'17 Explorer noise issue when apply brakes if go from park to reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'17 Explorer noise issue when apply brakes if go from park to reverse

WallaceMI

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Hi,
I have a 2017 Ford Explorer 4WD (~70k miles) with the following noise issue when I apply the brakes after I switch from Drive to Reverse (or from Reverse to Drive).

- Noise sounds like a clunk or slightly metallic
- When car was in drive, then in park and then in reverse, car starts rolling, noise occurs only when I apply the brakes
- When car was in reverse, then in park and then in drive, car starts rolling noise occurs only when I apply the brakes
- Afterwards noise doesn’t occur anymore as long I stay in the driving direction (I mainly only hear it when I back out of a parking spot, when I’m in drive afterwards no clunk anymore)
- Noise is already there for longer time (maybe ~1 year)
- Shop recently changed pads and rotors and didn’t see anything wrong
- Noise is more noticeable if I parked on a slope.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? The Explorer makes no other noises and shifts fine. I changed all fluids (diff, trans, PTO) and nothing is leaking

My only explanation is that it could be some worn out suspension bushing that have a little bit of play or maybe the brake pads moving a bit inside the caliper under directional load changes.

I try to record the noise with the GoPro (clunk occurs as soon as I touch the brake pedal)

Back