up and down.
Possible causes:
# Parking brake cables are frozen: Replace parking brake cables.
# Parking brake linkage needs lubrication: Lubricate parking brake linkage.
# Broken parking brake mechanism inside your rear brakes. Repair or replace broken parts as required.

Ok thanx I think its definitivly the parking brake. I loosed the rear pads when the rear of truck was jacked the drum turned easily. I stepped on the p-b pedal it traveled to the floor and came back without the need to pull the release handle and i realized that the rear drum had too much friction on the drum brake shoes. Gonna try with both wheels at same time but im sure i will have to cut the parking brake cable.....anyway itsa an automatic if i never park in hills or if i will need it i will engage the 4X4 and put it in park.
The guy at the dealer told me i could cut the cable without problems but it wont work anymore...lol ...like if i would call him if the parking brake was just working.

Thanks donner...and if i could help you with your french just ask :p

Merci!

Anytime! Glad your brakes are working right... :thumbsup:

Ok results now !!!
I cutted the cable with my grinder. Brakes pedal travel easyier but too soft i will need a lot of back and brakes ...if it dont work i will readjust manually the brakes and put grease behind the friction plate and brake assembly. I used a spray can with dry graphite luricant i hope it will work

Fyi

Since you have a first gen and therefore drum brakes in the back -- the brake "grab" is one of the downside of drum brakes after running on wet surface (rain/snow). My van does this and the rear axle can be locked up very easily after driving it in the rain one day and parking it overnight. It usually goes away after driving driving around town.

An alternative would be to swap in an 8.8 from a second gen with disc brakes.

the truck was parked there since november so it made this but i also cutted the cable and it will be fine now
do you have a link to show how to do the swap ?

The axle swap is practically a bolt on (assuming that the gear ratio of the new axle matches the old axle).

practically for you but i never did it so i will need a step by step how-to :)

Back