• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wiper Problem, Relays?

tym2clm

Reaction score
City, State
South Central Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT AWD
I have a problem with my rear window wiper, it doesn't work. I am the second owner of my 1999 XLT. It looks like the previous owner backed into something and pushed the wiper assembly up a bit. Everything has been straightened out. There is power to the motor. I think the motor is ok but I'm not totally sure how to check it. When I turn the rear wiper switch on I can here the relays in the high amp box clicking. Could the relays be bad? Or maybe a bad switch? The washer pump works fine. All the fuses check out ok. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you own a tester, I would open up the rear door and see if the power is making it to the motor. If it is, it's the motor. If not, see if the power is making it past the relay, if it is, there's something between the relay and the motor, otherwise check if power is making it to the relay. If it is, it's the relay, if not see if power is making from the switch. Etc, etc, etc...

ty, you are certainly not the ony one with problems with the rear wiper. That thing is a certified piece of crap. Even if you can get it to work, it probably won't cover the whole window, I see a few members here that are going to have a body shop remove it completely.

Here's how i get mine to work, turn the key to the on position, turn the wiper on full, go around back and open and slam the hatch.

Can you hear your sprayer when you push the button in?

Yeah, the sprayer works fine now. The fuse for the pump was blown. The first time I tried it after replacing the fuse I got a fountain of water over my rear cargo area window on the passenger side. For some reason the washer fluid supply line had an uncapped hose squirtting fluid inside the vehichel. Strange.

I have had the same problem and I turn the key on and the switch and then tug on the wiper arm where it goes into the tailgate and it will start working I have done this about 3 times in a year so when it stops working I just tug on it again. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip XLT 98. I pulled on the wiper arm a bit and it seems to work fine now. I only wish I had read you post before I bought a new wiper motor off of E-bay. Is anyone interested in a new motor?

i need a new wiper motor what do you want for it?

I was in hurry for it and paid $70 for it. I'd let it go for $60. That's $21 off retail. Send me a private message and we can work out the details.

See i am using the search. When people talk about tugging the wiper arm are they talking about out from the back of the explorer or parrel to the arm. I am really no thappy that this is alreadu happening on my 2000....

Try jiggling it where it goes into the rear door. It could also be the sensor for the rear glass. Have you tried opening/slamming the glass door closed a couple of times?

mine just don't work any ideas not a fuse i know :monkey:

Yup

I have the same problem with my 99 xlt. Since day one Ive had the problem. Id take it in and it worked. I leave and it doesnt work. At this moment its not working. It will work another day. Also on that body style non of the wipers wipe the whole area. Its funny to see of explorers in the rain. Looks funny.

:exp:

yeah my squirter doesn't even work i can't understand what the problem could be :monkey:

Mine decided to stop working yesterday afternoon as it poured down rain. It just stopped in the middle of the friggin rear window. Had to drive all the way home with it sticking up like that, I felt like a dork. When I got home I stood in the rain and pounded on it a couple times with it turned on, got it back down almost all the way to its resting point. I guess I'll work on it a little this afternoon if it don't rain again. I felt like just ripping the dang thing off!

I hate the rear wiper on my '00. It used to wipe like crap until one day it died. Got the motor replaced on warranty. Motor works, but wiper only works when I get outside and give it a push start. Not a desirable situation when it's pouring rain out. If I've been using it all day, it will start by itself, but as soon as time passes, I've got to start the same ritual next time I need it. I love my X, but I really hate the rear wiper setup!

I have also had the same problem with the rear wiper (working, not working). I think I may have found the problem. It was not working yesterday, so today I went to take yet another look at it. Tried it as I had left it last night, nothing. Tried just moving the latch to open the hatch a little and low and behold it worked!!!! Will oil the latch tomorrow.

EB99X said:
I have also had the same problem with the rear wiper (working, not working). I think I may have found the problem. It was not working yesterday, so today I went to take yet another look at it. Tried it as I had left it last night, nothing. Tried just moving the latch to open the hatch a little and low and behold it worked!!!! Will oil the latch tomorrow.

Run that by me again? You're oiling the hatch latch to make your wiper work? :confused:

The latch appears to be sticking and not returning all the way back to its original position. Thus the oiling.

I don't know if there is a sensor/contact or someting in there that's not touching when the latch doesn't return all the way. So I'll try oiling it so that it will return properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine has not worked since i had my x until friday night it just started working out of nowhere for some reason i just tried it and it worked but still does not wipe the whole window :monkey:

Back