• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 4x4 issue

Zeekyal

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 navajo
I have a 92 Navajo 4x4 5 speed manual hub conversion auto transfercase 2" lift and 32x11.50r15 my issue is out playing it the woods and mud this past weekend my 2wd is fine 4 low is fine but when in 4 hi it seems like something is binding or something couldn't climb the smallest of hills unless in 4 low it would just smoke the clutch I mean couldnt even get any tire spin in the mud in 4 hi but 4 low and 2wd would be just fine I have never had clutch issues before this and still don't unless in 4 hi can smoke tires all day long in 2wd on the streets even tow my boat with no clutch issues if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's normal, you mention that you put 32-inch wheels, but you do not mention if you also put a new ring and pinion on the differential. Remember that your truck, from the factory, comes with 29-inch tires.

I agree with alfilrey.

Don't think so I should be able to drive in 4 hi with no clutch issues

What's your gear ratio?

Doesn't sound gearing or hub related. Sounds transfer case related. Though if something was slipping in 4H I'd expect some crunchy grindy type noises.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Definitely your tcase.

T case is kind of what I was thinking because it seems like something is bindind but what could or would cause the issue could it be the 4x4 selector motor is not working correctly getting the guess need to go out to junk yard and try to find a munual t case with the linkage and all

Too of the morning fellas. I’m new here just bought myself a 1991 Navajo. I’m trying to go from electronic trade shifter to manual. Surfing around the website is a little tricky, would you guys happen to have a link to an already existing conversation about this topic?

How do you select a new ring and pinion that puts you at the right angles for the new tires and lift? I have the same setup but with a thrumming vibration in time with my speed.

I would say it is a problem with the tcase motor. As for the tires and gears, don't worry about it for now. You won't be able to spin those tires, but they shouldn't smoke your clutch unless you are really beating on it.

Back