My custom air-intake setup for 2nd Gen 5.0 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My custom air-intake setup for 2nd Gen 5.0 V8

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
Custom air-intake setup for 2nd Gen 5.0 V8

I switched over from the SOHC V6 world to the 5.0 V8 back in November. One of my concerns was the interchangeability of my mods, most notably my Volant intake setup. I especially liked that mod and it pained me that the setup wasn't compatible with the V8 and Volant didn't make a kit available. Between getting a brand new kit from MAC or ASMI, I decided to try and make the Volant kit work. Here are the components:

-Volant filter box from SOHC 4.0 V6 kit, debadged (replaced with classic "5.0" badge).

-C&L 73mm MAF body, painted medium grey, stock OEM Ford electronics.

-Hightempsilicone couplers, stainless t-bolt clamps.

-intake tube from ASMI intake kit, painted medium grey.

-Dead Link Removed, model EaAU3560.

Here are the pics:

intake3.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow that looks awsome!!

99stocksport said:
wow that looks awsome!!

Thanks, I'm pleased with the finished product. :)

How large is the "hole" in the inner fender that the air is drawn from?

Post a pic if you can.

Thanks ....

aldive said:
How large is the "hole" in the inner fender that the air is drawn from?

Post a pic if you can.

Thanks ....

Al, the hole in my fender is the same size you should have in your V6. I didn't notice any difference in size between the Sport and the Eddie. The SOHC and V8 renditions of our Explorers seem to share the same sheet metal in that next of the engine bay. I'd rather not have to remove the Volant box to find out because I have the whole setup nice and dialed in and tweaked to perfection. I'll see if I can get a pic without removing the box, but I don't think it's possible.

You are wondering about the fender itself and not the hole in the Volant box, correct?

celly said:
Al, the hole in my fender is the same size you should have in your V6. I didn't notice any difference in size between the Sport and the Eddie. The SOHC and V8 renditions of our Explorers seem to share the same sheet metal in that next of the engine bay.

When I enlarged the opening on the inner fender of my '99 ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1443844#post1443844 ), I noticed how small the factory air inlet was. I was just wondered if you enlarged this tiny opening? That is the only air intake with your setup is it not?

You are wondering about the fender itself and not the hole in the Volant box, correct?

Both.

aldive said:
When I enlarged the opening on the inner fender of my '99 ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1443844#post1443844 ), I noticed how small the factory air inlet was. I was just wondered if you enlarged this tiny opening? That is the only air intake with your setup is it not?

Al, presumably I have the same size fender wall hole that you had in yours (before your mod). The Volant box actually has a sizeable hole which lines up with the fender wall hole, so any air drawn in does reach the filter. People often think the Volant box is sealed up which it is not. It's open at the front and the fender wall (partially) and obviously has an opening for the MAF as well.

You did a nice job. Looks very clean.

smiley1 said:
You did a nice job. Looks very clean.

Thanks dude. Now that Amsoil has a filter out, you can ditch the paper filter you use and still not have to oil. These things are reasonably priced as well.

Cheers....

celly said:
Thanks dude. Now that Amsoil has a filter out, you can ditch the paper filter you use and still not have to oil. These things are reasonably priced as well.

Cheers....

Interesting. Ill have to look on BITOG to see how the silicon looks in UOA's.

Cell, did you cut out the round indentation in the inside fender well with a rotarly tool? I thought about doing it to mine, but then again how is the air supposed to get up to it if the fender is sealed at the bottom like I think it is.

I am also going to cut a nice square hole out of the radiator support just to the right next to the headlight for more cool air. Inspecting the Explorer frame it does not appear that fresh air has a direct path to the filter.

The best system I ever owned was for my Mustang 5.0, it was a Ram Air System by March. Had a nice big scoop that mounted under the fender, a huge air box and big 4" hose.

I didn't know that much about it back then and never reset the computer or had the a/f ratio checked but the air scoop did not seem to make that much difference. The comfort of knowing the engine was getting cool air instead of warm engine air made me content.

What Mod did Aldive do? Where can I purchase this Amsoil Filter for my Volant kit?

Lazzman said:
Cell, did you cut out the round indentation in the inside fender well with a rotarly tool? I thought about doing it to mine, but then again how is the air supposed to get up to it if the fender is sealed at the bottom like I think it is.

I am also going to cut a nice square hole out of the radiator support just to the right next to the headlight for more cool air. Inspecting the Explorer frame it does not appear that fresh air has a direct path to the filter.

What Mod did Aldive do? Where can I purchase this Amsoil Filter for my Volant kit?

Lazz, I haven't done any cutting of the fender wall. The box is just sitting in the void space taken up by the stock airbox. Al did cut his fender wall and has a thread on it somewhere. I'm not doing any cutting.

re: Amsoil, I scored using my Amsoil preferred account. I'll touch base with you offline on that.

Cool.

Why don't you want to cut out the fender wall? Better cold air flow.

Lazzman said:

The inner fender is not sealed, air can get in there easily. I think opening up the area you mention above is a prudent move.

Before you get to carried away with cold air, take a look at the following thread - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143720&highlight=iat+speed

Where can I purchase this Amsoil Filter for my Volant kit?

I can get you the filter at cost.

Lazzman said:
Cool.

Why don't you want to cut out the fender wall? Better cold air flow.

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Haven't really thought of it. Doug (bama) told me eons ago that when my Ex is in motion, it gets plenty of air to the filter. The box is MUCH less restrictive than an OEM airbox so it can't be that bad.

Back