My first post | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My first post

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey guys, im matt, this is my first post. And i have a question about my project im starting.

Ive got a 92 explorer 4dr, with a 4.0, A4LD and have been doing a bunch of research about do a SAS in the front with leaf spring suspension so that its nice and simple/ rugged. And doing a SOA in the rear. Maybe put some 33" BFG mud terrains on it. Well my question is with the SAS. Im wanting to use jeep wrangler front springs, some HD hangers i found on ebay for around $40-$50 a pair and alot of ingenuity (because its free, lol) and do a over spring steering system, trac bar, etc.

So what would be the best Dana 44 for the front axle?
And what do you think about this idea in general?
Thanks guys, appreciate all the insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for your reply. And i have read alot, i didnt just join and post immediatly, ive been searching through old threads. But most of the solid axle swaps ive ran across are coil spring swaps. Ive only seen about one or two leaf spring swaps. But i have a few little niche questions that im having trouble finding a definitive answer to. Like, what are the best Dana 44's taylored to a 91-94 explorer swap? Im interested in what year vehicles to search under for the axle im needing, that way when i head to the junk yard or where ever, i can just look for these vehicles instead of picking through hundreds of cars.

If you aren't wanting to go full width you are best off trying to find a D44 from a Jeep Wagoneer built during the 80's. Earlier FSJ's were pass drop but the late model had a driver drop. Biggest problem with them is that the majority of them had center axle disconnect (CAD) and 6 lug.

Thanks man. But if i do find a full width axle, how much wider will the front axle be than the stock 8.8 rear? Bout 6inches?

And if so, anybody got any pics of a full width front with a stock 8.8 rear? I dont want it to look like something off mad max. But if its not noticable at a glance, i dont really care to much.

alright. Thanks for your replys. Ive decided to do something else entirely. So thanks.

Back