my reason for not being on EF as much (56k warning) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my reason for not being on EF as much (56k warning)

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
so since I havent been on EF in quite some time I figured I would dedicate a thread to my reason. about a year and a half ago I picked up a 1999 Saab 9-5. Came with a 2.3 lpt (low pressure turbo) rated at 170hp and mated to a 5 speed. I left it alone for a while, but had to mod it, just couldnt help it. I started with 15% tint all the way around, which I love! i also added an aux in to the stock HU and an Infinity Basslink sub in the trunk. adds a lot of bass, but not to much to the already 7 speaker system (with no subs). next thing i did was to clear out the corner lights, replace the bulbs with silverstar ones, and to replace the orange side markers with newer model smoked ones. 6000K HID headlights were also fitted and i put mesh behind the front grill. I actually replaced the intake snorkel with an uprated Aero model one but later replaced the intake box with a cone filter that i custom mated using a PVC adapter. doesnt do a whole lot for performance but makes it so you can actually here the turbo and diverter valve. i also picked up a complete dark grey leather interior, door panels, heated seats and center console for $250 on ebay. everything plugged right up and the car was pre-wired for heated seats so they work! :D then i decided i didnt like the black rub strips on the door and bumpers so i color matched them to the car. when i got done with that i decided that i didnt like the silver rims, just to much silver, so i painted them gun metal. and the car now has the uprated larger clutch from an Aero as well (a 20+ hour ordeal that i did myself) and coming here in the next week should be a tune that should bump the motor up by 35-40bhp. a boost and EGT gauge will also be custom mounted on the A-piller and recovered in fabric to look factory. and then exhaust will be the next addition as well as an aero front lip and a ducktail spoiler on the boot. anyway, on to the pictures, i dont have an actual picture of the car in stock form but this is as close as i could get

saab2.jpg

Jul12_0001.jpg

Jul16_0001.jpg

Jul16_0002.jpg

Jul16_0003.jpg

Jul20_0001-1.jpg

Jul20_0002.jpg

Jul20_0003.jpg

Sep19_0001.jpg

Sep19_0003.jpg

Sep19_0004.jpg

the wheel bolts have been changed and are now the stock silver color, which gives nice contrast. and sorry for the crappy pics they are all cell phone ones, i dont own a nice camera.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweetness, now for some pics of the interior as it get's done.

Great work!

Jeff -

its been a while since ive posted on this, since my truck has bad trans #2 the car has been getting more attention.

_DSC4717.jpg

_DSC4646.jpg

_DSC4650.jpg

_DSC4653.jpg

_DSC4665.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

3" Downpipe comes next week, and I still havent gotten a tune on it yet. Downpipe should next 15hp and 20 ft pound at the wheels. as proven by dyno results :D and the front bumper has been repainted!

I've never been a fan of saabs but that looks good.

nice lookin saab u got there

Once again, I now badly want a 9-5. Thank you!

That really looks great, but dear lord what did you do to the DI cassette and valve cover!?

Once again, I now badly want a 9-5. Thank you!

That really looks great, but dear lord what did you do to the DI cassette and valve cover!?
haha, sorry Todd. I got kinda bored and decided to go swede on it. downpipe is being made right now. cant wait to get it back! :D

Ok, I'll let you have that! Any idea how much power it's putting down now? Have you adjusted the boost at all?

Should be close to 200 at the crank. i adjusted the wastegate some to get a little more boost, maybe 1.5 more psi then stock (7 psi) which im suprised i got since the trionic is so picky. once i go stage 2, i might actually be able to go up to 3 without upgrading the IC and turbo. granted i want to ditch the GT1752 in favor of the TD04.

and with the downpipe i start boosting at around 1100 RPM and acheive full boost (8.5 psi) by 2K.

Nice, not bad considering the original specs. I know the Linear pulls fairly well for it's level of power.

sick saab

my friend has a 98 900S 2.0T that he went Stage 2 with and it's a mean mean machine.

Its amazing how just one little black stripe changed to silver can have such a big impact on the look of the entire car, looks good. Have you thought about color matching the door handles?

:wtf:

The roof may grow on me. Ultimately it's your decision. That is a really sharp looking 9-5. I know I've said it once and I'll say it again! Sounds great too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good and ur exhaust sounds awesome too

Back