Need some tranny/t-case help

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
If anyone is familiar with the 5r55e tranny and the 1354 electric t-case, I have a question. I have a tranny fluid leak coming from somewhere, I originally thought it was my tranny to t-case gasket. So I took off the t-case and replaced the gasket, but I found something interesting. At the back of the transmission where the t-case mounts, there was a small port directly under the tail shaft, and tranny fluid was pouring out of it when I took the t-case off. And it would seem that the extension housing would be completely full of fluid when the t-case is bolted to the tranny. Has anyone ever had there t-case off and seen this port? And was fluid pouring out of it?

I wish I could have taken a pic but fluid was pouring out, and I was trying to put the t-case back on without getting fluid in my face.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That happens -- mine does it. Not sure if its normal though. But wait for the fluid to stop dripping out, then put on the trans-transfer case gasket, seal it up, and refill the trans to normal level.

And BTW, are you sure you have the 1354? Cauz you should have the 4405.

I thought it was a 1354, I will double check. But I tried waiting to see if the fluid stopped and never did.

Give it time, the fluid will stop, go watch TV or something -- the vehicle can only hold so much fluid after all right? ;). Also, there's a little cavity in front of that hole, you can put on some latex gloves and scoot some of the fluid out of the cavity to accelerate the draining.

But what i do not understand is that the gasket is a thin paper gasket. Not the typical type of gasket to hold oil.

Thats correct -- its just a piece of high density paper. But if you'd like, you can put RTV on both side of the gasket.

BTW, diff cover gaskets are similar in material.

I wonder if its supposed to have fluid in the tailhousing. It seems most if not all the auto's do though.

There isn't a drop of ATF in the tailhousing on my M5OD. There is a line cut to drain in the back of the tailhousing where it meets the t-case. Makes me wonder why the gasket is even there.

Back