Need Help: 97 4.0 control trac transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help: 97 4.0 control trac transfer case

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xl
Posted in the 95-01 section, but not much in the way of responses - sorry for cross posting.

My x has been off the road for 60 days and I need it back. Having trouble figuring out course of action.

My 97 transfer case is shot, internals broken and case cracked. I'm confused on what to get for a replacement.

Swap From 1997:
How do I tell what transfer case I need? I'm searching on car-parts.com and there are 3 different models for electrically switched transfer cases; which one is the right one?
- ID F57A-7A195-CA
- ID F67A-7A195-RA
- ID F77A-7A195-GA

Swap From 1996:
A seller is telling me that the 1996 tc will work with some modifications; swap the 1997 shift motor into it, and the driveshaft flange. True?

Swap From 1998 forward:
I read a post (link below) that describes making a hybrid that works from a 1997 unit and later years unit. Anyone have a detailed writeup on this?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142207&highlight=governor

Guys any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated... I'm getting frustrated :(

Rod

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "GA" is what you need for your '97:

tcase4405tag_97model.jpg

Ok, thanks for clarifying which one I need for a direct 1997 swap. Where on the transfer case would I find the model number with the GA designation? Is the tag you've pictured attached to the tc?

In the event I cannot locate the GA... what are my options for swaps from other years?

I researched the website linked below, and all the parts for the transfer case seem to be the same for 95-99. This seems to point to the ability to swap a tc from another year. If that's the case, what's different about them - can I swap the flange from 1997 to the 1996 TC and the flange from the 1996 Driveshaft to the 1997?

(scroll to Borg Warner 4405 section)
http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercasesparts.html#Borg-Warner 4405

I researched the website linked below, and all the parts for the transfer case seem to be the same for 95-99.

Correction: Everything THEY SELL for those years is the same... that's what they would lead you to believe, but that's not the case.

This seems to point to the ability to swap a tc from another year. If that's the case, what's different about them - can I swap the flange from 1997 to the 1996 TC and the flange from the 1996 Driveshaft to the 1997?

(scroll to Borg Warner 4405 section)
http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercasesparts.html#Borg-Warner 4405

There were a few major differences to the 44-05 during the second-generation run. These are the ones I can remember:
-The 95-96 cases have shaft speed sensors mounted in the case, where the 97-01 cases are missing the rear shaft speed sensor. You can use the rear case half from a 95-96 on the front half from a 97-01, but not the other way around. (I think IZWack did it??) IIRC, you *should* also be able to swap a case from a 95-96 into a 98-01, but NOT a 97.
-The 95-96 front output shaft was different than the 97, which was different than the 98-01. IIRC, the driveshaft from a 95-96 and 97-01 will interchange, but the 97 will not.

In short, if you have a 97 and want a direct bolt-in swap, you need a case from a 97. If you want to do some more scavenging for driveshafts, you could swap almost any of the non-97s into it, but don't quote me on that.

-Joe

I also am in need of another TC for my 97 Explorer. I have located a 4405 T-case from a 99 Ex with the label "XCA". Can any tell me the difference? The front output shaft looks the same as my 97 (the ball/socket type). Is there a speed sensor or shift motor difference between a 97 and 99 T-case? Thanks - Joel

Correction: Everything THEY SELL for those years is the same... that's what they would lead you to believe, but that's not the case.

There were a few major differences to the 44-05 during the second-generation run. These are the ones I can remember:
-The 95-96 cases have shaft speed sensors mounted in the case, where the 97-01 cases are missing the rear shaft speed sensor. You can use the rear case half from a 95-96 on the front half from a 97-01, but not the other way around. (I think IZWack did it??) IIRC, you *should* also be able to swap a case from a 95-96 into a 98-01, but NOT a 97.
-The 95-96 front output shaft was different than the 97, which was different than the 98-01. IIRC, the driveshaft from a 95-96 and 97-01 will interchange, but the 97 will not.

In short, if you have a 97 and want a direct bolt-in swap, you need a case from a 97. If you want to do some more scavenging for driveshafts, you could swap almost any of the non-97s into it, but don't quote me on that.

-Joe

I know I'm getting on your nerves now. I can't take two TC's and made one, as my case is physically cracked.

Can someone please confirm the following:

1. The 1997 4405 has the speed sensor in the Transfer Case.

2. The 1996 4405 has the speed sensor in the Transfer Case.

3. To use the 1996 TC in the 1997 x, I need to do the following:
a) Swap the 1996 driveshaft flange onto the 1997
b) Swap the 1997 shift control motor onto the 1996 transfer case

If there's more, please let me know. If anyone can itemize the donor parts required that would be awesome. I want to make one trip to the seller and get everything I need.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Rod

I know I'm getting on your nerves now. I can't take two TC's and made one, as my case is physically cracked.

Can someone please confirm the following:

1. The 1997 4405 has the speed sensor in the Transfer Case.

2. The 1996 4405 has the speed sensor in the Transfer Case.

3. To use the 1996 TC in the 1997 x, I need to do the following:
a) Swap the 1996 driveshaft flange onto the 1997
b) Swap the 1997 shift control motor onto the 1996 transfer case

If there's more, please let me know. If anyone can itemize the donor parts required that would be awesome. I want to make one trip to the seller and get everything I need.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Rod

Having never worked on one myself, I'll defer to IZWack for the specifics, but from staring at the prints, a few things jumped out.

The front and rear OSS are present on both the 96 and 97 cases.

To use the 96 case in a 97, all you need is the driveshaft out of the 96. The front halves of the case are not the same (the 96 case appears to be bushed, while the 97 case appears to use a bearing to support the front output shaft in the front of the case). It's not a matter of swapping flanger as far as I can tell.

-Joe

Thanks Joe.

I'm going to pick up the 96 case and the front driveshaft. Will swap the 97 shift motor into the 96, swap the 96 driveshaft into the 97 x and hope for the best.

Wish me luck! If anyone else has any words of wisdom, advice, or other parts I should be on the look out for let me know!

Rod

I doubt you'll need to swap the motors... as far as I can tell, they're functionally identical.

The two years had different settings on the dash, although I don't know all the inner workings of it.

'97-'01 switch says, 4auto, 4high, 4low
'95-'96 Switch says, 2WD, 4auto, 4 low

Are the shift motors the same for both, but controlled differently by a module in the truck? Perhaps I should install, do the brown wire mod, and leave it in 2wd?

The two years had different settings on the dash, although I don't know all the inner workings of it.

'97-'01 switch says, 4auto, 4high, 4low
'95-'96 Switch says, 2WD, 4auto, 4 low

Are the shift motors the same for both, but controlled differently by a module in the truck? Perhaps I should install, do the brown wire mod, and leave it in 2wd?

I have a 1995 explorer xlt and the switch says 4auto,4high,4low:)

I picked up the recently rebuilt 1996 BW 4405 5CA to replace the 4405 7GA that was in my 1997. Also have the front driveshaft from the 1996 to swap into the 1997.

Are the shift motors identical on these two units?
No need to swap the shift motor from the 1997 into the 1996?
Will the GEM in my 97 x will control the shift motor appropriately?

Let the games begin.

Mission Accomplished: 96 BW4405 CA --> 97 BW4405 GA

Mission accomplished! Swapped BW4405 CA into 1997 that previously had the 4405 GA.

The CA has a different front driveshaft hookup. GA uses a ball / socket style whereas the CA is straight bolt up. Therefore there are two choices... swap the front driveshaft flange or swap the front driveshaft itself. I elected to swap the driveshaft as it was a lot easier; I had to pull it anyway to get the old GA transfer case out.

One thing, the bolts used to attach the 1997 front driveshaft to the GA transfer case do not work to attach the 1996 driveshaft to the CA transfer case. When you get the donor parts, make sure you get the bolts too. (I bought new ones).

Also, for the newbies like myself...to get the top 2 bolts out of the transfer case, there is an access panel on the top of the transmission tunnel, under the carpet, in front of the front seats. Remove the console and pull carpet back.

I did not swap the shift motor. Everything was plug and play, all electrical connectors fit in the same way.

Parts from 1996:

- BW 4405 CA transfer case
- Front driveshaft

New Parts:

- Paper gasket (between Tranny and Transfer Case)
- 5/16 bolts for front driveshaft to transfer case

Thanks for all the help!

Rod

Mission accomplished! Swapped BW4405 CA into 1997 that previously had the 4405 GA.

The CA has a different front driveshaft hookup. GA uses a ball / socket style whereas the CA is straight bolt up. Therefore there are two choices... swap the front driveshaft flange or swap the front driveshaft itself. I elected to swap the driveshaft as it was a lot easier; I had to pull it anyway to get the old GA transfer case out.

One thing, the bolts used to attach the 1997 front driveshaft to the GA transfer case do not work to attach the 1996 driveshaft to the CA transfer case. When you get the donor parts, make sure you get the bolts too. (I bought new ones).

Also, for the newbies like myself...to get the top 2 bolts out of the transfer case, there is an access panel on the top of the transmission tunnel, under the carpet, in front of the front seats. Remove the console and pull carpet back.

I did not swap the shift motor. Everything was plug and play, all electrical connectors fit in the same way.

Parts from 1996:

- BW 4405 CA transfer case
- Front driveshaft

New Parts:

- Paper gasket (between Tranny and Transfer Case)
- 5/16 bolts for front driveshaft to transfer case

Thanks for all the help!

Rod

[MENTION=65332]talltorontoguy[/MENTION]

I'm running into this exact same situation. I know the post is old and I apologize but I'm assuming if I get a front drive shaft similar (or exact) to a 65-9623 that it'll bolt up as you suggested?

Back