• Register Today It's free!

Need help with tires and rims

Chargers21

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I have an 01 sport trac and am putting a tt shackles and a body lift on it. I'm about to order some new tires, size 265/75R16 and I want to keep them on the stock rims to save a little bit of money, can anybody tell me if these will fit? The site says The tires rim width range is 7-8 inches and the meas. Rim Width is 7.5 inches. Also I'm ordering the tires from a website called treadwright, their my first pair of retreads and I was just wondering if anybody has bought from this site and used the re treads and can tell me if it's a good idea, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You won't need a body lift to fit 265/75-16's. Here is my old '05 Trac with a TT/Shackle lift and 265's.

DCP_0052.gif

The stock rims measure 7.5" on the outside but the correct measurement is from inner lip to inner lip which is 7.0". With a TT/Shackle AND a body lift people fit 285/15-16's which is a narrow 33" and a lot of people don't bother with the body lift even then although you will need about 0.75" wheel spacers at least on the rear with the stock wheels. My 265's rubbed on the rear inner fender and the front swaybar corners but not enough that I'd notice. Also most aftermarket 16x8's have a GM-type offset, meaning too much backspace for Fords. The least backspace I've seen on a 16x8 wheel is on the Pro Comp 1069 and 1089 which is 4.0" IIRC.

I have 35" Treadwright tires and like them so far. Only had them about 4 months but have no concerns.

I convinced my friend with a Frontier to try treadwrights. He got the Warden ATs and loves them. He's only had them about a month though. A lot of people really like Goodyear Duratracs as well. Personally I run BFG KM2s and I like how they wear on the road and they aren't deafening. Also I think they do pretty well in dirt and on rocks.

Are his the bead to bead wrap? Wish I had waited another month or they had told me they were switching to that so soon. I'll admit, these are considerably louder than the KM2s. Love the tread though and all this rain has given them plenty of tests lately.

No I didn't see that option on the wardens. They're BFG AT casings though. Did you hydroplane on your old KM2s at all? I haven't had any problems in the rain with mine yet.

I read that hydroplaning was an issue for some with KM2s but never experienced that myself.

here is mine with 265/75R16 on stock wheels only rub i get is full lock on the sway bar. they fit fine with no wheel roll. i have BFG mud terrain cassings with the gaurd dog tread they are treadwrights. it hums down the road but its not over bearing.

20121103_1424341.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help, if I can find a set of 33's that fit on my stock rims I would much rather do that but most of the tires I looked at required at least 16x8 rims. Whatever I end up doing I will post pics when I get it finished :)

Johnny o, you said most 16x8 wheels won't ft on fords because of backspacing, does this mean 4.25 inches is too much?

those would work most people run 15X8 with 4" backspacing you really want 4" or less backspace this in turn pushes the wheel outward giving stability stance and more aggressive looks

i would say if you plan 8" wide wheels that i would shoot for a 4"-3" backspace this puts the mounting surface of the wheel offset deeper into the rim at the rotor/wheel surface you can have 4" to 5" of tire sticking out toward the edge of the truck

If you do a body lift, tt and shackles and 265/75R16, I think you'll eventually get to the point that you think the tires a bit too small for that much lift. I know I did. That's when I jumped straight to 35s.

Here's mine right after adding that exact setup:

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

I liked it ok and was very happy with it right after adding it all. Just too much wheel well gap for my taste, though. I'd either recommend going with 33s or leaving out either the TT/shackles or the body lift. For the best ride and plenty of room for the tires, a body lift only and 265/75s would be about perfect without sacrificing any ride comfort.

For wheels, the above advice is good. 3.5"-4" seems to be the sweet spot. The less backspacing, the more the tire will be moved wider. If you end up with a 12.5" wide tire, I think 4.25" backspacing is perfect but that's just me. 11.5" wide, I'd shoot for 3.75"-4" backspacing. 10.5", go with 3" to 3.5" to give it some width. If you have too little backspacing and a wider tire, though, you'll be in for a lot more trimming than necessary. Although, a body lift and 265s shouldn't need any trimming at all, regardless of backspacing.

Ah! Thanks for reposting that pic Offtrac! I was trying to figure out what my trac will look like after my BL. Couldnt find that pic of yours anywhere. Looks like I may go with treadwrights and maybe keep my duratracs on my stock rims for winter tires...

anyway, heres 265/75-16 Duratracs on Vision wheels. I have a TT and SL. No rubbing lock to lock as far as I can tell. There may be some in the rear because my springs are getting pretty saggy.

DSC07287_zpsa9fc59fa.jpg

Johnny o, you said most 16x8 wheels won't ft on fords because of backspacing, does this mean 4.25 inches is too much?

That's really the MOST you can get away with.

Isn't stock backspacing 4.5"?
It's about that but when you put bigger tires on, it's instant rub. Before the torsion twist my old '05 Trac would rub the stock tires at full lock just backing out of my parking space at work.

This is with 2" TT, 3" body lift on a 2001 ST 4x4. The tires are 255 85 16 KM2 which are 33.7" tall or a 34 and the wheels are Dick Cepek DC2 16x8. I did minor trim on the plastic but 35" would have fit also as they are almost the same size.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,179
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,710

Back