Need Clarification for Engaging 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Clarification for Engaging 4x4

Altaman

Reaction score
Hi All: I'm going sking this holiday, heading right into the storm. This will be the first use of the 4x4. I'm a little uncertian of the process for engaging the 4x4. Mine is '92 5 speed w/ push button engagement:

The owners manual says just push the 4x4 to engage. Is this correct? Do I need to put the cluch in? Is it better to stop to shift into 4x4?
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can shift on the fly into 4H....up to 55mph or so...to shift into 4 low, vehicle must be stopped, in nuetral...push 4H button first, then 4L
On a side note....you may want to test your 4WD before getting inot any snowstorms.

Can I assume you still have the stock auto hubs? Even though the manual says you can shift from 2H to 4H while moving (hubs unlocked), above a certain speed (can't remember exactly) it made quite a clunk as the transfer case and hubs engaged. As weak as the auto hubs are, I dont expect that kind of sudden engagement under power is good for them. When the hubs weren't locked, I'd slow down (<20 mph, pull out of traffic if needed), then shift into 4H, then resume. Once the hubs are locked, you can shift from 2H to 4H without any concern.

No, as long as you remember that and don't end up trying to drive in 4H on dry pavement

Can I assume you still have the stock auto hubs? Even though the manual says you can shift from 2H to 4H while moving (hubs unlocked), above a certain speed (can't remember exactly) it made quite a clunk as the transfer case and hubs engaged. As weak as the auto hubs are, I dont expect that kind of sudden engagement under power is good for them. When the hubs weren't locked, I'd slow down (<20 mph, pull out of traffic if needed), then shift into 4H, then resume. Once the hubs are locked, you can shift from 2H to 4H without any concern.

Ditto--under 20 mph, then push the button for 4H and you should both hear and feel the hubs engage. Don't forget, to unlock automatic hubs you need to stop and back up for about thirty feet.

And if you're headed for snow country, get a tow strap at a good 4wd shop, that is rated for 20,000 lbs and doesn't have hooks on it! You will also want a snow shovel, a digging shovel and a bag of kitty litter for traction if you get stuck. The snow shovel is for shoveling out behind you after a plow has buried your parking spot overnight. The digging shovel is for if you get stuck. The tow strap is for if you get lucky and find some kind soul who is willing to pull you out if you get stuck.

Hey, I work and travel in Tahoe all year around....you learn these things!!

Back