need help QUICK, truck stalls from park to drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help QUICK, truck stalls from park to drive

97xxxploder

Reaction score
City, State
central ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer v8 awd
my truck will start up just fine and idle fine. but when i go from park to reverse or park to drive or reverse to drive it will stall out. i dont know what it could be. i pulled p0141 and p0153 codes. it runs and drives great. i normally have to rev it up a little bit and then put it in gear so it wont sall out. it also stalls out when i am coming to a stop and at about 2-3 mph. any help could be great. i am on a tight budget and cant really afford much. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The codes are for the O2 sensors. However, I don't think that would cause the stalling problem. Have you cleaned the throttle body, or the IAC valve?

O2 sensor codes are often caused by other issues and not the O2 sensors themselves. I would clean the IAC valve and the MAF sensor (use the special cleaner, not carb cleaner. Follow the can directions, disconnect power etc so as not to short the MAF sensor). The battery disconnect while cleaning will clear the codes so after cleaning drive it for a week or so (several start/off cycles).

During the week you will see if this solved the problem. If not, read the codes again. If still O2 sensors, you can get them for a wide range of prices. You do tend to get what you pay for but you can weigh this against your present finacial situation and decide. Replacing the O2 sensors is fairly simple but may require a little soak to get the old ones out since you live in Ohio.

I think this is probably an IAC problem. You should get on this soon with winter coming. I used to hate laying on my back in the freezing cold, wind blowing hard, trying to fix some small problem that now was much worse because of the cold.

i have been tryin to check all the small things. my intake looks pretty clean but i guess there could be dirt that i cant see. another thing i was gonna check was my fuel filter but im having a hard time finding it and i have no owners manuals. i wanted to do a tuneup but cannot afford $80+ for plugs and wires.

Fuel filter is under the truck. Trace the fuel line from the gas tank foreward, you'll see the big canister. Easy job but the clips to release the filter often are difficult to disengage. Many people prefer the metal release tools to the plastic ones. Available in auto parts stores for about $5.

Fuel filter is pretty much under the driver's door, tucked in the frame rail.

I second the IAC. I have had a few people come in for the same issue that cleaning the IAC was all they needed. Nice and easy job.

well ive cleaned the maf sensor, ran fuel injector cleaner, heet, and octane booster, flushed the rear differential, and still no luck. when u say to clean the IAC, what is the best way to do that?? it has become a pain to keep it from stalling out.

Two screws to remove the IAC. Clean with INTAKE cleaner. Do NOT use CARBURETOR cleaner. Beware of one thing. The o-ring is likely to start leaking, causing the 'moose call'. They are something like $15.00 at Ford. Not available anywhere else. Use a light coating of silicone to help seal. Works good on mine.

Check for vacumm leaks around the engine compartment

Have you disconnected the battery for over 20 minutes and then taken it back to have codes read after driving it a week or so? Still need to clean the IAC first.

cleaned the iac, had a bunch of nastiness come out and it still stalls. besides that i now have bigger problems. it not shifts spuratically and sometimes doesnt shift. was told it could be a shift solenoid. this true?

Could be the torque convertor is not unlocking. That would be either electrical or a bad valve in the trans that controls fluid flow into the TC to lock/unlock.

Just something else to think about.

Did you get the codes read again after deleating them? Are they still the same? This is likley, but not necessarily, the same issue. Since you have done all the cheaper things, cleaning AIC, MAF, its time to look at hard parts.

In your original post you suggest that it runs fine when cruising down the road. No missing, surging, pinging. No drivability problems except when shifting between park and drive or reverse and drive (it stalls at those times). You also said that when coming to a stop it stalls just before it completely stops. Now you say it is also not shifting. Is this 1-2, 2-3 or between any foreward gears? Does it still go into reverse normally? If it revs to a higher than normal RPM before shifting, does it shift when you let off the gas? Is this an accurate description of your symptoms?

Please make sure you deleate the original codes (either by disconnecting the battery 20+ minutes or with the scanner used to read the codes). You then must drive the vehicle through several start/stop cycles and over several miles. Then have the codes read again and post them here. Codes are read for free at many auto parts stores, you can also borrow the scanner from the parts stores and read them yourself. You will not be able to read transmission codes with this scanner.

The above things are free. I would not spend money on plugs, wires or anything else until I had completed these free things.

well it was driving fine on my way to work and then coming home from work it started acting up. it wont shift sometimes in any gear. sometime it will act like its just the front wheels spinning and not the rear. sometimes it will shift when i let off the gas but not always. sometimes it shifts in and out and in and out, doesnt matter what gear im in. it is very strange.

my truck will start up just fine and idle fine. but when i go from park to reverse or park to drive or reverse to drive it will stall out. i dont know what it could be. i pulled p0141 and p0153 codes. it runs and drives great. i normally have to rev it up a little bit and then put it in gear so it wont sall out. it also stalls out when i am coming to a stop and at about 2-3 mph. any help could be great. i am on a tight budget and cant really afford much. thanks
well it was driving fine on my way to work and then coming home from work it started acting up. it wont shift sometimes in any gear. sometime it will act like its just the front wheels spinning and not the rear. sometimes it will shift when i let off the gas but not always. sometimes it shifts in and out and in and out, doesnt matter what gear im in. it is very strange.
Unplug the plug on the transmission on the passenger side and see what that does for ya

Back