navigation system on limited a real disapointment | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

navigation system on limited a real disapointment

You and me both Jimmy-B, I went to the Telenav site, OMG, I showed this site to our GIS folks were I work, and they kind of chuckled, they stated the GIS maps were tons better. ((GIS) Geological Information System), used for parcel searchs, plots, over view of cities, directions, etc.. Has anyone researched the company itself, see what is in the future, it might give us some insite??
Their products have always sucked so I wouldn't expect anymore from them. Now I know why the Nav unit is off so many times, why Ford used Telenav is beyond me, chk my experience above. Just use google maps on your phone, never had one trouble with that lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that Ford started using Telenav in 2010 - I think they used Navteq previously?

My 2009 uses Navteq. So far my experience is that the maps in the 2011 are better. Neither one is great though.

Yeah today it could not find 6570 but found 6569. Buildings are next to one another and been there for atleast 5 years. What a pointless system if you to play this game to navigate to a POI

I see a comment on Telenav's site by a user suggesting that Telenav should update users from the 2010 maps, and Telenav stating that Ford is responsible for the map rollouts.

Cory or IVT Team? Any chance you might know what version of maps we are actually on and/or when they might be updated? Poor navigation has been a continuous theme in the forums.

Thanks

Currently, there is only one map version for the MFT systems. Vehicles with the Next Generation Navigation systems (i.e. 2010) get updates through NAVTEQ via DVD. An update will not be available until early next year for the MFT navigation.

Rebecca

DVD???? Don't we have SD cards in our Ex?

Agree

I agree with all the Nav Comments. The system is pretty bad. Most newer generation cars now use a toggle/joystick type of setup in addition to the voice commands. This way you don't need to constantly reach to the dash and futz with pressing the screen (while driving). Prior to my 2011 Ex I had Acura MDX's. Their Nav was great. Can do everything while driving. Didn't have to touch the screen and it was pretty accurate too. With a multifunction joystick you can move around the screen to visually find something on the map, or move back and forth through menus pretty easily. The only thing I do now is either find the address on my computer and send it to the car (works pretty good) or the iSync system sometimes finds POI's better then the Nav and will send the address to the Nav system too.

Tony

I have a just delivered 2011 Limited with Nav.

I pretty much knew any NAV from Detroit would suck but wanted the big screen for backup camera and NAV for resale value.

How do I find out what version I have? In the info screen I found, there was no number resembling 2.08, 2.11, etc.

thanks.

How do I find out what version I have? In the info screen I found, there was no number resembling 2.08, 2.11, etc.

thanks.

Do you want to know what version of maps/SD card you have or your version of MyFord Touch software?

You can go on to SYNCMyRide.com and click on Update & Customize. On the right hand side of the screen, you will see what version of MFT software you have. Or you can send me a private message with your VIN and I will be able to look it up for you.

As far as what version SD card/maps you have, everyone has the first version. There have been no updated maps released for the MFT navigation systems.

Rebecca

Will the 2012s have newer card update, if not, is being addressed?

As far as what version SD card/maps you have, everyone has the first version. There have been no updated maps released for the MFT navigation systems.
Not that you would be authorized to admit it, but I still have to ask the question: "Does the Ford IVT realize there are serious limitations in function and map data with the factory nav?"

I laughed at the $795 price, knew it would not let me input destinations or make changes on the go, and have had no good experience with Telenav map data - so I passed on the factory system.

I bought a Garmin wide screen with lifetime map updates and traffic data for under $200. Not nearly as big or integrated as MFT, but given all the other MFT integration problems, a much better solution to navigation: Fast, easy to use, accurate. :thumbsup:

Not that you would be authorized to admit it, but I still have to ask the question: "Does the Ford IVT realize there are serious limitations in function and map data with the factory nav?"

I laughed at the $795 price, knew it would not let me input destinations or make changes on the go, and have had no good experience with Telenav map data - so I passed on the factory system.

I bought a Garmin wide screen with lifetime map updates and traffic data for under $200. Not nearly as big or integrated as MFT, but given all the other MFT integration problems, a much better solution to navigation: Fast, easy to use, accurate. :thumbsup:

I agree, FORD GET A BETTER IDEA and go with Garmin. Not saying Garmin is perfect but it gets me where I want to go most of the time and can depend on it.

Telenav data is old/incorrect and don't see how any Emergency Management Agency can rely on the address info when responding to a call. Telenav needs to incorporate the 911 data base into their map data.

I wonder if other GPS brands that use Telenav map data have the same problem?

Not sure but I thank TomTom is one of them?

The Telenav system is TERRIBLE.

The wife tried to get to a co-workers house for a baby shower the other evening. The co-worker lives on a street that has existed for 10 years or more. Wouldn't let her enter the street address.

She called me, and I looked it up on my Droid and talked her through the step by step directions.

I just went to the Telenav site. The street is clearly identified on the map when I zoomed into it. I then tried a 'Search' for the address. Two different times, it took me to unrelated addresses using some type of algorithm based on a phonetic match. WRONG.

Guess we'll have to put the Garmin Nuvi in the glovebox. It looks cool, but what a waste of $800.

With all of the problems being reported on this site and at the dealers, what is FORD doing to reassure owners of the new Explorers (2011 - 2012) that the problems will be addressed and corrections will be provided in a timely manner. I love the operation of my 2011 Limited Explorer except for the main feature I wanted which is the MFT and the NAV. I have read of all the problems and I have experienced first hand the problems. Most of the issues are ongoing for over 8 months with practically all of the new Explorers. It is very frustrating for me and others to have spent so much money on a vehicle only to have so many recurring problems. Most of the complaints are not isolated to a few vehicles nor are the problems limited in scope. With that in mind I would think customer relations at FORD would be proactive and address the problems with each of the owners directly by outlining what is being done to correct problems and/or what upgrades may have to be forthcoming. The alternative is to leave customers thinking they are being ignored and that we are left to discover fixes on our own.

+1

Agree with this, wish we would hear their thoughts on our problems. Certainly appreciate the Reps we have here but they probably can not answer this. :(

I cant believe either that ford has not responded to all these complaints on this forum and also from their dealers. I am sure the dealers are frustrated with so many people bringing there explorers in for service complaints on MFT and navigation. The ford sync owner support web site is a joke also. The Community section which allows customers to voice questions and issues are filled with messages from people complaining about MFT and navigation system. There is no response from ford on any of these issues on this web site either.

They need to get there head out of there ass and let there customers know when and iff there will be some correction to these issues. I just cant believe they would be ignorant enough to do nothing. There is nothing worse than unhappy customers and poor reviews by national auto publications to kill sales projections.

I cant believe either that ford has not responded to all these complaints on this forum and also from their dealers. I am sure the dealers are frustrated with so many people bringing there explorers in for service complaints on MFT and navigation. The ford sync owner support web site is a joke also. The Community section which allows customers to voice questions and issues are filled with messages from people complaining about MFT and navigation system. There is no response from ford on any of these issues on this web site either.

They need to get there head out of there ass and let there customers know when and iff there will be some correction to these issues. I just cant believe they would be ignorant enough to do nothing. There is nothing worse than unhappy customers and poor reviews by national auto publications to kill sales projections.

Well, what would get their attention might be a letter detailing these issues signed by many, many, explorer owners which is also copied to Motortrend and other magazines. That and a class action suit.

Well, what would get their attention might be a letter detailing these issues signed by many, many, explorer owners which is also copied to Motortrend and other magazines. That and a class action suit.

Agree about the letters. I would like my money back for the nav system to tell you the truth, it really sucks and is not worth $200 in my opinion.:rolleyes:

I agree with everyone's comments. I will just report the issues everytime my X is in the shop for documentation purposes. Anyone know if this is something that could be a lemon law issue since it can not be repaired?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just purchased a 2011 Limited this weekend. I agree the Nav system leaves much to be desired. I actually like the Nav in my wife's Honda Pilot better - sure it doesn't look as slick but it sure works better and the passenger can input while driving. In fact, I like my portable Garmin 255 better than the Ford system.

Back