rear wiper problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear wiper problem

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
it won't work. i checked the fuse, its ok. the button works b/c when i press it it shoots the windshield washer fluid, so its not the button. is it the wiper motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wiper

Mine did the same thing. Try this. turn the wiper button on and then open and close the back hatch forcefully. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the glass hatch. Ther is a switch that wont allow the wiper to work when the hatch is open. Sometimes it gets finicky. Your wiper motor truly might be burned out, but try this first.

I have had similar difficulties. What I had to do was manually lift the wiper assembly out of the "holder" and reinstall, then it always worked.

Good luck.

Mine did the same thing. I always did the same "fix" as Al, and it always worked. That is until about 2 weeks ago. Now it doesn't work at all. I can hear the motor working back and forth, but no movement...

thats funny you say that the wiper won't work if the hatch is open b/c the door ajar light is on on my dash and i can't get it to go off. maybe the hatch is not shutting right, though I did shut it tight a few times. the window too. i'll try again, maybe wd40 the locks. thanks

It's probably the sensor itself, and not the latch. Try searching, cause I think the how to fix was discussed a while back.....

it was the sensor for the rear window. i just unplugged it for now. it must be a short or something w/ the wire. thanks

Anyone figure out a permanent fix for the rear wiper, what a piece of crap this thing is huh. The more i search the more problems i find with this thing. I used the "slam the hatch with the wiper on", technique, it did work, but i'd rather fix it right if there is a way.

Back