My Trac "The Mistress" might be TKO'd and parked for a while. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Trac "The Mistress" might be TKO'd and parked for a while.

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I've been having problems with the timing chain tensioners rattling for about a year and a half now (no biggie) but it's progressively been degrading. Now my o/d light has been flashing and the transmission has been struggling to climb the many hills and mountains around Pittsburgh (no flat ground in this city, all really steep hills).

I'm going to take the truck down to the trans shop and have the codes read to see if it's something simple or if my trans is fried. Even if the trans is a cheap easy fix my motor is has had enough. It has between 111-115k miles on it, probably the higher side (speedo has been off due to bigger tires for a couple of years now) reads 111k now.

I was going to use the V8 from my wife's '97 Mountaineer but she totaled it last summer so plans changed. I'm now hunting for an older F-Series truck with V8 drivetrain and manual transfercase to do a full swap along with the SAS, SOA at the same time, probably be a year or two before she see's the road/ trail again (we'll see).

Guess it's time to finally get a build thread started sometime. :salute:

IMG_3975.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man that's sad to hear rebel but some of use not so lucky to be able to do a SAS yet would love to buy front end parts when you do :)

They'll go up for sale when I start the teardown, all newer top of the line parts. Not sure when that'll be but I'll list it here first.

I thought they fixed that tensioner problem for the 2003 model year? Sux to see it down...

Sorry to hear that jerry hope it is quick recovery

Unless I bought a winning lottery ticket today it'll be a long time before it's road/ trail worthy.

Unless I bought a winning lottery ticket today it'll be a long time before it's road/ trail worthy.

Can't win if you don't play, right?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you'll come across an old F150 for the motor and trans soon.

Wishing you the best Jerry. Very few have put the time, effort, and TLC into their Trac's as you have. GL

Back