need help on 2003 XLT

pacificblue

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
need help on 2003 XLT - UPDATE

this is my first ford car, after driving toyotas and volkswagon, i'm getting worried with my choice, cause my 2003 4.0 V6 has only 1,200 miles and whenever i'm at a stop light and the brakes is pressed, the rpm is not steady. The rpms goes up and down as much as 1k rpm without pressing on the gas:confused:. this makes the car jerk when the brake is realeased and not pressing on the gas. i'm going to bring it to the dealer this coming friday, but is this serious? its very uncomfortable at a stop light when the car starts jerking. the only after market parts it has is a CAI. I love my explorer, but need to fix this problem. anyone has any advice?

Thanks

SEE BELOW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is serious you should take it to the doctor(ford) :) but any way yeah. Something is wrong let us know and welcome to Ford:)

Welcome

Is the A/C on when it does this?

i know what your thinking, but no the AC was never on. It feels like when the AC turns on and off. I already made appointment w/ford. i hope it's nothing serious. When I step on the gas, the car runs smooth and strong, it's just when the car is at idle. HELP!

When the A/C is on, mine does somthing like this also. Sometimes it does this when the A/C is off.

It's like a surge of power right?

Im guessing your Ex is still under warranty? Dont let the dealer feed you a bunch of ****, and dont let them rip you off!

Im not sure about the newer Explorers, but on the older ones, the IAC would likely be the cause.

yes, it's like a surge of little power. if my car is in drive and i let off the brake and let the idle move the car wihout stepping on the gas, my car has a slight surge/jerk of power. What is an IAC?

UPDATE

I made an appointment to have the dealer check out my car, but was too lazy to bring it over there. I had to check one thing just to make sure and thats to take off the CAI and put back the stock air box. Guess What! the problem went away! so i'm blaming the CAI for making my engine cough while on park and while on drive and stepping on the brake at a stop. Question: Anyone knows the solution to this problem? i want to put back my CAI and would like the idle to be smooth. I know there is a bunch of you guys that have CAIs out there, PLEASE HELP!

Did you try to disconnect the negative pole for your battery for while to reset your computer? Try this. Disconnect the pole, for like ten min. or so. The time it takes to install the CAI, reconnect it. Take the Ex for a drive nothing rough. Nice easy driving let the Ex ECU make the adjustment it needs to for the CAI. Just a suggestion. :D

ok, i will try this and if this works, you da man!!!

update

ok, i tried disconnecting the battery a few times and it didn't work:( i even disconnected for almost an hour. i know someone in here has a solution, i know a few people in here has CAI in you Xs. so, please help!

thanks

Could be something wrong with your computer.
My explorer, it's not a 2003 but had a similar condition, would, all of a sudden, rev up at a stop and wouldn't stop it until you turned the ignition off. My parents told me of the problem(this was before I could drive). The problem was fixed by the dealership. So, go take it in to the dealership so they can take a look at it and hopefully fix it.

nothings wrong with the computer, cause when i put the stock air box back in, it goes away. only when i install the CAI, the idle stumbles. i don't want to bring it to the dealer with the CAI on:eek:

Well then it sounds like the cai is not feeding the air correctly. The MAF is probably unhappy for some reason. What kinda of cai setup is this?

If the idle is erratic, clean the IAC valve. It's a small silver cylinder by your throttle body (Where the black air intake hose connects to). Disconnect the two bolts and the electrical connector and spray O2 safe carbeurator cleaner through it to clean the gunk out.

Back