My V8 with Borla pipes and flowmaster muffler. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My V8 with Borla pipes and flowmaster muffler.

ksfrogman

Reaction score
My V8 with Borla pipes and Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Okay, I want some input here. I have a '96 Explorer XLT V8. I paid about 500 bucks for a Borla exhaust system that I installed about one month ago. It was so damn quiet. The exhaust note was a little bit deeper, but unless I stomped on the throttle, it was hard to tell I even had an aftermarket exhaust on. So I did the most unpractical, unthinkable thing, and had the stainless steel Borla muffler replaced with a 50 series aluminized Flowmaster (2 1/2 inch inlets, 3 inch outlet). The Flowmaster was about 1 to 2 inches longer than the Borla, and guess what? The damn vehicle still sounds about the same, perhaps quieter at lower rpms, but slightly deeper in tone when I stomp on the throttle and get the rpms higher. Is this because the 4 catalytic converters quiet the engine down?

That last venture cost me $180.00. Damnit. So I went back to the muffler shop, and had them replace the stainless steel resonator ($25), with a piece of aluminized pipe. Now I can at least hear the exhaust sound somewhat. Now the exhaust sound is almost as loud as the road noise from wind and tires. Am I deaf?

1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 AWD
Custom half wrap leaf in rear w/ 2" torsion twist lift
31 x 10.5 x 15 BFG All Terrains on 15 x 8.5 inch wheels
Speedometer sensor cog replaced to correct speed reading
Deflectashield fender flairs painted to match running boards
Waag Brush guard w/ KC Daylighters
Rear tail-light guards
KKM Motorsports air intake
Hypertech chip
Rockford Fosgate 12 inch bandpass and amp connected to stock JBL factory premium sound system
Rear air deflector
Draw-Tite Class IV hitch
5% Window tint (all windows behind driver)
Newer Explorer "GT" logo rear hatch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How loud are you trying to get exactly? I have heard a V8 with a 50 series and it's relatively loud to me. It's definatly not a straight pipe or anything but it's definately louder than stock. The 4-cats on V8 might have something to do with it (why did ford have to do that??) but I know the 5.0L can get loud (as many 5.0 mustangs prove).

Also, how much performance/mileage did you get with the KKM on the 5.0L? Thanks.

loud enough so i can at least know it's there

I know perceiving and describing sound is totally subjective, but my two Supras ('84 and '89 turbo) and MR2 were all louder than my Explorer is (all with aftermarket exhausts). I'm not sure why my Explorer seems so quiet. Actually, now with the resonator removed, it sounds just about right, but definitely not the sound those 4.6 or 5.0 Mustangs have when they zoom by me on the highway or even in the city. It's interesting to note how much difference that little resonator makes it sound. It's totally see-through from one end to the other (non-restrictive) like a silencer on a gun muzzle. I don't have a dB meter.

The addition of the KKM air filter actually did make the engine sound a little louder too. The vehicle seems to launch with less effort, and cruises up to 70 to 80 mph with considerable ease. What I imagine as increased performance seems to make my vehicle much easier and more enjoyable to drive on the LA freeway system and in town. I wish I had more concrete, objective findings for you like dyno test results or quarter-mile times, but I don't.

By the way, when I turn on one of my favorite radio stations, 94.7 The Wave (smooth jazz), turn the factory radio volume to 12, I cannot even hear my engine at freeway speed unless I stomp on the throttle."

My gas mileage sucks. I don't think it got better when I added this stuff, and I also disconnected my battery and reconnected it several times. I'm getting about 12 to 13 mpg now, but remember, I'm in stop and go traffic a lot to and from work as drive through bumper to bumper L.A. traffic every day.

I think at 12-13 mpg, your gas mileage is ok for a 5.0L in stop and go traffic. Am I wrong on that? I think 12-13 in stop n' go is right on for the V8 in the Explorer.

ksfrogman:
Thanks for the info on the KKM.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I get about 15 in town in my V8 AWD. You probably drive (out of neccesity in LA) a little 'quicker' than I do around town so 13 is probably right for ALL town driving. If you've got some relativly smooth highway miles in there then you should be getting more. I get about 17-18 on the expressway depending on speed.

If you really want to hear your exhaust, put on a 2 chamber flowmaster (40 series). It would sound sweet.

no 40 series for V8

From what I was told, the only 40 series that were even close to working for my V8 were the ones with two outlets and one inlet, but as you know, this muffler is directional. The V8 Explorer has two inlets and one outlet, so though I've seen many posts for the 40 series on older Explorers, I have yet to see someone with a V8 with that. The muffler shop guy said there is simply no such animal for my vehicle.

don't listen to what the dealer sais. there is a flowmaster for everybody. if you go somewhere like discount auto and ask to look at their books you can probably find several mufflers that would work. i was told the same thing w/ my bronco but ended up w/ some SWEET exhaust. i started out w/ a 40 series and ended up w/ free flow cats and turn downs. I PROMISE IF YOU DO THIS COMBINATION YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. I BET MY RIG (better make that girlfriend just in case) THAT YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE W/ THE SOUND. do you like the way mustangs sound? that's what's you gotta do then. to be quite honest, borla is NOT loud but sound mellow and clean, flowmaster 50 serious are a waste of money if you want volume, and the 30 series just sounds like straight pipes, but the two chamber 40 series is a bad boy. you should also consider running a bigger pipe diameter. the bigger the pipe, the bigger the sound. -russel

don't take this the wrong way, but who would pay $500 for borla? or even flowmaster. no muffler system is worth that. cat backs are rip offs and so are most franchised muffler shops. you shouldn't pay more than $30 for you muffler and pipes to be welded in. try and find the guy w/ the smallest, dirtiest shop and who could care less if your standing there whenever NASCAR is on. that's the guy who will treat you right.

hmmm

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I could go to the Flowmaster website and try to figure it out? What type of vehicle do you have that has the 40 series on? And which engine? I've learned the hard way with regard to the Borla exhaust, but had I not done that, I would have never known.

I've got the 50 series, (2) 2 1/4" in, (1) 3" out, with 3" tailpipe. It's not that loud outside, especially at idle, but it drones big time inside. Out of 7 vehicles I've run Flowmaster on, this is the only one I've been disappointed with.

No measurable gas mileage improvement, but definitely stouter mid-range and high-end. Or course, the K&N and air box play a part in that, too.

I don't know what labor prices are like in GA, but here in Silicon Valley, CA, it would cost more than $30 just to write up the order. I paid $250 for the muffler, talipipe, and install at a local independent.

Pete

Pete,

I'm curious, did the solid sway bars make the vehicle ride any rougher? Are you happy with them? One of my gripes about the Explorer is that when I go over stuff like speed bumps diagonally, it sets the vehicle in a left to right rocking motion like a pendulum that shakes the ear wax out of my ears. Do the stiffer sway bars take care of the problem? Whenever I have installed sway bars on my sports cars, it makes them handle better, but also made them ride a little rougher as well.

i HAD the 40 series, delta flow, on my 1990 full size bronco w/ a 302. the muffler only cost me $60 and the labor $30 b/c i cut out my old muffler my self and he welded in the new one w/ new hangers and turn down(which make a huge difference). Ford is also natorious for over "cat"ing their vehicles. i would highly recommend ordering some replacement "highflow" cats to replace the stock ones. hope you get this worked out w/o having to spend to much more time and $-russel

Well, the Explorer Express swaybars come with Energy Suspension poly bushings, so maybe that would help offset any rougher ride...

I'd be interested to know if the swaybars cut down on the "side-to-side rocking" when going over a bump too.

Ksfrogman / Rhett:

I honestly can't say whether or not the sway bars reduced the side-to-side rocking. In theory, they should accentuate it, because you're essentially tying the two sides of the vehicle together, reducing the IFS effect. What I can say is, they help the handling and reduce the body roll BIG TIME. I was hoping for a little improvement, but this thing is a hoot to burn around corners now. The chassis dynamics are still totally mediocre - the steering has no road feel, even with 3 1/2 degrees of positive caster, and the frame's a flexi-flyer, but it still goes around smooth corners faster than it has a right to.

For the $$, they're a great improvement. I'm really pleased with the Edelbrock shocks, too.

Pete

Seems like maybe better front coil springs might handle the side-to-side that ksfrogman and I described...like some Eibach springs for a lowered Explorer, or something like that.

But yes I know what you mean, Pete, when you say it might accentuate it. But it's not a big deal to me.

Sounds pretty fun, having the ability to "throw it around corners".

I just have one question

Thanks for the input. Sounds real encouraging. I do have one important question though: do the stiffer sway bars make the explorer ride more roughly? I mean, when you go over a bump, does it tend to seem less compliant, and more bouncy? Since I went to the 6 ply BFG's that need to be inflated more, I sometimes feel like I'm riding a beach ball when I hit a bump.

exhaust system

since the subject is about exhaust system, I thought I'd ask how many of you guys/gals had replaced their factory/stock cat with a high flow cat? can anyone recommend/suggest a brand? also, can anyone give some input on how to duplicate a mustang's exhaust note?

ksfrogman:
I have a Borla exhaust system in my 5.0 Explorer. The sound is a big improvement over the stock exhaust . It may not sound the same as an exhaust-modified Mustang 5.0, but still sounds good imho.

ksfrogman-
if you really want your exhaust to do some serious barking, how 'bout a set of these mamma-jammas :) http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14714 (sorry, it'll take forever to load) I know that people don't seem to be real sweet on the idea of bumping up the tailpipe size, but IMO, my little 4.0 makes some decent noise with headers, a dynomax super turbo muffler (cheap! - 2" in, 2 1/4" out) that I had run straight out the back underneath the bumper, with a 3" stainless resonator tip to polish it off (tip made a pretty nice difference in the overall sound). that setup's probably a little quiet for you, though... most of the guys here seem to think that, if you want to go loud, a Flowmaster 40 is the ticket. olivesman is right, you have been fed a line of crap by someone who really doesn't know much about aftermarket exhaust. they make a muffler for just about everything - all you need to do is figure out what pipe size you want and let the muffler shop do the rest.

good luck!
Aaron

thanks aaron for the terrific advice. you know, i had the borla resonator replaced by a straight pipe, so my 500 dollar borla system now is just about the mandrel bent stainless steel pipe, as i had replaced the borla muffler with a 50 series flowmaster.

actually, i do like the way my vehicle sounds now. very mustang-like, even when gently pulling out from a dead stop. it has a very healthy v8 sound to it that is not obnoxious. once i'm at a cruising speed, it still has a minimal deep hum, but when i floor it, it sounds pretty baaaaaaaad. nonetheless, it's still not as loud as many vehicles out there, which is fine by me.

that jc whitney system looks real interesting. i actually was day dreaming on the way home, imagine what sidepipes would look like, and then you post that link. what timing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont forget headers! Try replacing the factory anemic headers with SVO headers to spike up your tone! www.gefracing.com will sell them to you for $160, at least that's what they told me over the phone.

(Fixed Link)

Back