• Register Today It's free!

need help antifreeze leak

tyler sexton

Reaction score
City, State
lexington mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
i have a 2005 ford explorer with a antifreeze leak noticed it smoking on the way home from wrok parked it at a friends house and filled the antifreeze tank up again to get it home and noticed a puddle in my drive way where should i start looking for possible leaks???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radiator is the best place to start, then follow the hose's for loose connections, cracks, splits, etc.

should i fill it up with water and let it run to look for leaks better or no??

check your intake manifold. Famous for cracking. Look for a puddle under your thermostat housing.

and check the thermostat housing while there too. they are plastic and known to crack.

The thermostat housing is infamous for leaking with 02-10 Ford Explorer models. But it sounds like it might be something else if the leak is that big. Get a flashlight and get under your car to look for that leak. You should find it. You can also use a pressure gun and pressurize the radiator resevoir and hear the leak. But I would just do a flashlight test and see where it's coming from. That would be the first thing I would do.

Back