Need to remove panel from rear hatch door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to remove panel from rear hatch door

all4ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer
I have been searching for a thread here for rear hatch panel removal, hoping someone else may have already posted.
I have a 95 Explorer XLT with the rear hatch door with the "T"-handle. The door handle has gotten to be very hard to turn and I was hoping to lubricate it before something breaks. I'm hoping someone here can tell me how that panel is removed.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way I did it on my 97 there is a grab loop, remove that screw. Unscrew the finger lock, and a small panel near the latch too. Might pry out. And then those dadburned plastic pins around the upper area. And then it has to lift up because there are some plastic hooks molded into the panel, so you must pull up a half inch or so. Careful if you have rear defroster watch the wires.

The lift-gate interior panel is held to the lift-gate with plastic hooks on the bottom (below the window) and metal push-in clips along the sides and top of the window. There may also be a single screw under the smaller plastic cover by the window latch.

1. Remove the 2 screws that hold the pull-down strap to the lift-gate and remove the strap.

2. Remove the small cover near the rear window latch and the single screw you may find under it.

3. Using a trim panel removal tool, stick it between the plastic panel and the metal part of the door, starting at the bottom of the window, and slide it up until you encounter the first retaining clip. Then pop the clip out.

4. Proceed around the rear window sides and top. If I remember correctly there are 2 clips on each slide and 3-4 along the top.

5. Once the clips are out, simply lift the lower part of the panel upward to unhook it from the door. There are maybe 8-10 plastic hooks to disengage.

The lift-gate interior panel is held to the lift-gate with plastic hooks on the bottom (below the window) and metal push-in clips along the sides and top of the window. There may also be a single screw under the smaller plastic cover by the window latch.

1. Remove the 2 screws that hold the pull-down strap to the lift-gate and remove the strap.

2. Remove the small cover near the rear window latch and the single screw you may find under it.

3. Using a trim panel removal tool, stick it between the plastic panel and the metal part of the door, starting at the bottom of the window, and slide it up until you encounter the first retaining clip. Then pop the clip out.

4. Proceed around the rear window sides and top. If I remember correctly there are 2 clips on each slide and 3-4 along the top.

5. Once the clips are out, simply lift the lower part of the panel upward to unhook it from the door. There are maybe 8-10 plastic hooks to disengage.
How important is that panel? I'm just thinking of taking mine off and leaving it off. Is it just for looks? Or does it have some type of purpose? If all that is below it is glass then why put another back on? Remove the cracked one and be done with it. Am I missing something?

How important is that panel? I'm just thinking of taking mine off and leaving it off. Is it just for looks? Or does it have some type of purpose? If all that is below it is glass then why put another back on? Remove the cracked one and be done with it. Am I missing something?

it's just for looks, but it will look like crap w/out it. makes sense if it's just a trail rig I guess.

Back