• Register Today It's free!

Need Recommendations on Ski Racks

Longs

Reaction score
City, State
Cranberry Township, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
I'm looking for a ski rack to mount to the factory rack on my '93 Explorer - want to hold 4 - 6 pair of skis. Does anyone have recommendations on which brands that are reasonably priced? Any recommendations for online sources that you've dealt with?

Thanks in advance
Longs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a yakima rack that with a fit kit mounts directly to the factory roof rack. I got mine for $80 off ebay, but you can get them from a bike or ski store for $120 with locks and the fit kit. It will hold four snowboards or approx. 6 pairs It is called the Yakima Buttondown 6. Also check if Barrecrafters sells any racks that fit onto a factory rack. Hope this helps

i have heard that thule is a good company too

I got a Yakima Buttondown 6 with the lock cores and a mount kit for around $130. It fits great and looks good. I would recommend it.

I do know you can go to Ebay and bid on ski racks. Some of the ones they offer are pretty cheap. I personally would stay away from those and go with a proven brand name like Yakima or Thule and spend the extra cash. Losing skis while going 80 down the Interstate is very bad for your karma, not to mention the traffic behind you.

I ended up with the Thule flat 6 pair kit (725), roof mount adapters, and locks for $112.80 plus tax at a local ski shop that was having a sale. It's the same kit listed on Explorer Express for $129.00

I was prepared to support Explorer Express with my purchase since they're a sponsor here, but with the shipping and the price difference, I had to go with the local shop. I did find a few other web pages that were a little cheaper than Explorer Express, but Explorer Express does a nice job bundling the rack, adapters, and locks into one package specific to the model year of the Explorer.

Thule RaxXx

I am very, very happy with my Thule Rack system. looks great and works amazing. everything is interchangable and it is amazingly solid. a bit pricey since i went and got an entire system including a faring but a quality product indeed. i think that you would be best off with the ski clamps that bolt directly to your existing facory rack. they prices shouldnt be that bad either since you wont need new bars and feet.

Here's what I purchased - the last picture at the bottom of the page - TH725/512(C23)

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/catalog.html?2201

TH725 is the ski rack itself
512 is the kit that allows you to attach the ski rack to the factory crossbars
C23 is the lock kits

I haven't put it on yet, but I assume it'll be pretty easy. The salesman at the Ski shop also told me to be sure that I install the skis with the tips facing the rear of the vehicle - facing forward apparently can fatigue the skis when the tips face into the wind.

Longs

that is perfect for what you need! im glad to see that you went with the Thule (pronounced TOO-LEE) youll be very happy with it, enjoy.

Back