• Register Today It's free!

Need Exhaust Advice

jonnyuoit

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
So I went to a few performance and muffler shops in my area over the past week and I'm trying to make a decision on an exhaust setup. (FYI, my Explorer is a v6 4.0 SOHC)

Going in I was going to have a single in/dual out Flowmaster 40 series muffler installed on the stock tubing, but I had two suggestions to install a custom system (not true dual, but 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipes throughout turning into dual) to increase HP. The guy at the shop said that swapping just the muffler would have no effect on power, but I'm really only going for sound.

I got a quote for the whole setup (2.5" pipes, "generic" muffler) for about 300 more then it would have cost me for just the Flowmaster.

I want some opinions on what I should go with... Like I said, I don't care much about power increases (although it doesn't hurt), but would the whole system sound noticeably better if I went with that rather than just the Flowmaster muffler?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 5.0 v8 i cut the muffler and res off and it goes vrooooom very loud, now imagine without he 4 cats i have

my 5.0 v8 i cut the muffler and res off and it goes vrooooom very loud, now imagine without he 4 cats i have

Dude, what? Anyway

300 bucks in labor to just cut out the stock muffler, replace it with a generic, and have a tailpipe bent is a bit steep. With the 4.0 motors, I suggest you stick with a single 2.5" out pipe to save your low end torque. Trust me, dual outs will kill it.

The SOHC will require a dual in muffler unless you get yourself a Y pipe which will convert the stock 2 pipes into one single one, giving you more muffler options. I would get yourself the following Y pipe below, a muffler of your choice that is offset in/single out, and get a custom 2.5" pipe welded in and finish it off with a nice tip.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE-10758&N=700+115&autoview=sku
^This is the Y pipe you need. Stock piping is 2", but that Y pipe says 2.25". The reason I did this is because when you cut the stock muffler off, the pipes will go into the Y pipe at an angle, which causes the need for the play room. The gaps will be easily welded shut if need be

The following is an example muffler of what you would need to buy if you went with the Y pipe above

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...791974+4294906122+4294906130+115&autoview=sku

Granted, you can find that muffler much cheaper on amazon (free shipping over $75 if you buy from them). Check it out.

My setup

I spent a little over $100 on my setup, I got a 2 1/4" in 2 1/2" out Y-pipe from Magnaflow, I think I got it from Summit. And a Magnaflow single in/out 2 1/2" and a turndown, welded it all except the turndown and it seems to do pretty well, just be careful with the welder, my brother's was up too high and burned a small hole. With clamps and parts/shipping, came to about $100, definitely a decent price compared to the shops, just no tailpipe as of yet, but that's ok, won't pinch it if I ever get to go on a trail.

After researching all I could, I've pretty much decided on the American Thunder series 40 from Flowmaster. I've watch ALOT of exhaust vids on youtube and talked to a bunch of guys and from what I've seen and heard, on my SOHC 4.0 this will be the best overall when it comes to sound.

Hope you find what makes you happy. Good luck and Good hunting.

I have 2.5" from the cats back into a dual in single out Hooker Aerochamber. I really like it a lot, but if i had to do it over I would get a resonator to put in there. It drones a little from about 2000 to 2500 rpm, depending on engine load. do some searches on youtube for exhaust clips. You will find thousands. I had mine bent and welded up for 200, plus whatever i paid for the muffler on summit. Do some research and find something that YOU like. This is one of those things where everyone has an opinion, you can learn a lot from other people, but at the end of the day its your truck and your money.

Back