• Register Today It's free!

Need some new Tires and Wheel

Reaper73

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer ST XLT
With my Job I am out on gas and oil well sites constantly. I also drive long distances on highways so I need an 8 ply tire that can handle the jagged rocks and won't wear out in 40k miles or less. Also I am looking at getting some blacked out wheels such as these

I am really just looking at any suggestions because right now I have the stock 245 65 R17 on and if I cut the wheel all the way, they rub up against the rubber piece of the fender well protector. I am thinking of putting some spacers on and lifting it up and inch or two to help with clearance.

Also, has anyone removed the fender flares and found a more aesthetically pleasing alternative?

as a plan B, what about the spare rims? They are steel and from what i remember you can fix those. You can bend the bead back with a special crow bar and its good as new. Might be worth it in the long run if your off road in real rough terrain. If remember the rock climbers on the heeps like them for that reason.
Stock they take 245/65/17's

As to tire? BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All-Season (note i don't own them. ..just saw them on the web.

Back