• Register Today It's free!

need help with squeaking nosie..

bobscharton

Reaction score
City, State
fresno ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Hi, My name is Bob from Fresno, ca. I have a couple ??? if I may, I have 1998 V6 explorer. when I start the engine I hear a loud squeahling sound....kinda like a loose belt. I really dont think it that though. after an few seconds the noise goes away but......if I turn on the headlights it comes back and then needle on the batt gauge goes way down? turn them off it goes back up and the noise stops? Also cannot run the heater cause hear comes the noise? I am thinking it may be the Alt? could that be? or do u think it is the belt or belt tension pulley? I am confused....sorry.
any thoughts other than driving the car off a bridge would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks and all the best, Bob

Hi, My name is Bob from Fresno, ca. I have a couple ??? if I may, I have 1998 V6 explorer. when I start the engine I hear a loud squeahling sound....kinda like a loose belt. I really dont think it that though. after an few seconds the noise goes away but......if I turn on the headlights it comes back and then needle on the batt gauge goes way down? turn them off it goes back up and the noise stops? Also cannot run the heater cause hear comes the noise? I am thinking it may be the Alt? could that be? or do u think it is the belt or belt tension pulley? I am confused....sorry.
any thoughts other than driving the car off a bridge would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks and all the best, Bob

Sounds definately like the belt! Either the belt is loose, tensioner is worn, or belt needs replacement. The signs are when you turn on your lights or any accesories, the batt meter drops because its taking more of a load causing the belt to slip and not spin fast enuf to produce enough current and causing your belt to squeal because of the extra load on the alternator.

Could also be belt/pulley misalignment...

I fought a squealing belt for quite some time and replaced the a/c compressor clutch, the ps pump, the idler pulley and the belt tensioner...All had almost 200k on them and I could not isolate the noise so I did that as preventive maintenance... Well it turned out that the ps pulley was too far in toward the engine and was loading the belt sideways...

The noise would start at cold startup and then go away after 10-15 mins of driving...

If your voltage drops when you turn on lights and other accesories you may need to replace the brush assy in the alternator... Or have the battery and its connections checked for contact...And it could be making the noise you hear as well...The brush assy is like 6 or 8 bucks through either autozone or advanced auto and after removing the alternator from the engine takes 2 bolts to remove and replace...

Back