Need advice on new Sport Purchase | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on new Sport Purchase

So break in period 1000 miles? I guess I should take it easy until then. Anyone here running the Livernois tuner on their 16 yet? I think we may get that in a few months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this fact? I have never heard of a traction control system limiting power just by being on, provided there's no traction issues. Please explain further.

I should have said for the feel of more power. Traction control limits your launch. Also, I am no expert on it, but I believe with it off, it adjusts the torque curve and puts more power to the rear. Either way, it is definitely a quicker vehicle with it off. And then even more so in sand mode (no high gear tho)

So break in period 1000 miles? I guess I should take it easy until then. Anyone here running the Livernois tuner on their 16 yet? I think we may get that in a few months.

Break in is 1000 miles. Everyone has their own opinions on this, but during that time I varied my speeds to better set the rings. Also, get to about 70 and let off the throttle completely to about 40 a couple times to get oil over the heads. As soon as I hit 1500 miles or so, I gave it it's first oil change and started running high quality full synthetic oil in there, most conducive to the high temps/pressures the ecoboost creates. Everyone has their opinions, but I run Pennzoil Platinum, which has more anti wear additives better suited for high pressure motors like the EB. I also run nothing but top tier fuels.

You will get more information on the tuner in the modified's section. I have been tempted, but have not proceeded because, frankly, I have been more than happy with the power thus far. Some have also said the EB gets stronger over time. I love this motor.

Break in is 1000 miles. Everyone has their own opinions on this, but during that time I varied my speeds to better set the rings. Also, get to about 70 and let off the throttle completely to about 40 a couple times to get oil over the heads. As soon as I hit 1500 miles or so, I gave it it's first oil change and started running high quality full synthetic oil in there, most conducive to the high temps/pressures the ecoboost creates. Everyone has their opinions, but I run Pennzoil Platinum, which has more anti wear additives better suited for high pressure motors like the EB. I also run nothing but top tier fuels.

You will get more information on the tuner in the modified's section. I have been tempted, but have not proceeded because, frankly, I have been more than happy with the power thus far. Some have also said the EB gets stronger over time. I love this motor.

Cool thanks for the info! I may check out the Pennzoil Platinum, I typically run Mobile 1 fully symthetic oil also. I will check out the Modified section. I think i'll need to add the Livernois to keep me happy, it;s quick but I'd like a little more power and for $600 it's a steal of a deal. I can;t believe the #'s they are pulling with that tuner.

I had a Predator tuner and CAI on my SRT8 and together I think I only picked up maybe 40hp/TQ.

Cool thanks for the info! I may check out the Pennzoil Platinum, I typically run Mobile 1 fully symthetic oil also. I will check out the Modified section. I think i'll need to add the Livernois to keep me happy, it;s quick but I'd like a little more power and for $600 it's a steal of a deal. I can;t believe the #'s they are pulling with that tuner.

I had a Predator tuner and CAI on my SRT8 and together I think I only picked up maybe 40hp/TQ.

You will get so much more power from a tuner on a boosted application. The waste gates are computer controlled so they can hold them closed longer and build more boost. They can't give a ton more peak power because of the size of the turbos and the fuel system, but they bump the torque way the hell up from 2k and up. Crazy increases. I plan to try out SSI (Southern Speed Inc). A guy I drag race with has their tune in his F150 3.5EB and he loves them. He started out running 14.5 and now he is running 12.59 @ 105mph with just the tune. That is crazy fast for a 4wd extended cab pickup. He has been using them since the first EB F150 came out. He just upgraded to the 2015 and went back to SSI's tune. He leaves the line with all 4 tires spinning. I don't want a tune that aggressive in the Ex, but getting it to run a mid 13 would be cool. Hell, even a high 13 with better drivability would be great. I was thinking about asking for an 87 street tune, 91 street tune, and a 91 performance tune. I figure if I ask for an 87 tune I will still run 91 in it but the tune won't be so aggressive so it shouldn't hurt anything. I would run the 91 at the track if my wife will let me borrow it occasionally when the Stang is laid up, like it is now. I guess I need to get the Explorer first! I am hoping the tune will be more aggressive with sending power to the rear wheels. I think that will improve the driving experience coming out of corners under throttle. I know it isn't a sports car but it will probably handle better than how my Foxbody Mustang started out. LOL.

FYI, I have heard that the turbos and fuel system are smaller for the transverse mounted versions of the 3.5EB, so the Ex can't put out as much power from a tune as the F150's. Even a "moddest" 50rwtq increase will really be felt in the seat of the pants. I am a little nervous about voiding the warranty though. I think I might wait 6mo or so to make sure that I find any early issue before I tune it.

I have a 2015 Sport (new end of August) with K&N Filter, Magnaflow exhaust, Diablo Trinity tuner.( added 70hp and 70 FPT. My truck just performs.. it just runs. off the line and high end. one of my friends said recently this thing never quits pulling even at high speed.
The vehicle performed without the tune but with the tune it is amazing. A friend who has a stable of german cars is even impressed.. NO it is not a porsche or Audi,or benz (nor was it $30k more) but it performs and is more than I expected from it. I don't think you'd be sorry even considering your stable.

Back