My Old girl's going to *****

icerhino

Reaction score
City, State
Isle of Man UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 v6 4ltr
Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help me. I've got 2 problems with my beloved 1999 4 ltr....

The first is very strange indeed..When I am driving slowly (less than 5mph) - say pulling up to a stop sign or manoevering in a car park, if I turn the wheels left and press the brake, then then the brake lets off say 80% and the pedal goes soft. I can also hear a sound a bit like a spring releasing...Wierd...In all other respects and at normal speeds the brakes work fine.

The second problem - may prove to be expensive I fear...I was reversing today, in a very tight space in a lane and suddenly I heard a loud bang...I thought I'd hit something so I drove off (just kidding). I stopped and checked the vehicle and there was no damage so drove off. A few minutes later, I tried to reverse into a space and I discovered that the old girl no longer had a reverse gear....just an extra neutral where reverse used to be. Forward seems to be fine! So I'm going to have a challenging few days on the parking front.

Anyone any ideas....? What's the cost of a new gear box?

Thanks a million
Martin. :Isle of Man

Hi and welcome.

#1 Sounds like it might be an abs problem which would mean a sensor on the front hub (these are the same as the ranger so you can get these from ford dealer for about £50). Friend had similar problem a new sensor and all was well.

#2 Yes they are expensive (approx £1,500) if you can track one down. May have to call around but any decent auto box repair place should be able to do the job. Good luck.

Thanks

Hi Howard

:D Thanks for the info regarding the ABS sensors - I'll give it a try.

Regarding the gearbox....I'll start saving :confused: !

Kind regards
Martin

Dangerous

Re your gearbox problem,
I had the same thing with my 1998 Exporer, I got a new Ford box for £800.00 from Inchcape Ford and did the job myself, the oil cost another £100. It only took a couple of evenings to change the box. I also found a Ford breaker's web site that would have sent me a second hand box for around £500.
Hope this helps

Dangerous.

By the way does anyone know where I can get a CVJ/ drive shaft cheap.

Back