Need help with 3in body lift on first gen explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 3in body lift on first gen explorer xlt

tylersloan

Reaction score
City, State
Central Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer 4 door
Found a body lift it's a 3in lift includes bumper brackets and steering extender also .
What I'm looking for are picks of first gen explorers with body lifts and tell me what problems you ran in to installing it brake line problems , gas tank filler tub etc.
Also seen I can run 33's with a three inch lift but I want to squeeze 35's for now think I can do it just got to trim the fenders so please share your knowledge and pictures with me thank you .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 3 inch body lift right now in my x. but just so you know you wont get 35's under it. you can maybe get 33's if you have offset rims or run wheal spacers and chances are your going to need to trim the crap out of your fenders. i have 31's and i still end up with rubbing issues at full turn and full flex.

yeah fyi i have 4" susp lift and running 33x12.5s w/ trim and rubbage... there is a how to on a 2nd gen, get you a good idea on how hard and what youll run into on the install

yeah fyi i have 4" susp lift and running 33x12.5s w/ trim and rubbage... there is a how to on a 2nd gen, get you a good idea on how hard and what youll run into on the install

But that's because of the width/off set of your tires/wheels. I have Skyjacker 1.5" coils and 34x10.5's on stock wheels with fender trimming and the only thing I used to rub on were my radius arms (barely) hopefully the new JD arms will fix that (it's in the garage on stands now). I don't have a sway bar though, so I can't comment on rubbing issues there.

I bet you can run 34's no problem if you trim the fenders with just that 3" body lift. The only problem you'll run into installing it is you'll probably have to "modify" the bumper brackets, i.e. use a grinder and reshape them so the bumper can be aligned straight. Sometimes the steering extension can be a pain, but it will eventually slide in. Be sure to do one side of the vehicle, then the other. That keeps the body aligned on the frame correctly.

gotta remember though that suspension lifts of any kind will start to settle down. I have my 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims. if i would go any bigger i would have to modify the bumper because the front of the tires would catch it.

there's a link about what tires and lifts will fit with trimming etc... i think its my useful link in my siggy thatll give you some idea of what size tires vs lift

Back