My V8 with Borla pipes and flowmaster muffler. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My V8 with Borla pipes and flowmaster muffler.

hey 65- that website doesn't work. can you try it again. i'd be interested to look at those. thanks -russel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you don't feel like paying JBA money & can't find the SVO ones, I think I saw some Pacesetter ceramic coated headers for the 4.0 @ jcwhitney for like $240 or something, they had unfinished steel and chrome too (less expensive) if I remember right. Hedman also makes pretty inexpensive headers for that motor (I have a set, paid 250 or 260 I think??). you can get 'em from Summit for sure, but I think you have to call because they're not on the website - maybe Jegs has them too.

hope this helps

Aaron

50 state legal?

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't believe any of the headers I've seen are legal in California where I now reside. Major bummer, because I've always liked the idea of changing out the exhaust manifold, and the ones on the V8 are very restrictive!!!

The only problem I've ever had with headers are the ones that have the thin flanges. Sometimes they warp and cause exhaust leaks.

But once again, the main dilemma is the smog legality issue in Cali.

I'm pretty sure mine were 50-state legal, but not positive... it may only have been 48. they don't bother us with testing too much here in Mich - most of my friends who have rodded their trucks out do have some degree of hearing loss, though :)

if you can find a set that's legal and are still worried about the flange warping, there's always the sawzall... you can just zip the flanges off between the pipes and that'll pretty much solve the problem. another way to get around it is to coat the gaskets they give you with orange RTV - that has worked leak-free on my truck for over a year now. I've had more problems with collector gaskets coming loose than anything else.

Aaron

5.0 power

hi, my 96 explorer 5.0 has the 50 series 3 inch on it, a kn fuel injection performance kit and a power programmer 3 but i want more power. I would love to get rid of the four catalytic converters under my truck. Maybe bypass them completely, maybe just put one big three inch down there. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to remove some or all of the cats without messing up the o2 sensor. I've heard that for street/racing cars you can plug the sensors into something which tricks them into reading properly even when they are disconnected. Or what happens if you just clean out the insides of the cats. would that mess up the sensors. Otherwise does anyone have any experience gaining real power from about the point I am now at without using a blower.

Expo
Did you ever cut out your cats or anything? How do you like your exhaust and other mods?
Have you checked into headers?

wow you were really talking to the wrong guy about exhaust... a true good muffler guy can put any muffler on your rig as long as it has 2 inlets. that guy who told you it wouldnt work to put a 40 series on your explorer was a complete ediot. id suggest that if you do want to change your sound in the future, go to a custom muffler shop and tell them what you want. they can do anything you want if they are good.

If you want to go to the 40 series you'll have to either get a Y pipe or put in two 40s because I don't think they make dual inlet flowmaster 40 originals.

y pipes and duals are definatly good options... im goin for dual 40's with 3'' pipes on my 96 v8

I put a set of Pacesetter headers on my 4.0, then i took the rest of my exhaust off after the cats. now THAT made my truck loud.

NOTE: anyone planning on buying Pacesetter headers and doing a self install. DONT BUY PACESETTER!

I bought them for $245 at a local store. Bolt in my butt. after i got the stock manifold out and the stock y pipe (what a nightmare) i bolted the headers up, they bolted on quite easy. then trying to get the pacesetter y pipe to bolt up to the headers? yeah right it was like the y pipe wasnt even made for those headers. i had to use pry bars just to get the y pipe bolted to they headers. then the cats wouldnt bolt up to the other end of the y pipe cause it was too crooked!

Then after all that the headers just rusted and look like hell. i suggest buying some headers that are a little higher quality.

Throw an x-pipe in and 2 40 series mufflers with duals. RTstork has that setup and it looks nice. I have a dual in/dual out 50 series.
194666_7_full.jpg

Back