Need some help on 91 sport shaking problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help on 91 sport shaking problem

POPPYB

Reaction score
City, State
gastonia ,nc.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Iwant to thank everybody for all the help for my question past and now.My problem started when i put some 31x10.50x15 on.Once i put them on I had shaking at 65 mph and i found my wheel bearings were a little loose so I tightned them up and it drove great no vibration or shaking.Was going hunting and got about 40 miles down the road and pulled in to get a bag of ice and when i started to back up something popped just like it had jumped out of gear.wasnt out of gear no pot hole so i get to the interstate and get up to 55 to 70 it shakes and worse when changing lanes or in a curve.I rechecked bearings were tight and spun great ,I checked radius arm bushings still look new,i changed last year.ball joints are tight tie rods are tight rebalanced the tires twice.the only thing i can think of was the auto hub maybe popped.the needle bearing in the back of hub cover feel a little worn on both sides.could that cause shaking,its not been in 4x4.i also checked and cleaned the calipers and made sure they werent binding.drive shafts and universel joints are tight.what do you think guys im stumped.thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the auto hubs grabbing and then letting go try cleaning them as many say with kerosene or other solvent to get any and all grease out of them. Then lube them with ATF but dump out any extra so there lightly lubed.

I had thought of going to Auto hubs being I no longer go off road really and only need it for trips to the snow so not having to get out would be nice and I loved them on my old Dodge but the more I read here the more I think I will stay with my warn manuals I put on some years back.

I had planned to put manual hubs on this week but im wanting to make sure i dont have bigger problems.the hubs are greasy but after i got home a hundred miles later the hubs werent hot so I didnt think that was the problem you maybe right I have read alot of posts of the failures they have.I dont go off road much anymore myself only a few places i hunt that i would need it in 4x4.Thanks alot for your help Im going to clean them tomorrow.Im willing to try anything,Ive had the wheels off so much Im probably going to have to replace the wheel studs.thanks again

Anybody else have any ideas.thanks

Check the drag link in the steering.

I think you need to take your truck back in and have them do another road force balance on those tires and check any for defects. I brought one set of tires in for three balance jobs before one tech finally noticed on the machine that one of the tires (retreads) was out of round. Sure enough if I swap that one out the vibe at 65 is gone.

Thanks alot.Im going to tomorrow,Its raining today and I want to check the drag link to that Unclemeat suggested.But its getting worse,as bad as its starting to shake it should be noticeable.thanks alot for your help.

Dose it kind of make a clunk sound when you put it in gear? As it could be a bad U joint also had one do that to me on an old truck found out the hard way at 70 MPH the front joint broke and dropped to the pavement. Let me tell ya that will make any one have to change shorts!

The tire thing is also another one as was said an out of round tire or even a wheel weight that came off can do it. Same with a bad tire even if it is new.
One other thing as I am thinking I had a kind of bad vibration in my Ex at 65 to 70 to wear you could not use the rear view mirror because it became blurry. Did a tune up (new plugs and wires) and it go away. Same thing can happen from a dirty MAF or other things that keep the motor from running right.
Also when you’re under it check your shocks and the radiuses arm bushings for wear and or looseness,

Thanks huntman58.It only made the clunk one time.It runs good and its not as bad when you are in the throttle,when you let up or just maintain speed and when changing lanes thats when its worse.The radius bushings have been replaced and i have rechecked them to make sure no problem there.I have had the tires rebalanced and i watched them while on the machine and they spun true.Hopefully ill find it today all the great suggestions I have had here ,and thanks to you all for the help.

Back