Need information about HO2S for 1994 XLT w 4.0 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need information about HO2S for 1994 XLT w 4.0 OHV

Nikola

Reaction score
City, State
Skopje,Macedonia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have 1994 XLT with 4.0 OHV (VIN X) with 5 speed Mazda manual.( for US & Canada market)
According to any manual (chilton's, Haynes etc) there's must be two HO2S, but there is not nowhere.
The holes in the exhaust manifold is closed with factory maded screwes, the wiring for two HO2S exist, but instead of them it is connected with some kind of electric by pass( it is factory bypass marked with blue tape stamped with:
FORD
F33D 13N850
N5F4D
Explorer have catalitic converter, fuse for HEGO exist (15 Amps)and only unleaded fuel is allowed (87 octane)
In comparation with manuals, there is diferent position of components under the hood:
-ICM is mounted behind right front light;
-batery is behind right front light too, also and starter relay;
-power distribution box is above the right front wheel;
-bottles for winshield washers and engine coolant is behind left front light;
-there is one connector for EEC test with only 4 wires(behind the PowerDB);
-there is electronic device manufactured from Ate wich is marked" ABS controled" in position where is have to be PCM above the left front wheel
( is this a PCM?);
- also there is connector for ABS test near them;
-there is some green electronic device behind glove compartment
( I can't decode wath is that);
- also there is one big electronic device with many wires and massive cooling construction in the tool compartment in the trunk;
- etc..
Because I need signal from HO2S for LPG equipment and it is not possible to emulate the same, what can I do?
Can I mount HO2S and connect with existing wires?
What will happen with engine run if I do so?
How is it possible for engine to work properly w/o HO2S?
Where I can find DLC and what shape it have?
What are that electonic devices in the glove compartment and tool compartment?
Where I can find right electonic schemes for my Explorer?

Nikola
1994 XLT 4.0 OHV 5 speed Mazda
electronic 4x4 and low range

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Nikola,
Welcome to the site.
I take it that you are trying to convert from petrol to liquid petrolium gas (LPG). Is this correct? And you are wanting to know about the oxygen sensors (HO2S)?
I believe that in trucks from the US and Canada that have Emissions regulations should have 2 oxygen sensors in the places that you described. It looks like they are not needed in your country, but if you were to put these parts in, I don't think it would hurt to put them in, unless the emissions control module is not programmed for it, in which case it probably wouldn't affect anything, since it isn't looking for a signal from there. I would have to check on this.
The module that is in the back cargo area where the jack is, is the 4 wheel drive computer.
The module that is buy the glove compartment I believe, is the general equipment module(GEM). I don't have my book right here next to me so I'm not sure. I will have to get back to you with a confirmation. Hopefully someone else more knowledge can confirm that if they see your post.
I would have to also look up the other parts you are asking about, and you would probably be better off getting the Ford manuals. They are expensive, but would give you the exact information you are requesting for your particular year and model. I would have to look around, but I'm sure I can find someplace where you can buy them. Hope this helps for now.

By the way, how did you find this site, and please excuse my lack of knowledge on geography, but just exactly where is Macedonia ?

I dont know if this is right or not... but it sounds like he has a pretty much "normal" explorer.... except the bypass on the O2's. If the wiring is all there... and its an Electronic bypass... one would assume that if he removes the bypass and installs O2's, they should function. If the 02's were disabled in the computer, there wouldnt be a need for an electronic bypass on the 02's.

nick

Ya know... I was thinking... and I think that might be the most intelligent thing I have said in the history of my membership to explorer forum. Even if it is wrong.

:)

Nick,
Your probably right that he could just hook the O2 sensors up and it might work. Dead Link Removed
Any comments on the other stuff he's asking about?

Well... I dont know what this LPG stuff is... so I cant really help that much. I know that you can go and rip out your 02's and the engine will still run. You just lose fuel economy. As far as correct diagrams... Chiltons is all I can really think of. You can try a few web sites out there, that for a sign up fee... you get access to diagrams that are specific to your model/year. That might help identify all your electrical issues. The ABS unit he is referring to I believe it the ABS computer and the ABS test plug. The brakes get thier own computer I think. If course I cant back any of this up. :)

nick

Macedonia

(Ray, if I remember my Bible rightly, Macedonia was/is just east of Italy, between the southern Italy region and Turkey, straddling the Adriatic and Aegean Seas in the northern Mediterranean region. It is where the cities of Thessolanica ("Thessalonians") and Corinth ("I and II Corinthians") were/are. I suppose it hasn't moved, so that would be my guess where it is now.)

Welcome to the board! I am sorry to be unable to help but am sure you will get knowledgeable information from someone who does soon. I am also curious as to how you found our website?

Re: Macedonia

T629410A.gif

Macedonia is depicted as "FRYOM" on the map, just north of Greece.

Welcome to the board, Nikola! You should find it quite useful in learning more about your vehicle.

LOL ! Yeah, "Just north of Greece" is a lot quicker way of saying it than the description I gave, DOH!

Just thought I'd give everyone a geography lesson about the Mediterranean region :D

Hey Nicola!!

It's good to see you on the site. Welcome! Unfortunately I was out this evening so I didn't get the chance to respond right away. I spoke with Nicola via e-mail last night and I am happy to see him post, I figured you all would be able to help him with his question. Were you able to find the answers you were looking for? Welcome to the site Nikola, it's the best on the net!

Originally posted by GJarrett
Just thought I'd give everyone a geography lesson about the Mediterranean region :D
Is this going to be on the test? :cool:

For all;
Thank you for responding to my post.
Macedonia, on the map marked with FYROM (Former Yougoslav Republic Of Macedonia- too silly to explain) is right between Greece on south, Yougoslavia on north, Albania on west and Bolgaria on east, on the Balcan penninsula. Capital is Skopje, population about 2,5 milions, most christian, language is macedonian and very small GDP.
Here is mostly driven Land Rovers ( I have one too) Lada Niva (that is very cheap,small, with good of road performance and bad mileage(very thirsty) russian 4x4) all kind post-military vehicles (Pinzgauers,FIATs, Mercedes G,etc) Suzukys (Jimny and Vitara) and lately the south Korean Huyindai and Kia(they are cheap too).
Here is not much of american 4x4(exept Cherokee and Grand Cherokee-mostly diesel powered).becouse of their price and tremenjius taxes wich we have here(21% custom,55% special tax-akcize and 19% VAT, which become completly more than 136%- all that for vehicles which has over than 2000 cubic cantimetres) and big diference between prices for diesell(abaut 0.55$ for liter) and petrol(1.00$ for liter) and wery poor service for non europian and non Korean vehicles.
Fortunately, thanks to much more american presence here(we are on the border to Kosovo)things are changed for better.
The people start to think diferently, and her is now all kind of Fords(mostly Explorers, but also a few Expeditions and Navigators too).
Unfortunately for me and my off road driving friends( we have some associate,but not on the bases on the vehicle type), mostly of them is driving for prestige and owners dont know anything about vehicle.The service here is not so good( I think for Explorers-even in Greece,where they have lot of diesel powered Rangers in bigest Ford service in Thessaloniki they can't check my vehicle-cant find DLC)
That is my third american 4x4( I drive before old Dodge pick-up,and diesel powered Blazer) and I find this site for the first time in the magazine (maybe Four wheeler or Truckin's) but I connect when I make search with Coppernic with key word "Explorer".
I'm very satisfied with Explorer, mileage is abaut 15-16 mpg on road,9-12 mpg off-road( even without HO2S), but becouse of this energetic crise price of the fuel become very high( 3.7 $ for gallon).
I drive a lot of on and off road, and I decide to make my Ford bi-fuel and change to LPG(1.55 $ for gallon) (wich is Liquid Petrol Gas,mix of propane and butane, enviroment friendly, engine friendly, 10% less power fuel with octane rating 116-120).( I already transform one VW Jetta and I'm very satisfied)(I'm working like service engineer for fuel and gas industry burners)
For this I need signal from HO2S to the gas computer to calculate right air-fuel ratio.( It is possible to make w/o HO2S but than mileage will be decrease, also and engine power)
I can't find where is Powertraine Control Module, and Data Link Connector.( That I need for investigate did missing of the HO2S is marked on the computer like three digit defect code( according to manuals I have EEC-IV with separate Ignition Control Module))
Can anybody tell me for sure, can I mount and connect HO2S without possibility to burn-out computer?
And repeat, where is has to be DLC and wath shape it have?
What is this 4 wires connector marked with "EEC test"?
Explorer is US and Canada specification because a lot of feature is different for model which is designate for Europe( for ex.:rear turn light in Europe must be amber and separate from stop light, which is not case in my Explorer)
Also, is it possible that electonic device wich is marked "ABS controled" have connector with 28 wires, or maybe that is PCM with plus ABS function?
And, for Ray L., can you explain to me what is 4 wheel drive computer and GEM?( I can't fid explanation in my manuals)
I make a bigger intro this time because I like to explain where I come from, but next time I'll concentrate on Explorer themes( I'll be always happy to help anybody who have question about Macedonia and region)

Nikola Dameski, Skopje, Macedonia
1994 4.0 OHV 5 speed Mazda manual
electronic 4x4 and low range

Okay... I think the Datalink connector you are referring to is the EEC Test. You can hook that up to a code reader and it will tell you the error codes in your computer. There should be a 3 pronged plug and a single smaller plug that you will use. I dont think you need to worry about damaging your computer by hooking up 02's. Sounds like all you need to do is remove the bypass and it should work. is there anyway you could post pictures so we know exactly what you are talking about? Anyways... I think I answered most of your questions... and I wouldnt worry about a computer burn out... it seems like its pretty hardy. Good choice on an american SUV!

BUILT FORD TOUGH! :)

nick

Ahaha stop trying to be someone else cybergasm! You'll never match his welcome-ing skeeelz for a hundred years!

welcome aboard

Back