My interior lights stay on even after the engine is turned off. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My interior lights stay on even after the engine is turned off.

I have a 2002 explorer ltd. Out of the blue, the interior lights stay on after the engine is shut off. The never go out (mirror lights also) I have lubed every door hinge...nothing, I make sure all doors are closed...nothing, those damn lights won't go out. One other thing..the drivers side door trim door lock switch doesn't work, after I shut the engine off, unless I turn off the interior lights but rolling down the swithh until it clicks off.
If anyone has any insight i would appreciate it. I am so frustrated with this. IF I have to I will bring it to the dealer.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bjr831, I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, etc.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found a broken wire and repaired it and all is back to normal!

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks

Thanks for the direction BigRondo. Im going to be tackling the take-a-part in a day or two its just got me frustrated about the right mirror light only being off when the dimmer switch is on full. I guess when it comes to bad wires anything is possible though.
Thanks again and thanks to borland and synyster as well.

Thanks for the direction BigRondo. Im going to be tackling the take-a-part in a day or two its just got me frustrated about the right mirror light only being off when the dimmer switch is on full. I guess when it comes to bad wires anything is possible though.
Thanks again and thanks to borland and synyster as well.

Removing puddle lights:

You do not need to remove the mirror to do this. This picture is from the Signal Mirror How To. That's why the mirror has been removed.

Keep the mirror on the Ex and insert the blade as shown, then push up and away from door and the lens will pop out. Then twist the socket out of the lens to remove the bulb.

Be very careful with the razor blade so you don't cut yourself! If you are having trouble with the razor blade then using a very thin, small screwdriver might be the way to go! Mine popped out very easily with the razor blade. That's why I suggest using it. Better to be safe than sorry.

3dRemovePuddleLightLense.jpg

Good luck with the fix and be sure to keep us posted. :biggthump

Since this about interior lights im going to hop in here and post my problem.
Ive noticed in my other fords when entering the car the interior lights would stay on for 30-60 seconds or until you turned the key to start the car. Once its running they dont stay on after you shut the door. Or when the car is shut down they turn off once you lock the doors with the button.
My 97 Merc has an aftermarket remote start. I get in and turn the key forward and the lights stay on for about 15-30 seconds or whatever that time period is before they self timeout as if the car is off. When running sometimes they turn off immediately sometimes they wait. Doesnt matter which door.

I did my wifes explorer today.it had the same issues.i found a black wire that looked like someone cut it in half inside the black rubber housing containing the door wiring system between the driver door and body of the vehicle.theres two black thick wires.pull the speaker out and search the wires right at the spot where they enter the door.you might have to pull on the black wire to find it.i just crimped another piece of wire onto both ends.thankyou to those who posted this helpful info.my wifes car is now working right again.

Hello all,

First timer. What a great resource we have here :)

I just got my 2002 Eddie Bauer last week (actually it was the second one in a week because the first one got returned due to the owner not being able to convey clear title, but that is another story for another forum), but between the two EB's I have already covered both the stuck switch and broken wire problem. I just got done with the broken wire issue. Mine was actually the smaller of the two Black wires in the driver's door.

I repaired it by soldering in a 6" long 16 gauge marine grade wire extension (I like to use marine grade wire because 1 - it is tinned 2 - there are more strands in the cross section of the wire gauge 3- the insulation is softer allowing for more flexibility and in my opinion, repeated motion resistance), then I used some marine grade liquid electrical tape on the solder joint and covered that with a piece of heat shrink tubing.

I was always told if you are going to get into something to repair it, repair it better than "Ok" so if you have another like issue, you already have something to rule out.

Worked like a charm and hopefully this fix is permanent enough that I will never have to go back into the door.

Total time from first door screw removal to completion = 1 1/2 hours
Total cost of parts = Less than $1
Not having to keep rolling the dimmer down to lock the truck and walk away = Priceless

Thanks Again and thanks for having me,
BustedRichie

Hello all,

First timer. What a great resource we have here :)

I just got my 2002 Eddie Bauer last week (actually it was the second one in a week because the first one got returned due to the owner not being able to convey clear title, but that is another story for another forum), but between the two EB's I have already covered both the stuck switch and broken wire problem. I just got done with the broken wire issue. Mine was actually the smaller of the two Black wires in the driver's door.

I repaired it by soldering in a 6" long 16 gauge marine grade wire extension (I like to use marine grade wire because 1 - it is tinned 2 - there are more strands in the cross section of the wire gauge 3- the insulation is softer allowing for more flexibility and in my opinion, repeated motion resistance), then I used some marine grade liquid electrical tape on the solder joint and covered that with a piece of heat shrink tubing.

I was always told if you are going to get into something to repair it, repair it better than "Ok" so if you have another like issue, you already have something to rule out.

Worked like a charm and hopefully this fix is permanent enough that I will never have to go back into the door.

Total time from first door screw removal to completion = 1 1/2 hours
Total cost of parts = Less than $1
Not having to keep rolling the dimmer down to lock the truck and walk away = Priceless

Thanks Again and thanks for having me,
BustedRichie

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Thanks for sharing your method with us!

Interior Lighting and door locks

I just purchased a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer and had problems with interior lights staying on for 10 mins after shutting off engine and getting out of vechicle and driver door would not work. After reading this Great forum i checked out the wires inside the drivers door boot. I found the black wire broken into and connected it back together which fixed the light problem but the door lock would still not work. I just happen to notice a pink and white or yellow wire also broke. I connected it back together and now my drivers door look works as it should. Now to try and find keycode to reset my keyless entry on the door. I agrre with other posters what Great resource we have here. :D

I just purchased a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer and had problems with interior lights staying on for 10 mins after shutting off engine and getting out of vechicle and driver door would not work. After reading this Great forum i checked out the wires inside the drivers door boot. I found the black wire broken into and connected it back together which fixed the light problem but the door lock would still not work. I just happen to notice a pink and white or yellow wire also broke. I connected it back together and now my drivers door look works as it should. Now to try and find keycode to reset my keyless entry on the door. I agrre with other posters what Great resource we have here. :D

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Nice to be able to fix these things ourselves!!

Check out this thread for locating the security module, with the code for the keypad, thanks to Welli for a great write-up!!: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246957&highlight=entry+code

Did it run your battery down?

I have a 2002 explorer ltd. Out of the blue, the interior lights stay on after the engine is shut off. The never go out (mirror lights also) I have lubed every door hinge...nothing, I make sure all doors are closed...nothing, those damn lights won't go out. One other thing..the drivers side door trim door lock switch doesn't work, after I shut the engine off, unless I turn off the interior lights but rolling down the swithh until it clicks off.
If anyone has any insight i would appreciate it. I am so frustrated with this. IF I have to I will bring it to the dealer.
Thanks
Hi i have a 98 and my lights stay on all the time unless i remove the fuse but this causes the windows not to work can anyone please help

mine was doing the same thing but once I turned the interior lights off at the dial next to steering wheel they shut off including the light under the passenger side mirror that stayed on always so i'm not sure what's causing it yet but at least I know how to turn it off lol

Back