• Register Today It's free!

need help.

stoneyj69

Reaction score
City, State
palmer, ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xl
when I turn my steering wheel when the engine off and my fluid shoots out the top of the steering cap is that normal.

also has anybody ever replace the steering gear how hard was that.? 94 x.

Steering fluid shooting out of the top of the P/S pump is normal when the engine is off, the pump re-circulates the fluid that's in the reservoir when the engine is on, if the engine is off, the fluid can't re-circulate and winds up shooting out of the top...

I can't help much with the steering gear - are you referring to the entire 'gearbox' or parts in it that you're looking to overhaul?

As niteklub79 said, turning the wheel with the truck off will get fluid everywhere. It is less bad if you turn it slow AND have the tires off the ground, or at least on camber plates.

As to changing the steering box. The hardest part is getting the pitman arm off the Steering box. It can be on there really tight. They make a pitman arm puller and you can rent it from from Autozone/Orielly's and a few other auto parts stores.

If your suspension/steering hasn't been apart recently you may have issues getting the tie rod off the pitman arm (don't need to do it, but it can help things move around).

Once the pitman arm is off the steering box there are only a few hoses and a few bolts holding it on. I have no inner fender well liner on our X so its easy to get to. It may be a little harder to reach everything if you have to go through the top instead of between the frame and body.

~Mark

Back