My Build Thread - $39 Body Lift, Custom Bumper, Repair... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Build Thread - $39 Body Lift, Custom Bumper, Repair...

Re: mennonites dont they wear those big white baby bonnets and stretchy jeans for the dudes? Stayed at a hotel with a busload of them once. WoW they party like its 1899... They were actually really really quiet and kind. Felt odd knocking on their hotel room doors after 10pm and askin em why they went to bed so early and if they wanted to hang out drinking beer.

LOL... yeah you got it...

Thanks everyone for all the input, I am going to hopefully start the rear bumper transformation tomorrow. Just finished painting my wifes car (well one quarter panel) now it's back to some real work. I think I will bed liner the side steps and evaluate the trim later once the rear bumper and steps are painted. I really need to get my frame washed and painted again as well...

I will post pictures as the progress continues. The sun is actually supposed to show it's face tomorrow. Maybe I can get some better shots of the front end...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK we were having some great weather the other day so I decided to tackle my rear bumper. The plan was to remove the class 3 hitch and sand it down to repair some rust spots. I also needed to raise the Bumper to match my Lift. Oh and one big thing that I totally forgot about was to raise the spare tire crank so I could get the handle back into it to be able to lower it. Otherwise I would not be able to get my spare tire down.

So I started by basically removing everything on the back end, Bumper, Trim, and Class 3 hitch.

Here is what I was left with and you will notice right off that there is plenty of rust starting to form on the frame. This is courtesy of my hard winters and plenty of salt on the roads.
2010-06-08 08.07.11.jpg

Notice the rust on the hitch I was starting to get peeling and some major pitting so it was time to get this cleaned off and coated with a good rust preventative primer and paint.
2010-06-08 08.07.40.jpg

This is the Spare tire crank removed it is also quite rusted up.
2010-06-08 08.08.14.jpg

I went back and forth on whether to try one of these "rust converter" type products since they are very controversial. But I decided to give this product a try. The important thing (RTFM :D ) Is that you only apply it to the rusted areas. I hope this works out, I am only testing it on this area.
2010-06-08 08.11.03.jpg

Here is the rear cross member/frame after cleaning it with a wire brush and some paint thinner to remover grease. I then applied the rust converter to the rusty spots. Here is what I ended up with.
2010-06-08 08.16.16.jpg

After waiting the recommended time for the rust converter to work I then applied some Rustoleum not the spray can crap. I got a gallon of Rustoleum Protective Enamel in Black. I've used this stuff on a rusted camper frame about 4 years ago and it has done a remarkable job of protecting the frame and not chipping. This is what I am going to use on the entire truck frame in the next part of the this build/restoration. This Was applied with a brush and this product is very thick and takes a long time to dry. The slower dry time proved a much more durable durable finish once dry. This is much better than any of the spray on quick dry products. The finish ends up looking like a powder coat since it is so thick. I highly recommend the product... Anyway here is the frame
2010-06-08 10.30.41.jpg

After that was painted I moved onto the class 3 hitch. here it is completely striped, brushed, and wiped with thinner. This is ready for the primer coat. I decided to use a two part coat on this one. As part of my frame restoration I also picked up a gallon of rustoleum rusty metal primer. This and the black rustoleum should provide protection that is on par with Trojan!!! No this is not going to turn into a "I got rustoleum on my hootus" thread!! I digress here's the picture....
2010-06-08 10.29.29.jpg

And here is the Hitch with both the base layer and the top coat applied drying in the sun on an awesome day with low humidity, no wind and awesome temps in the 70's I was in my glory!!!
2010-06-08 14.46.09.jpg

OK so I moved onto the spare tire carrier winch. as documented by others around here I just used a pair of shims 1.5" long to match the lift. Here is a picture of the two shims plus the old bolts and the new longer bolts.
2010-06-08 09.43.06.jpg

Here is the tire carrier installed and painted with the new bolts and shims.
2010-06-08 10.29.55.jpg

OK so all that stuff is drying so it's time to move onto the bumper mounts and figure out what I needed to do to raise it 1.5" to match the lift. Fortunately I hit the jackpot as you see from this picture the bolt holes are exactly 1.5" center to center. So all I needed to do was move the bumper up one bolt position and add another bolt hole to the top. This is perfect
2010-06-08 11.26.13.jpg

here are the brackets after I added a piece of 3/16" to extend the top of the bracket and add another bolt hole. Sure I could have used one bolt but I like to do things at least somewhat correctly, and I enjoy welding so here is what I ended up with.
2010-06-08 14.46.27.jpg

2010-06-08 14.46.35.jpg

I then painted the brackets with the same black paint and now moved onto painting the bumper. I started to run out of time so I quickly washed, brushed, and cleaned the top deck with thinner. Then I sprayed it down with a thin layer of adhesion promoter. This is a critical step when painting on any plastic unless your using one of the newer specialty plastic paints. In this case I could not fine the flat black I was looking for so I used the adhesion promoter and bumper paint in a flat black. here are the results (yup its black :D)
2010-06-08 15.22.53.jpg

I then decided to coat the bumper with a layer of the same brush on rustoleum so it had a durable base layer. It was late in the day and I needed to use my truck that night so I put a coat on and ran in to get a shower. When using this rustoleum you need to have plenty of dry time with NO RAIN in the forecast for at least a day after the application. Well it turns out that the weather man changed his plan and we ended up with 4" of rain the next day. This completely messed up the entire bumper and I am now applying stripper to pull the messed up layer of paint. It's frustrating but I am picky and I cannot leave the bubbles knowing that I will always see them when I walk around the truck.

Anyway the stripper is done cooking so I need to go scrape my bumper

Hmmm.. That doesn't sound good :dunno:

OK so things got a little busy lately. I took on a few projects around the house and one big project for Haiti relief so needed to get my truck finished and did not have time to document this as well as I would have liked. So instead of adding more photos about what I did all I have is a list of items that I took care of on my truck.

1) pressure washed the entire frame
2) dropped the fuel tank and painted the frame rails around it.
3) Primed and painted the entire frame.
4) finished all the repairs and paint on the rear bumper
5) Painted the side steps with bed liner

Here is the somewhat finished (for now) project.

finalbumpersfront.jpg

finalbumpersside.jpg

Here is what I have planned for the future
1) Sand down, prime, and bed liner my roof (for protection from canoes)
2) remove the front bumper and smooth out some of the lines a bit
3) add some additional coats of bed liner to the front bumper
4) Fix a bunch of misc rust spots/stone chips on the body
5) Finish the front 2" receiver with custom automatic spring clip retainer pin

I hope to keep this thread going with the progress..

Cheers.

Nice work-I like it. Bumper/Guard looks really good.

Looking great, wish I had the welding skills to do up a front bumper like that.

Thanks Guys.. I appreciate the comments.

The kicker was when my wife actually stated that she liked it. She is about as mechanical as britney spears so when she notices something like that it's a big deal LOL..

Here is what I have planned for the future
1) Sand down, prime, and bed liner my roof (for protection from canoes)
2) remove the front bumper and smooth out some of the lines a bit
3) add some additional coats of bed liner to the front bumper
4) Fix a bunch of misc rust spots/stone chips on the body
5) Finish the front 2" receiver with custom automatic spring clip retainer pin

I hope to keep this thread going with the progress..

Cheers.

I was wondering how you were going to get a pin in there. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I was wondering how you were going to get a pin in there. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

The details are still whirling around in my head. But what I am currently thinking is a cable with a small t-handle that will pull on two spring loaded fulcrums inside the bumper which will engage two steel retaining pins (one on each side of the receiver). I am also working out the engineering bits to make sure it is strong enough to take it if I decide to make a slide in winch at some point in time. Of course I will then need to reinforce the front frame mounts some more for strength.

Maybe I missed it, but why did you buy 6 lift blocks, when there are only 5 lift points per side?

Maybe I missed it, but why did you buy 6 lift blocks, when there are only 5 lift points per side?

im guessing its a spare

i have a 92 ex and i was planning a 3in body lift would i have to do anything besides installation and dealing with the bumpers ?

i have a 92 ex and i was planning a 3in body lift would i have to do anything besides installation and dealing with the bumpers ?

from what ive read need a steering shaft extension, fan shroud has to be refitted and there are some hoses to tie out of the way. theres an excellent write up posted as a sticky at the top of the previous page good luck

Back