My Explorer Delema

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Ok guys, I need your opinion. I'm 18 and have a 91 Explorer with 230,000 miles on it. This car was handed down to me as my first car. The Explorer has been excellent but now uses a lot of coolant, like a gallon every couple weeks. I think it's probably the head gasket because my mechanic hasn't found any leaks. I put some stop leak in it and we'll see if that helps. So right now I'm looking at a couple of options.

1. Trade in the Explorer for a car that gets better gas mileage and is probably newer then an SUV that I could get with the same money. The only problem is that in the Explorers present state I couldn't get very much for it (engine problem, needs body work, and has bad title history) and I don't really want a car.

2. Buy another Explorer (91-94) thats in better shape than mine and keep mine around for parts or sell mine and put the money towards the new one.

3. Realize that sometime I'm going to have to rebuild my engine or get a new/reman one. Put some money into a body work and/or a little lift, and try to make the Explorer that's been the best first car into a decent second car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Byrd,
You may not like to hear this, but my honest advice is to get rid of it, buy a cheap car that gets great mileage and pocket as much as you can - put it away where you can't see it. There is a write up here supporting this view. Here is my personal reasoning...

I'm 33, married, 2 kids and typical expenses that go along with this. I make a very good living. I save as much as I can - I still can't figure out a way to get my rig the way I want it (of course, I have a list about 18k long of changes I want to make). If you save your money now, you will be able to enjoy "life's little pleasures" when you are older and have a family. Otherwise, you will find yourself working just to make ends meet and you won't have any time/money left to have fun with the ones you love. Nothing will destory relationships - beit friendships or marriages - faster than the inability to spend quality time with those that you love. My .02

Jon

Well, it seems you didn't get a response to your original question, what to do with your car in it's current state. With a car with that many miles you never know what is going to go wrong with it next. One of my co-workers was always bragging about how many miles his mid 80's Dodge Dakota had and how it still ran strong. I was amazed at the car's durability, but needless to say his praise soon turned into ranting, he has since had to chanve starters, alternators, transfer case, his transmission, is now slipping, and one of his suspension arms corroded so bad at the shock mount that it snapped off. Although I hope nothing more happens to his car for his financial state's sake, I'm sure the list is not done yet. It's something inevitable for cars with so many miles to start giving you growing pains. I'd get rid of the car before you start investing too much money into it.

Just my opinion, I've been in the same situation.

Ricardo

I agree with Jon, sorry bud.

If I had owned my Explorer when I was 18, I wouldn't have kept a girlfriend, or for that matter, gone to University because I would have wanted to spend every cent/minute working on it. And if I had done that, my then girlfriend would not be my wife and mother of my 2 kids, and I would not have a good job, a house, and an Explorer.

Buy some older little car that will get you from point A to point B, the amount you save on gas will pay for the car in no time, save some money, get an education, get a job, buy an Explorer and modify the hell out of it!

You could keep your Explorer, and store it, and buy a fuel efficient car for an everyday driver. That way, when you are older, and have a little $$ laying around, you can fix up the ol' Explorer. I am beggining to think the 91-94's in particular will become collector's items sort of like the 66-76 Bronco's have become.

I didn't buy my Explorer until I was out of college, and got established. I am now 28 years old, and I have the time and $$$ to trick out my Explorer, and just do basic routine maintenance to my car. My car is a 1988 Buick Regal and it is great for getting around town, and on road trips it gets 30 mpg with a 2.8L V6.

Alright,
I got my Explorer when I was 18 and I have recently paid it off and been able to put a little bit of money into it. (just turned 21) If you really like your Explorer, you need to sit down and make a list of expenses that you know you will have soon. And then weigh that out against the cost of buying one in better shape and selling yours.

I would probably fix up as much small inexpensive stuff as you can, sell it and get a loan on a better condition X and have the money from selling yours to put into it.

C'mon you guys, do you realy expect him to get rid of his Explorer by choice? -I don't think so

Hmmm...For what it's worth, I agree with the other OLDER members..hehe..get rid of it..I love my Ex, only because I can and do spend time and money on it..It's a toy for me and many others on the site..I work on it by CHOICE...If I had to do the work to keep it running, it would be gone tomorrow..Just being honest..

I think it just depends on your finances right now...I mean its not really about your future or whether or not your going to enjoy it more later in life, cause I think thats bull, atleast in my case..My truck nickle and dimes me to death, but I love working on it so its ok..I actually enjoy that...If you can afford it go for it. Just my .02

Don't listen to any of them dude.

I was 16 when I bought my Explorer. I pay everything on it from the payment to gas and I get by just fine.

Personally I'd buy another Explorer. Find something that you can afford and buy it. Ignore the"wait until you are older" stuff. Get a job, and life will be good.

What ever floats your boat

Quick,

I am just speaking from experience...I know a few guys that had real cool cars and trucks and they poured all their cash into them. They were real cool when they were 16-20. Now, they are 28 years old, their rides are all rusted out or scrapped, and they have no education or good job, because they wanted to work and make money to fix up their cars instead of driving some piece of crap and furthering their education. That was me then, driving the POS. Now the roles are reversed and I am smiling...

If you have a good job, can afford to fix one up, still afford to live life a little, then great! It just sounds like money may be an issue for Byrd91. I think this is why Jon and I said what we did, not to offend any youngsters with nice cars.

Peace.

man don;'t listen to them i bought my explorer when i was 16-17 and i have put on a 6 inch skyjacker lift 33's and a whole lot of custom stuff maybe 3000-4000 in just upgrades and i still have money my truck does make me broke at times but it's fun to work on and it keeps me out of trouble well not off-road trouble but i say keep or get one in better conditon

btw i am 18

Like it was stated earlier, whatever floats your boat. It's your money and don't let anybody dictate you on how and where to spend your hard earned cash. But be wise on your spending though.

I was 17 when I had my first car. A less than 1 ci 80's model Toyota Corolla. My peers were driving in their fixed-up Honda Civics, Accords, Mustangs, Camaros and other nice cars. Some of them accrued debts bigger than their income. As a result they had to work a lot of OTs and often late shifts. They are already exhausted by the time they get to school in the morning or sometimes they even skip school just to be able to work. I was doing the opposite. I didn't mind driving a beat up car and vowed to myself that as soon as I graduate from college, I'll get myself a new car. Now my smile can even reach my earlobes.

I'm not your dad nor your guidance counselor, so I'm not trying to give you a lecture here. This is just one of my life's experiences.

Back