My luck. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My luck.

Glad your working and making progress. It's been frogging cold here in Vegas highest 51 for about 3 hours. By Thursday they say back to reg temps 60. I can't wait till it warms up,my joints and muscular dystrophy make me unable do do squat. I got ideas and a goodie list. I've been hitting the pawn shops looking for a mig welder all they had was a monster 440v unit. There's a **** load of milwalkie hand held band saws. I got to check homers price, they were going for around $75 at super pawn. Boy they had tools out of there ass. So if you are looking for hi end stuff give them a look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A mule load of tools, I love pawn shops. I'm making progress, just need to do the cv boots and I can assemble the axle. I'm still missing the upper coil spring isolators so who know when I can put the axle on the car.

A little cv boot strap is laughing at me, once a got the joint cleaned and repacked with grease I realized I don't have the tool to crush the strap ear, I just assumed it would be the kind you pull back on itself and fold the ears over to hold the strap. Experience is something you generally gain just after you need it. I'd like to find the proper tool first, if not then I'll buy the other style straps.

Cant you use a hog ring plyers or a nail currer they both squeeze in and the boot has 2 ears that needed to be squeeze togeather. I keep a bundle of hf steel zip ties in my box when plastic won't do.

Cant you use a hog ring plyers or a nail currer they both squeeze in and the boot has 2 ears that needed to be squeeze togeather. I keep a bundle of hf steel zip ties in my box when plastic won't do.
Napa auto parts has the cv strap pliers for $7.99. I wasn't the cheapest tool in the store, the guy behind the counter was trying to explain how to use flat nose pliers. Sure my wallet bends light when I open it but having the right tool for the job makes it so much more enjoyable. Here is the final product, painted cast iron gray.
20170131_171503.jpg

Nice looking shame it's going to get Road grime on it.

Nice looking shame it's going to get Road grime on it.
That is why I painted it, makes it easier to wash clean. I've spent days with a wire wheel cleaning parts. The upper coil spring pads arrived. I ordered a johnny joint for the axle above the case gear. It shipped yesterday, I should see it in a day or two so this weekend I'll do the swap.

There was far more damage than I expected, but I got lucky that most of the damage was on the axle that I replaced today. The impact bent the right axle tube as I expected but it also bent the left side. When the steering hit the bump stop the force pulled on the drivers side knuckle. All the ball joints were broken, the control arm tabs on the right side had to be straightened as well as the tack bar mount. Everything cleaned up all I'm missing is new shocks and calipers. The front driveshaft won't bolt onto the new axle so that is $400 I wasn't expecting to spend.

View attachment 20170205_211114.jpg

Dam shame,hope they will cover the extra damage.

Dam shame,hope they will cover the extra damage.
Once I cashed the check I own it. They paid me to do a swap I was already gathering parts for.

Sorry for the surprise,you got a set of wheels 15/16 with 215 or 225 mud and snow or ta you need to get rid of for cash. I called hip cap Annie finding a tire under 30" on a 15-16 rim scarce I got one guy begging me he has a 2005 explorer aluminum rim or 2014 rim with factory 265-65-17 all 4 for 175. I would have to cut my lips that's a 30 inch tire also and almost 10" wide. So if you ant got zip I'm hitting the bone yard tomarrow again. They won't tell me on the phone.

The new axle is in! I can't believe the difference in ride. No more death wobble. Replacing the spring pads I gained 1.5 inches in ride height and it is so much quieter going down the road. The job is almost complete, I just need the clock spring replaced in the steering wheel and align everything. the steering wheel off center drives me crazy.

Dam,were you hideing a set of rims. Did you see my new lugs almost $1.00 each

Dam,were you hideing a set of rims. Did you see my new lugs almost $1.00 each
WJ is 5x5, I have 2 complete sets, they won't fit your van or I would have sold a set to you.

I picked up a 500 ft # impact gun tonight. I had a 3/8 impact wrench I didn't know it was only 45#. Until I read the book . I only had it 12 years. At lease this will do my lug nuts and break shock nuts or anything that's frozen.

I picked up a 500 ft # impact gun tonight. I had a 3/8 impact wrench I didn't know it was only 45#. Until I read the book . I only had it 12 years. At lease this will do my lug nuts and break shock nuts or anything that's frozen.
My 1/2 inch drive impact is rated at 500 ft lbs and it wouldn't break some of the bolts loose or the ball joints with the C press on that axle. I had to use a 1 inch drive impact.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back