NEED HELP!!! In response to Non-working automatic hubs now work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP!!! In response to Non-working automatic hubs now work

MustangDos

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT / '93 XLT
I'm just posting this as new for any more advise I can get... I already read through and have a good idea what to do...Here is what I said in the post:

I had the same problem w/ mine over the weekend, actually, it's been going on for some time now. The clicking/grinding noise has been with me for months. I figured it was still working, so why bother. Well, I really needed my 4x4 because of all the snow we got. I found myself on a 3 foot drift and was trying to rock my way out. 4wheel low was engaged and I noticed the grinding getting louder, then completely stopped. I got free but noticed that I wasn't really getting the grip that I normally do. Got home and went to go through another 3 foot drift, got sideways and I was stuck. Front wheels would not spin at all. 4wheel High and Low where lit on the dash, but no action. Neighbors got me out. Parked the truck in my driveway, jacked up it up and was checking everything. With 4wheel high off, the front axle spun free. 4wheel on, it was locked. Only tried the passenger side. Didn't realize they were independent till now. Front drive shaft wouldn't move w/ the truck in drive and in 4wheel high when I tried to turn it manually. It was free in Neutral and 4wheel high off. I replaced the shift motor, found a burnt off wire for Wheel low. Replaced the hubs w/ ones that I had laying around. Still nothing...I'm going to try to clean the hubs when I get home in the am...hope this works...Any other suggestions?!

No grease!!!! just soak em' in tranny fluid overnight, and then let them drain good before you put them back on. While they're soaking, try working the spring in and out to loosen them up.

I have a problem with my auto hubs, i own a 94 limited explorer, the problem seem to be that they dont have a spring, i cleaned them and all but dont seem to have a spring. It belonged to my father and he told me that he tooked it to brakes service and saw that the 4x4 was engaged, so he returned to the brake shop and later on went to pick it ip. I believe that they removed the springs at that time, my father never realized that because he never used the 4x4. Now the xplor is mine i have that proble, any idea how can i get those spings? thanks for your comments!!

Perhaps from Warn? I can't remember if they made those hubs or not. I'd look at a pull n save junk yard for replacement hubs.

Back