Mystery connector on a 1994 Explorer Limited. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mystery connector on a 1994 Explorer Limited.

tomhilbil

Reaction score
City, State
crystal lake , il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
I have a connector that is connected to nothing on my 94 expl limited. i bought it used and my buddy says it was like that when he bought it. she has shifting problems. acoording to my wire diagram the clutch cycling pressure switch should have a purple wire and a dark green/ orange but it has a red/yellow wire coming out going to this connector and a dark green/ orange wire on this unconnected conector. emission diagram is no help cause the battery is on drivers side on picture and mines on passenger. i am trying to use my chiltons to find out what the heck this connects to but no help. there is a cut connection but it goes to brake fluid level sensor with is missing, its the thrid pic
mysteryconnectorclose.jpg

mysterywireafar.jpg

brakewires.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you look at that round can-like thing on the A/C line (you can see it in the first two pics), there is a pressure switch/sensor on the bottom side of it. That looks suspiciously like the connector for that.... especially because the lead on it is so long.

the "bulb" on the air line has no connection. the master cylander has no connetion either. unless its where the brake fluid level sensor should be. its not there

I think the A/C cycling switch is on the flange on the back of the compressor. I may be thinking of my '95 not my '94.

FYI: The dark green/orange wire is circuit number 198 and its for the A/C cycling switch. A PINK/yellow wire is circuit number 331 and goes to the A/C wide open throttle cut-out relay.

I dont have the full wiring diagram here at work, but I'll check for a red/yellow when I get home.

I think the A/C cycling switch is on the flange on the back of the compressor. I may be thinking of my '95 not my '94.

There is a connector which goes to the clutch coil on the compressor, but it is rectangular... and then the low pressure switch which makes it cycle on and off is located on the drier.

To the OP, can you get a pic from the side/bottom of that can-thing? Does your A/C work?

Ok, I just looked in my EVTM for a 94. That connector goes to the A/C high pressure cutout switch. This switch is listed as only on the R-134a systems.

Like TEDJ said:
ThumbnailLarge.ashx

No Ted, I wasnt talking about the clutch coil wire. I was thinking about my 95 with the 01 SOHC, It has that switch on the inlet/outlet flange on the back of the compressor.

this first pic is of bottom of the can thingy. sorry for glare, best i could do.
bottomsideacline.jpg

here is the top veiw
topveiwacline.jpg

the line origonates behing the a/c compressor
backaccompressororigaclin.jpg

the main line comes off the top and runs thru engine compartment
topveiwaclinethruengine.jpg

it runs to this contraption with i beleave is the canister for the clutch. the red/ yellow wire origonates here
destinationaclineorigredyello.jpg

I am starting to think that this line might have been replaced and this line doesnot contain the sensor where this connector is suppose to go

the silver one you see on top veiw might be wear a sensor may go. i have no A/C

A picture is worth a thousand words - so here are two thousand words:
Click on the thumbnail for a larger version.

The big white tube in the first picture is the power steering reservoir. That plug is indeed for the A/C High Pressure Cutout switch, but the pictures show you where it goes.

then it is deffinatly not the stock A/C line cause my bulb doesnot have press cut out switch. can i just jump this connection?

If the explorer is a 1994 then it has the wrong ac line in it. Because the picture you are showing is a 1993 it has an adapter to change from r-12 to r-134. In 93 was r-12 94 is r-134 possible someone put wrong line into vehicle and left connector off. Looking back at picture It is A 94 due to it having an egr 93 didnt .Someone put wrong line in truck!

must have been previous owner. probably why the A/c cut out relay is not in. thank you for the help. it is greatly appreachiated. I just wonder if i should jump this connection.

If the explorer is a 1994 then it has the wrong ac line in it. Because the picture you are showing is a 1993 it has an adapter to change from r-12 to r-134. In 93 was r-12 94 is r-134 possible someone put wrong line into vehicle and left connector off. Looking back at picture It is A 94 due to it having an egr 93 didnt .Someone put wrong line in truck!

I'll go along with "wrong A/C line". If the electrical connector is there then the switch was supposed to be there as well.

You can try jumping it, and in theory it should work, but I would highly advise getting the proper A/C lines in the vehicle. The whole purpose of that switch is to protect the A/C system from damage by interupting power to the compressor during times of high system pressure. You might be fine with it jumped or you might end up encountering the scenario that the switch was designed to protect against.

It's pretty apparent that the PO liked to jury-rig stuff on that Explorer (wrong A/C hoses, cut electrical connectors, missing relays), so there could be more going on than you realize.

i got it from a third owner for 300$. the a/c does not work anyway but i am losing voltage to my TPS witch might be causing 1-2 ,2-3 gear flare. this red/ yellow wire comes from clutch cycling pressure switch, but as i stated before my wire diagram has the dk grn/ orang wire split from here and go to A/c wot cut out relay and to the electronical control assembly. the relay is pulled. does anyone know if there is a resistance in this switch?
i jimmy rigged a photo of my diagram :)
wiredigram2-1.jpg

i jumped the sensor with a wire and she has not showed any problems resulting. I still have yet to put a relay in A/C cut out yet so jumping the wire probably did little

Back