• Register Today It's free!

Need some help with shocks

derfiticulum

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
So I've been driving my '02 XLT since May of '03 and the shocks (front especially) are starting to sound and feel pretty worn. I'm pretty able-bodied when it comes to mechanical stuff. I can change out rotors and pads and I'm not afraid to tear interior panels off to replace switches and stuff. Is replacing the shocks something that I could tackle in my driveway? And if so, what should I be replacing my stock shocks with. I'm not too concerned about maintaining a factory ride/height. Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had good luck with the Monroe Sensa-Trac series and have them on all my daily drivers.

Easy to do in your driveway. A few tools and you're set.

Those Sensa-Tracs look like they're just shocks. I had a guy at a garage tell me that I should look into a coil-over kit. Is that overkill or the wrong thing entirely. I don't have a spring compressor so I imagine I can't really replace just the shocks without that, huh?

You can get the Sensa Trac Quick struts that come completely assembled. Simply unbolt the old and bolt in the new. They are what I use and have been completely happy with their fitment and quality.

Thanks, man. Are you running those on all four corners or does the rear need something different?

Thanks, man. Are you running those on all four corners or does the rear need something different?

I installed a full set (all four) and couldn't be happier. Brought the Ex back up to the factory ride height and though a little stiff for the first few thousand miles, they soften up and ride like factory.

Back