Need help with aftermarket stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with aftermarket stereo

MattB2091

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
I got a 04 mountaineer with the factory subwoofer. The stereo ks a poweracoustic. Theres one rca cable coming off the stereo that i plugged into the red rca on the wiring harness. Wiring harness is the metra 70-5521. Where does this white rca cable go? I have it plugged intk the HU harness for a dvd player and it makes the sub work? But i can hear vocals through the sub? Also theres 2 blue/white wires coming from the metra harness. One is power, where does the other go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those 2 blue/white wires connect to remote sub amp trigger (this will turn on the amp, the amp has its own power) if your HU has left and right subwoofer rca out connect the white and red respectively. In most cases only one is used (left or right for sub doesn't matter)

I have one of the blue/white wires hooked up to a wire coming off the HU( power amplifier). Do i need the other blue/white wire to tie in with it. Also why am i getting the vocals of the song through the sub. Its muffled but you can understand what its saying.

only pins 1-4 are being used in that sub connector./adapter but it doesn't hurt to tie those blue wires together. If the sub is working then just leave the other wire. Did you try adjusting the frequency cut-off of the sub from the HU adjustment? sometimes some HU has on/off settings for sub (such as in my pioneer)

I'm assuming you connected the RCA jacks to the SUBW out of the HU, if those jacks are in any of L/R pre-amp outputs then you are getting those vocals..

thanks for helping me out,
One last thing, is there any way to get rid of those vocals or no. And should i put a 1.5k ohm resister in the blue/white wire for the subwoofer pop when its turned on.

Does your head unit have EQ settings for the RCA’s? Are there 2 or 3 sets of RCA’s? You are sending the sub full range, and need to find out how to turn on the low pass filter.

There is no rca ports on the HU. Theres one rca coming off the HU. Also there is a equalizer, i have it on rock but i tried the user setting and played with it( didnt fix the vocals coming through). The one rca from the HU is the one i have my harness hooked to.

If it doesn’t have a sub mode you won’t have any luck.

There is no rca ports on the HU. Theres one rca coming off the HU. Also there is a equalizer, i have it on rock but i tried the user setting and played with it( didnt fix the vocals coming through). The one rca from the HU is the one i have my harness hooked to.
this is very confusing, you said no rca ports and then say there's one... if the rca port doesn't have a label "SUBW" or "SUB" or "SUBW L" or "SUBW R" (left or right) then your HU doesn't have a subwoofer out which means you have to add a low pass filter before it goes to the sub amp if using the regular rca outputs (which as mention is full range)

you can use the resistor to step down the voltage (sub amp requires 5v+) or use a voltage regulator chip.

I think he means there is a single pigtail, not a rca jack.

What’s the model number of the HU? I’d drop under $100 on an aftermarket amp and small area sub, and ditch that factory garbage. It’d be way better in the long run.

I think he means there is a single pigtail, not a rca jack.

What’s the model number of the HU? I’d drop under $100 on an aftermarket amp and small area sub, and ditch that factory garbage. It’d be way better in the long run.

or get a better HU since IMO the factory subwoofer is OK unless somebody want some ghetto bass that shakes the whole car.

The stereo is a power acoustik PDN-626B, and ya i meant to say theres one rca pigtail on the back, not rca jacks.

I’m sure the factory sub is sub par sound quality wise Vs a $40-50 aftermarket sub. No 8” is going to give you ‘ghetto bass’ or shake anything.

According to their website that has front and rear preouts and a variable subwoofer preout. You’ll have to look into the settings, there will be a way to turn on the low pass filter.

it's a cheap HU with GPS . http://www.poweracoustik.com/downloads/PDN-626B.pdf, the only control for the subwoofer is ON/OFF no low pass filter settings. How can it have a variable sub output when you can't set it. A cheap 2DIN pioneer/kenwood/jvc with no GPS/screen that runs around $100-$150 has lots of sound customization and of better sound quality.

Not the end of the world. Just need a cheap amp.

Back