Neat little upgrades / accessories | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neat little upgrades / accessories

luc

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4WD
2016 XLT 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very cool! I might have to order them :)

Did this day one.. Love it much tidier overall.

If only all upgrades were this easy and inexpensive.

If you have more suggestions like this, keep them coming.

I bought a cover off ebay and put it over my 3rd row seating switches so they did not get bumped accidentally and crush a pet or people or anything else.. I saw all kinds of ideas for this SURELY POTENTIALLY serious issue.. ( not kidding) and this was easiest and best in my opinion. no nonsense easy fix. this was the cover I used.. cleans up look also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Car-Tru...s-2013-2016-/252556290552?hash=item3acd8729f8

After the car stranded me. I had parked, cycled the moon roof a couple of times, cycled the power folding rear seats a couple of times, and listened to the stereo for 2 hours. It did not occur to me that this would drain the battery to critical levels, but when I tried to start it, all I got was solenoid clicks. This with no prior indication of any problem with the battery.

My conclusion is that the battery is not nearly as powerful as I had thought, and that the power actuators use more juice than I had imagined. So I picked up a couple of accessories.

One is a little voltmeter that fits into the cigarette lighter socket. They're available on ebay for a few bucks. Power drain is minimal, and power to the socket shuts off automatically after about 10 minutes anyway.

http://imgur.com/M0e8q7W
6FsXV
http://imgur.com/y3vSGNP

With all the electronics on this car, I think Ford should have included a voltmeter among the factory instrumentation. But this is an easy way to add it.

The other thing I now carry is this:

6FsXV
http://imgur.com/a/6FsXV

It's not light and it's not cheap (about $130), but it does have enough power to start even a 3500cc engine. Peace of mind.

And, I don't understand how to make pics show up here. Sorry to be clumsy.

So you had your car in accessory mode for 2 hours without the engine running? I'm surprised the car wouldn't warn you before it's too late or auto shut off.

Many dashcams now have a built in voltage detector for auto shutoff for the types that are hardwired to your constant power for parking surveillance mode. I could tell my wife's battery was on it's last legs because the voltage shutoff engaged seconds after turning off the car. I know it's not the same thing, but its a great "tell".

Btw, a typical car battery (don't know what they are for our stock car), has about 1000 watt hours of juice, and that doesn't even take into account that you need about 50% charge in order to start the car. These stereo's alone are either 380W or 500W, even though it won't use all of that. So basically yeah, the stereo could kill the battery in a couple hours.

No, most of the time accessory mode was off. I think the radio was a minor factor in draining the battery. There's no way it draws 500w at any volume setting you can stand. I believe the drain came mostly from using the electric actuators. If I don't use them, I'm able to listen to the radio for a couple of hours with no problems, and the voltmeter doesn't drop below about 11.5v. I'm not sure what is the minimum level needed to start the car, but I guess I'll gain experience on that. And yes, I'm a little surprised that Ford did not incorporate a limiter in the circuit that would inform the user that the battery is getting critically low. Also what would have been nice is a gentle reminder when you park the car for the night that you've left the moon roof open :D but that's another thread.

Are you sure accessory mode wasn't on? When you turn off the car, it'll play the stereo until you either open the door or wait about 5 minutes, and then it turns off automatically. Also you need accessory mode to power the sunroof.

Roadside assistance is good for 5years.:)

If i'm in the vehicle, engine off, radio on, the radio stays on for about 15 minutes. Then it shuts off automatically.

If i'm in the vehicle, engine off, radio on, the radio stays on for about 15 minutes. Then it shuts off automatically.
From your Owner's Manual;

Note: Your system is equipped with a feature that allows you to access
and control audio features for 30 minutes after you switch the ignition
off (and no doors open).

When using the radio control to turn it on, I've had it play for almost 45 minutes with the ignition OFF. I believe it is called 'Extended Play'.

Peter

My 2013 has a low battery safety feature. If I have the key in acc or on. If I listen to the radio and/or have the fan running too long it will shut everything down and show "low battery shutdown" on the dash. Leaves plenty of power to start engine.

You need accessory mode to cycle the moonroof or the windows, but otherwise I keep it off. With accessory off, the radio will play for 30 minutes at a time. I wonder why they had the low-battery shutoff in 2013 but not in 2017.

Oh.. and Ford roadside assistance? Yeah, I tried that. It took a long time to connect, then the rep needed my vehicle i.d., then came back on and said he only did trucks like the F350's and he would connect me to another number, which never picked up. I gave up and called AAA instead, which immediately sent help. I hope I never actually have to depend on Ford roadside assistance.

You need accessory mode to cycle the moonroof or the windows, but otherwise I keep it off. With accessory off, the radio will play for 30 minutes at a time. I wonder why they had the low-battery shutoff in 2013 but not in 2017.

Oh.. and Ford roadside assistance? Yeah, I tried that. It took a long time to connect, then the rep needed my vehicle i.d., then came back on and said he only did trucks like the F350's and he would connect me to another number, which never picked up. I gave up and called AAA instead, which immediately sent help. I hope I never actually have to depend on Ford roadside assistance.
The 2017 has the following message that should pop up on the Information Display;
Low Battery Features Temporarily Turned Off
see page 116 of the Owner's Guide, 3rd print.

Peter

The 2017 has the following message that should pop up on the Information Display;
Low Battery Features Temporarily Turned Off
see page 116 of the Owner's Guide, 3rd print.

Peter

That's more like it. Wonder why I didn't get that message. Maybe I was busy playing with the power folding seats :D In any case, it allowed the battery to run down too far to start the car, and that's why I now carry the jumper battery, because I don't want to have to worry about it.

One if the first things that I always place into a vehicle that I purchase are a set of jumper cables. You just never know when you are going to need them either for yourself or someone else.

https://www.amazon.com/Vesul-Storag...1499461057&sr=8-2&keywords=Vesul+door+pockets

Vesul Front Row Door Side Storage Box Handle Armrest Phone Container For Ford Explorer 2016 2017

Can ONLY Fit For Ford Explorer 2016 2017,check your car before purchase
A set of 2pcs for front row left and right
Direct fit,no modification needed.When installing,the foam pad faces the interior,the deeper side faces the back,the shallower side faces the hood.
A great way to store your card,phone and pocket money
Keep your armrest storage in a more organized shape

Earlier years:
https://www.amazon.com/Vesul-Storag...1499461057&sr=8-1&keywords=Vesul+door+pockets

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

https://www.amazon.com/Vesul-Storag...1499461057&sr=8-2&keywords=Vesul+door+pockets

Vesul Front Row Door Side Storage Box Handle Armrest Phone Container For Ford Explorer 2016 2017

Can ONLY Fit For Ford Explorer 2016 2017,check your car before purchase
A set of 2pcs for front row left and right
Direct fit,no modification needed.When installing,the foam pad faces the interior,the deeper side faces the back,the shallower side faces the hood.
A great way to store your card,phone and pocket money
Keep your armrest storage in a more organized shape

Earlier years:
https://www.amazon.com/Vesul-Storag...1499461057&sr=8-1&keywords=Vesul+door+pockets

Hey, there's a couple comments from people saying it won't fit 2016 ford explorer..can you confirm please

Back