Narrowing down Rear Wiper problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Narrowing down Rear Wiper problem?

daywatch201

Reaction score
City, State
Rogue River, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XL
I have been on here all morning reading every post I could find that might help me with my 1999 Explorer (only 29K miles!) problem which is; the rear windshield wiper has stopped working as of last night: I last used the rear wiper about one month ago and it was working fine then. Washer fluid is dispensed when the rear wiper button is depressed, but no wiper movement of any kind in any of the operational modes: however there is a steady, slow, electricial "clicking" heard when the wiper button is activated. I have tried the "slam rear window/tailgate" cure method, as well as moving the rubber washer arm gasket to see that it was not binding the washer arm, and also seating/re-seating the wiper arm, but none of these worked. Does this sound like a burned out wiper motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give the arm a shake. Sometimes when the position sensor is starting to fail, this will make it work for a while.

Eneurb said:
Give the arm a shake. Sometimes when the position sensor is starting to fail, this will make it work for a while.

Thats what I did with mine. Just help it out of the cradle once and it'll work. Mines been working for a month or so now.

Sometimes the motor wants the arm to sit a fraction of an inch lower than where it is to consider it parked, and that's what happens. As usual the rear wiper motor has been re-engineered, and comes with a little warning to not test cycle the motor without installing the arm in the proper position on the rest, so that it is in the correct park position.

Hi daywatch201:

I have the EXACT same problem on my '01 Sport. I've even taken out the hatch liner and removed the motor assembly. Got it working, but I don't know how. It just started to work. Now, however, it only works about 1/3 of the time. I've checked the wiring harness, but everything checks out. I'm inclined to go with what Eneurb says. This makes sense. I'm going to try removing the wiper arm and seeing if it will cycle. Then reinstall the arm so that it is slightly elevated above its rest. Maybe this will get it working consistently.

Regards,
John.

Thanks all, for your help!

I thank everyone for their helpful replies. I called my father-in-law last night....he owns a 2002 Explorer, brought it barnd new. It just went out of warranty and shortly thereafter, his rear wiper stopped working too! I will try taking the arm off and slightly repositioning it....if that doesn't work, then screw it! My '99 is my hunting rig and its a wonder a big tree branch hasn't snagged the rear wiper and torn it completely off by now, anyhow.

Update:

Spent about 30 minutes fiddling with the wiper arm last night. It hasn't worked at all in the past couple of days, and nothing I did last night changed that.

Clearly, the motor is getting the signal to run, because I can hear a clicking sound coming from it (I still have the interior panel off, so its easy to hear). If I put the wiper control on one of the delay settings, the clicking becomes intermittant. I'm assuming that there is a mechanical problem inside the motor or gearbox that won't allow the arm shaft to rotate. I tried leaving the arm off to let it rotate, but it made no difference. I tried opening the rear window while it was "running", and the clicking stopped. Re-closed the rear window & hatch multiple times, but only clicking. I think it's just broken. I'm stopping by the dealership for a new wiper motor on the way home tomorrow.

Regards,
John.

For "Tool Man" RE: Rear wiper

Hi,

I read your post and your rear wiper problem is described EXACTLY the same as mine is. Did you ever stop by the Dealer yet to see if your motor needs to be replaced? I have jostled, jiggled, re-positioned, and slammed rear window and tailgate multiple times but nothing has changed....my rear wiper still won't move, but I do get the audible "clicking" when I throw the rear wiper switch.

daywatch201 said:
Hi,

I read your post and your rear wiper problem is described EXACTLY the same as mine is. Did you ever stop by the Dealer yet to see if your motor needs to be replaced?

No. I found out a new one costs $50, so I've put it off. I just blew my "Explorer mod" budget for this month on a hood scoop, and I'm still recovering from new wheels and tires last month. This weekend, I might take it back out and crack it open. Maybe it's fixable. I figure I've got nothing to lose, because it doesn't work now.

Regards,
John.

If it's an internal short, which is what it usually is on these POS's, then you are a braver man than I if you attempt to "fix it". :banghead:

Hi all:

I opened it up, but couldn't find anything visibly wrong with it. I called the dealer and found out there's a core charge, so I decided not to mess with it too much. I just bought a new one ($65 + $35 core) and put it in. It works great now. Hopefully it's fixed.

Regards,
John.

I took mine out Sunday night. I cleaned off the contacts inside the back cover (the ones that tell it where it's at). There was some significant black crud accumulated on the slip ring, so I cleaned it off and gently sanded the contacts to make sure there was no corrosion there. Seems to have done the trick (for now at least). I'll give it a week of non-use and see if it works then. For the last year, if I use it every day, it works fine. Get a week-long stretch of sun and it needs the "slam the window/gate/hit a pot-hole trick" to get it working. We'll see if it works.

-Joe

Back