• Register Today It's free!

Need to replace headlight switch

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
Did a whole bunch of searching but didnt see a step by step write up for a headlight switch removal and replacement? Does entire dash need to come off? I bought the switch at Autozone. Wondering if I can do this after work or if I should leave it for a Saturday???

Pull the front bezel off from the dash (remove two screws on either side of the ashtray, then it just pulls off... some model years you might have to pull the stereo out also), then unscrew the bushing from around the headlight switch shaft and take out the two screws that hold the switch support plate in. Then pull the switch out and unplug it from the wiring harness.

(at least I think that's how it came out just going by memory... it's not a hard job)

Was it a simple fix as far as you recall?

Just did the headlight switch. Yes it was super easy. Think it took like 10 or 15 minutes. While doing this job and pulling the bezel from the dash, be careful on breaking any tabs. I think theres like 6 or the clips that hold the bezel in place besides the torxs screws under the ashtray

Back