• Register Today It's free!

Need help with a body lift

bladed101

Reaction score
City, State
Sheppard AFB. TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I have a 91 explorer with a 4" suspesion lift and I have decided to put a 3" body lift on it. I have been unable to find on for an automatic all the ones that I have found have been for an explorer with a manual transmision is there a differnce?
I also have a friend that has a body lift for a ranger is there a differnce between the two kits or will it work on an explorer? any help would be great thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the kits for the sploders and for the rangers will be different because they will have a different amount of body mounts..find out how many are on each and if you have enough y ou could pull it off..but you will need the fan shroud drop bracket and with your lift now you'll prolly need a ebrake ext. and a ext. pittman arm if you dont already have them. as for the lift for manuals..the only diff should be that the ones for a manual exploder will come with a shifter ext. which you dont need for the automatics.

the Ranger kit and the explorer kits are the same except for the bumper brakets.

you dont need a ext. pitman arm, its a steering extension. Ranger and explorer kits are the same but ranger has 2 extra pucks.

ok so it sounds like this should work the only other thing I noticed that could be a problem is the trani cooler lines. Is there any one that has actauly done one of these on an explorer with an automatic trani? thanks.

FWIW, I have a new 3" BL kit on Ebay for $60.00.

whats the ebay link?

and whats the diff between a steering ext. and a pittman arm drop?
i been meaning to figure this all out because i have a 3insuspension on my first gen sploder and i am putting a 2in BL on it..what will i need ext. wise?

ExporeRanger said:
and whats the diff between a steering ext. and a pittman arm drop?
A drop pitman arm lowers the steering to create a better angle when doing a suspension lift. A steering extension extends the steering when the body and frame (where the steering box bolts to) are seperated. This gets rid of binding, possible seperation, etc.

thanks..do you know what all extensions im going to need when i put a 2in body lift on top of my 2-3in suspension i have on it right now (i currently have no extensions)

You won't need any extensions per say for a 2" body lift.. You may need to adjust/modify your bumper or bumper brackets.. You may also need some long 1/2" or 3/8" extensions for a socket set.. The front two mounts in the engine compartment can be a pita without a long extension.

yeah but i also have a 3in suspension lift..no extensions still..not even brake lines?

anything?

nope. You have to relocate the parking brake cable underneath the drivers front floor so its not stretched, and also lengthen the ground strap in the engine bay. Thats all that I had to modify other then the obvious. Also I took my master cylinder off with teh brake lins attatched so when I lifted the body 3" I did not have to worry about them. You will have to leave the bracket off the brake lines up by the master when you re mount it, btu the lines have lots of play in them for the 3" lift. I had NO problems what so ever.

dkkne said:
nope. You have to relocate the parking brake cable underneath the drivers front floor so its not stretched, and also lengthen the ground strap in the engine bay. Thats all that I had to modify other then the obvious. Also I took my master cylinder off with teh brake lins attatched so when I lifted the body 3" I did not have to worry about them. You will have to leave the bracket off the brake lines up by the master when you re mount it, btu the lines have lots of play in them for the 3" lift. I had NO problems what so ever.

I have a homade 2" suspension and 3" body lift on my 92 Navaho, no problems here either.

im not gettin exactly what you did with the master cylinder..but no extensions with the brake lines? just take them off ther mounts and let them dangle (adding play to compensate for the lift) and to clariy no steering ext. or drop pitman arm?

ExporeRanger said:
im not gettin exactly what you did with the master cylinder..but no extensions with the brake lines? just take them off ther mounts and let them dangle (adding play to compensate for the lift) and to clariy no steering ext. or drop pitman arm?

Basically the master cylinder is help on by two bolts. Just take those off slide the master cyl out off the studs and let it hang. Install your body lift and then put the Master sylinder back on, just very gently unbend the front and rear brake line that come off the master cylinder to straighten them out a little. Not much was needed even with a 3" lift.

I also did not need to install the steering extention becaseu I have the steering shaft with one rag joint and one U joint instead of two rag joints. The steering slip joint only extended maybe 1/4" and more then 3/4" was still inside the slip joint so I didn't bother with the extention.

I woudl plan on using the steering extention, its easy to put in.

so when i order my body lift..order the steering ext. incase?..and i wont need to extend brake lines..just bend em a lil and they'll accomadate..sounds good..wut about liek the brackets for the ebrake by the rear fender well? my ebrake line is stretched all the way out with my 2-3in suspension already

When you order the body lift, the steering extension is included.. You don't even need to mess with the brake lines or the master cylinder.. The only thing that need adjustment are the radiator & shroud, the parking brake mount under the drivers side from compartment and the bumpers.

sweet..im still a little confused on the ebrake mount on the drivers side?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Back