need help with leaf spring bushings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with leaf spring bushings

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
Hi all, I recently picked up a pretty nice set of leaf springs from the pick n pull to replace my old and sagging set on my Trac. I have a question for anyone who has replaced the leaf spring bushings on their springs. I pulled these leafs from an 03 trac, exactly like mine. When I ordered the bushings, I verified that they are in fact the exact ones I need. However, when the bushings came in, I noticed that their outside diameter is much smaller than the bushings inside the springs I have. the bushings in the springs measure at roughly 46mm OD.
uoxGzuKh.jpg

the bushings that came from rock auto measure at roughly 41mm.
Op3OmTrh.jpg

if i leave the steel casing of the old bushings in the springs they look like they fit, but that doesnt seem right. I even went and sourced a set from O'reilly autoparts, and the sets they sell also measure in at 41mm, just like the ones I got online from rock auto. Has anyone run into this? Can anyone please advise on this? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the old bushings "swaged" in the bore of the springs after they are installed? Swagging the bushing would keep them from "sliding" in and out of the bore. Any idea what OEM/Motorcraft bushings measure?

I ran into this issue long ago. I ended up taking them to a spring shop, and they pressed out the old, and pressed in a new set..... from Ford. Special order!

There might also be a different size for yours. I know the explorer's have a couple sizes, depending on years, and weight rating the packs are.

Another option is to burn out the old bushings, leaving the metal ring, and use new push in split bushings.

Are the old bushings "swaged" in the bore of the springs after they are installed? Swagging the bushing would keep them from "sliding" in and out of the bore. Any idea what OEM/Motorcraft bushings measure?

Thanks for the reply, the bushing that are in the springs right now are just press fit into the leafs. I called Ford parts and service and they could not give me what the OEM bushings measure at. They said I would need to buy them first to find that out. They quoted me st 200 dollars for 2 bushings.

I ran into this issue long ago. I ended up taking them to a spring shop, and they pressed out the old, and pressed in a new set..... from Ford. Special order!

There might also be a different size for yours. I know the explorer's have a couple sizes, depending on years, and weight rating the packs are.

Another option is to burn out the old bushings, leaving the metal ring, and use new push in split bushings.

Thanks for the reply. I may need to go to a shop like you did since I have tried to find bushings that are similar in diameter to the ones in the leafs right now, but not even Ford was sure that if they ordered the bushings for me at 200 bucks that they would fit.

Um.... If I'm correct Ford "adapted" other Ranger parts onto the S/T. I would suggest that you see if the p/n for the leaf springs of the Ranger and S/T are the same.

Um.... If I'm correct Ford "adapted" other Ranger parts onto the S/T. I would suggest that you see if the p/n for the leaf springs of the Ranger and S/T are the same.

I did, they aren't. The PN for the 2003 sport trac is listed as RB207 (rock auto), and the 2003 ranger is RB159.

I used the frame mounted bushings from the prothane kit 6-1019. I bought new leafs with bushings already installed and not sure where I put the rest of the bushings for this kit so I can’t confirm if the rest of this kit fits or not. But the frame bushings were correct, I would bet the rest of the kit would probably fit as well.
CB2A5480-B58F-4121-828B-AA8926D04028.png

I have 2004 ST 4x4

T
I used the frame mounted bushings from the prothane kit 6-1019. I bought new leafs with bushings already installed and not sure where I put the rest of the bushings for this kit so I can’t confirm if the rest of this kit fits or not. But the frame bushings were correct, I would bet the rest of the kit would probably fit as well. View attachment 315289
I have 2004 ST 4x4. This kit is for 91-94 Ex

I used the frame mounted bushings from the prothane kit 6-1019. I bought new leafs with bushings already installed and not sure where I put the rest of the bushings for this kit so I can’t confirm if the rest of this kit fits or not. But the frame bushings were correct, I would bet the rest of the kit would probably fit as well. View attachment 315289
I have 2004 ST 4x4

Thanks for the info. I just ordered another set a few days ago. If those end up being wrong, I'll give these a shot.

Back