Need help Bypassing stock amplifier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help Bypassing stock amplifier

famouz73

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Hi everyone, quick question:
I have a 98 Sport and I want to upgrade the head unit and also install an amp and a subwoofer in the back. Ive been reading through the forum and found out that some people have an external amplifier that need to be bypassed to install the new head unit. As far as i know i dont have a stock sub, so i thought i didnt have an external amp, but today i removed the little cargo net compartment in the right rear panel, and it looks like there is an amplifier in there. How can i be sure? and if it is what are the steps or do i need a diffrent wiring harness to bypass it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:):)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest way to tell if you have a factory amp is take the head unit out and find the wires to one speaker. With the ignition off, quickly touch the speaker leads to a battery one on the + the other on the -. If you hear a pop from one of the speakers you don't have an amp. If you do hear a pop, then you do have an amp.

You should be able to get a bypass harness from any stereo shop. Its the easiest way to bypass it than finding out what wires are to what speakers and doing it yourself.

thanks man!! i took off the whole panel in the back off last night and yeah its a little gray colored amplifier back there. Do you know how much that bypass harness should cost, i dont want to get ripped off, im guessing it should be 20 to 30 dollars?

Try my thread... Should apply if you have the amp...

CLICK ME

Check the harness though with Mark's post, the plugs could be different.

sweet!! thanks maniak! ill be picking one of these up at a local shop i just called to verify if they had it 22 dollars! my indash and subs should be installed by next weekend, hopefully sooner if i get a day off of work.:D:D

Joe, that thread is awesome, quick question: so i dont have to mess with anything where the stock amp is? its just wiring up the harness to my new HU and thats it? i will also be installing an aftermarket kenwood amplifier for the sub that im getting, do i have to unplug the stock amplifier or do anything to it?

If you have the right harness, it will just use the factory wiring. I haven't had to mess with any of the amp connections yet on 3 swaps- 95, 97, 00 and all of them used harnesses, the first 2 used the factory plugs and the harness shown...

awesome, i was getting discouraged cause i kept reading on the forum that you have to wire a harness to the amp to bypass it then run wires back up to the head unit, but im going to tackle this as soon as i get the chance and ill let you guys know how it went. Thanks for the help everyone!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Well heres a pic of it at night, THANKS EVERYONE!!:salute:
Indash.jpg

Back