• Register Today It's free!

My winter tires are on

Eject

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Got my new 2017 Explorer Sport back in July and now winter is just around the corner. I'm always oddly excited for winter driving, living in Canada can have that effect.

Back in September I booked my tire appointment and secured a set of Nokian Nordman 7's on a set of aftermarket steelies. The Finns know winter and understand how to make great winter tires. We just moved a bit further north and are now located in a snow belt. I can't wait to see how they perform.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Blizzaks are going back on tomorrow. They are stored at the dealership. It will be their 4th Winter.

Peter

2017 Platinum.JPG

Going to order up some blizzaks and second set of wheels soon. I love the days when you get to really push proper winter tires. My wife’s S5 with snow tires is a blast in the snow.

Here's mine -- posted these about a year ago elsewhere:
9QNpyJ.jpg

lw4dMQ.jpg

Got my new 2017 Explorer Sport back in July and now winter is just around the corner. I'm always oddly excited for winter driving, living in Canada can have that effect.

Back in September I booked my tire appointment and secured a set of Nokian Nordman 7's on a set of aftermarket steelies. The Finns know winter and understand how to make great winter tires. We just moved a bit further north and are now located in a snow belt. I can't wait to see how they perform.

Interesting subject. I've got my Blizzak's ready to go on again, but they are about 10 years old now.

I've been looking at the Nokian tires, I was wanting the 8's last year, but now there's a new version 9. I like both, but the 8's dropped to $153 each, and the 9's are at $195, but only a 17" size is usable for me. Do you guys like the heavily studded tires for all snow, or does it make any difference in deeper dry unpacked snow? I see plenty of hills here, and mild snow is no trouble, but depth and unpacked snow doesn't provide any decent grip.

Here's my last set of Blizzak's, on Sport Trac wheels, in about 2006 or so when I bought my current set. Those were 255/65/16's, and now I aim for a 245mm tire, the 17" size is a 245/65/17(29.5" tall).

Snowday02130602.JPG

At 10 years old it's probably time to replace them.
I got a good deal on the Nokian Nordman 7's but we haven't seen any snow just yet. Studs aren't permitted here.
The best winter tires thay I've owned have been the Gilsaved NordFrost 3's on a 2002 Civic. They were very impressive in the snow. I have a set of Toyo Observe's on my Jetta, they use crushed walnut shells in the compound. They're a good tire but not as good as the Gilsaveds. I've also had a set of Nokian Hakkapelita 4's and they were also good.

Back