navigation system on limited a real disapointment | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

navigation system on limited a real disapointment

Okay. I have never been to the telenav website so I did what you recommended. First thing I noticed is their site is using Bing maps, not really sure what telenav brings to the table. I plugged in 10 addresses spread across 3 states, some old, some new and telenav found 100% of them. So does that mean since I see 100% you should? No.

I agree with your points. Another reason people might not see 100% (even if Telenav's site showed all of them) is that we may not have the latest data. Telenav apparently update quarterly, but I haven't heard of any update from Ford yet.

From a previous conversation I had, I was led to believe that the maps on the Telenav site are not reflective of the Nav maps (perhaps explained by their use of Bing maps?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, I checked their website again. Maybe there is a big data hole in Texas. I can actually find the location on the map, but can't input the address to search it, it alway point me to an address half city away. Imagine I'm new to here and depend on my GPS. Until you go to an area and get lost, you will find out that it sucks, period!

Just curious, I checked their website again. Maybe there is a big data hole in Texas. I can actually find the location on the map, but can't input the address to search it, it alway point me to an address half city away. Imagine I'm new to here and depend on my GPS. Until you go to an area and get lost, you will find out that it sucks, period!

Yes, I agree it does suck when you get lost even with a GPS. It happened to me several years ago. I got lost using a GPS (a high end expensive Garmin at the time and I consider Garmin to have the best nav product on the market) somewhere in the middle of South Carolina. Wasted several hours of travel time because the map data was wrong. I was following it blindly because I trusted the technology 100%, I learned the hard way. Ever since then I double/triple check route and map data when I can. I have backup nav aids if required(smartphone, maps, whatever...). Most of the time nav gets it right, but there are times it does not, its par for the course.

Yes, I agree it does suck when you get lost even with a GPS. It happened to me several years ago. I got lost using a GPS (a high end expensive Garmin at the time and I consider Garmin to have the best nav product on the market) somewhere in the middle of South Carolina. Wasted several hours of travel time because the map data was wrong. I was following it blindly because I trusted the technology 100%, I learned the hard way. Ever since then I double/triple check route and map data when I can. I have backup nav aids if required(smartphone, maps, whatever...). Most of the time nav gets it right, but there are times it does not, its par for the course.

There have been reports that people have died in the Mojave desert because they depended on out of date or incorrect GPS maps (not the Explorer's maps, but other GPS units). Saw the story on the news months ago (and can't find it now).

Navigation and Sync 2.8

I definitely haven't had the same issues both for navigation and Sync 2.8! I usually use voice command for navigation and my wife and I have a little competition who can get directions faster for a POI, her Iphone 4 or Sync 2.8 using voice command and I usually win by a second. It's kind of funny though, there's only one place my navigation doesn't recognize and it's my 5 year old apartment complex, so I can't even save my apartment as a favorite on the system. I do wish the MFT system would respond alot faster, then the system would be just awesome! I'm still optimistic that continued updates will fix performance issues.

Wish it was possible for SYNC to use other SD cards such as GARMIN, TOM TOM, or Magellan

Wish it was possible for SYNC to use other SD cards such as GARMIN, TOM TOM, or Magellan

Nice wish, but unlikely. They'd have to add APIs for each, and from what I can tell they have issues with the one they have in place.

Nice wish, but unlikely. They'd have to add APIs for each, and from what I can tell they have issues with the one they have in place.

We can dream can't we? :)

As much as I defend the new Explorer, I do agree that the NAV does suck. After using a Garmin for many years, factory units from any Carmaker are lacking.
Ford's unit is inexcusably slow, and the POI's available are worthless. If you want to set a destination, you better know the address, because if you are looking for a Pet Store, or a Mercedes dealer, for example, it wont be in the database. Only Ford Dealers come up under Automotive! To be fair, it has been fine on the trips I've taken, so it will get you from point A to B, you just can't look up a restaurant or store along the way.
Maybe there will be a fix, but in the mean time will just have to deal with what is there.

FORD GET A BETTER IDEA AND US GARMIN MAPS ONLY.

Telenav map data and POI must have came over by the Mayflower. Perhaps they used the Lewis and Clark map data.

I too have used the Garmin for many years and find that it is much more accurate. I use both when I travel and rely on the Garmin. Is the Garmin perfect, NO, but better then Telenav and any GPS that uses the Telenav map data.

At least Garmin is trying to keep their map data current by offering updates for older units (most have a fees) or free to some of their latest models.

Get behind the technology and keep it current. Don't do anything less then 12 channel and sensitive GPS receivers. All GPS receivers are not built the same. That why the manufactures publish Specifications sheets but does the users test the receivers to verify the specifications?

I agree about the crummy map data- there really should be an update available- either free or very low-cost. Navigation is not navigation if it can't get me to my destination without assistance at 1:00 in the morning.

Just went to thier web site and I see and agree with the comments, it is way off. My home was built in 2008, and although it shows the street, the house pins several houses away in the middle of the street. So it gets you close, but by no means is it right on... sort of sucks when you think about it, and now that I recall my 09 Edge does the same, never really spot on!

Just went to thier web site and I see and agree with the comments, it is way off. My home was built in 2008, and although it shows the street, the house pins several houses away in the middle of the street. So it gets you close, but by no means is it right on... sort of sucks when you think about it, and now that I recall my 09 Edge does the same, never really spot on!

Bingo!

Google Maps does that with our address too. My real complaint is the destination plus routing. The last time I used it on a vacation trip we were going through some ugly parts of downtown Toldeo trying to get to Ann Arbor area- pretty disapppointing routing. Another time it was taking us to a restaurant- that wasn't there. We failed to find it- but I can accept that the place went out of business or burned to the ground (we never did see the building at the indicated location). And the traffic warning information is fairly useless. Not one of the 30 or so traffic warnings on our route turned out to be more than a minor slowdown. Can you cry "Wolf!"?

I was wondering what navigation system ford has been using the last several years in the explorer and edge vehicles. How did this system work ? Were people satisfied with it? Is the one they are using in the 2011 vehicles that much different. Seem like they have had several years to work any bugs out of the system if it is the same.

I was wondering what navigation system ford has been using the last several years in the explorer and edge vehicles. How did this system work ? Were people satisfied with it? Is the one they are using in the 2011 vehicles that much different. Seem like they have had several years to work any bugs out of the system if it is the same.

I believe that Ford started using Telenav in 2010 - I think they used Navteq previously?

Telenav sucks in general, even their apps (iPhone etc) suck. Surprised Ford used them, plenty of people you can find post online about how non-accurate their systems are. Why in the world didn't Ford use Garmin? Garmin GPS systems in the Chrysler line is nice. I didn't know the Ford system was Telenav, I just thought it had some glitches they were working out as it's always giving wrong directions or end points, like someone else said pointing to an intersection or street as if a house or location you were trying to go is there.

2 Experiences, 1) going to NC and driving around google maps was far better on the phone then the Nav unit in the Ex. 2) Down in Miami a place we were going to showed the end location right on the turn of a street. Obviously we turned and it wasn't there, drove around a bit confused, finally checked map on my iPhone and low and behold the place we were going to was like another 5 blocks down the road and then a series of turns. Ford Nav = fail

I had factory Nav in my 2005 Aviator. It was clunky and chose some pretty odd routings, but it worked. I still used my TomTom most of the time, though. Not sure if the later ones were any better - IIRC there was a new system after 07?

I don't have my 2012 Ex yet to compare with, but I'm dreading the nav after reading all of this ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You and me both Jimmy-B, I went to the Telenav site, OMG, I showed this site to our GIS folks were I work, and they kind of chuckled, they stated the GIS maps were tons better. ((GIS) Geological Information System), used for parcel searchs, plots, over view of cities, directions, etc.. Has anyone researched the company itself, see what is in the future, it might give us some insite??

Back